Iowa High School Football Playoffs

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Farm Bureau and Hyvee (SNAP program money) bucking up for the super Hi Def broadcast on the new channel. What is virtual campus....the flashing ad that is indeterminate.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
8-Player has a limit of 125 total student enrollment in 9th, 10th, and 11th grades (it's how classifications are determined). Don Bosco's 9-11 enrollment is 84. There are only 16 schools with a lower enrollment in 8-player. I don't think the problem is that Don Bosco is sandbagging. The problem is they are a small private school located near a larger population base. It provides a large pool of students to draw from, while maintaining a low enrollment. Gives those types of schools an advantage against schools with similar enrollment figures.

The Iowa boys athletic union really needs to do away with the BEDS count for football, and just have the teams send their roster from say the past 5 years, and then use that count to determine which class schools are allowed to play. Something wrong with schools that have 30 to 40 kids out for football, playing kids that are scraping to get 20 out.

About 5 years ago, I was in the office of the school that I was teaching and coaching at, and the sec. said that the AD from another district school was on the phone. She asked me to take the call, he wanted to schedule a JV game, and wanted to know if we had enough kids to play them. I told him that we only had 17 out for football, one being a girl, and we were struggling to find enough kids for varsity games, and did not have the numbers to play a JV game. I then asked him how many kids they had out, his answer was 43 players.

It would also help if they stopped the practice of allowing schools to stay in 8 man one cycle, when they are over, but will be back down in 2 years when they recycle the districts.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: ca4cy and FatNTired

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
The Iowa boys athletic union really needs to do away with the BEDS count for football, and just have the teams send their roster from say the past 5 years, and then use that count to determine which class schools are allowed to play. Something wrong with schools that have 30 to 40 kids out for football, playing kids that are scraping to get 20 out.

i agree something needs to change, but wouldn’t using roster size encourage cuts?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
i agree something needs to change, but wouldn’t using roster size encourage cuts?

Do you really think that schools would cut kids from their team if they know that by doing so would allow them to move down a class, and do it for an extended period of time? Its hard enough to get kids out for football now, I just cannot see a school telling kids, "we are going to have to cut some of you, so we stay in a lower class.

And if they did, would it be any worse than the current system now in use? At least if they tried someone would go to the newspapers and it would blow up in their face.

Football is a numbers game, and you have to reach a given number to even have a chance unless you have exceptional athletes. Something like this would not only help the 8 man schools, but also the large DM schools that are struggling to get kids out for football.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Do you really think that schools would cut kids from their team if they know that by doing so would allow them to move down a class, and do it for an extended period of time? Its hard enough to get kids out for football now, I just cannot see a school telling kids, "we are going to have to cut some of you, so we stay in a lower class.

And if they did, would it be any worse than the current system now in use? At least if they tried someone would go to the newspapers and it would blow up in their face.

Football is a numbers game, and you have to reach a given number to even have a chance unless you have exceptional athletes. Something like this would not only help the 8 man schools, but also the large DM schools that are struggling to get kids out for football.

Put me in the 'YES' column.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
To be fair they did make the playoffs this year.

Yeah I saw that. It's just crazy that before this year they've really sucked for the past decade at least (I think). That school has so much money, resources, and students. There's no good reason they shouldn't be at or near the top of eastern Iowa programs consistently.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Yeah I saw that. It's just crazy that before this year they've really sucked for the past decade at least (I think). That school has so much money, resources, and students. There's no good reason they shouldn't be at or near the top of eastern Iowa programs consistently.

Not disagreeing. I graduated in 2008 and I we were in the height of the boys bball run then and I am pretty sure there were as many out for varsity and jv basketball as there was football.

A couple of years ago they hired Paul James from CR Washington and he has brought in Adrian Arrington as an assistant.

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
Not if OABCIG has anything to say about it! ;)

I have heard that Algona is a pretty physical team all the way around. OABCIG has a pretty unique offense with almost exclusively 5 wide recievers and a quarterback that is probably one of the very elite in the state. Should be a great game.
I made the near 3 hour trek last Friday night to Ida Grove. The OABCIG QB, Cooper Dejean, is by far the best QB I've seen this season. He's 6'2 200 lbs and has passed for nearly 3000 yards, rushed for over 1000 and has accounted for 58 of his team's 63 TDs on the season. Also is the team's punter and starting free safety. To top it off, he's only a Junior. Do you know if it's true he was a 1000 yard receiver last year?