Friday OT - The Big Cheese

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I was listening to R.E.M. the other day where there's basically one person who just sort of makes the band. R.E.M. is an example - the others are all awesome, but Michael Stipe is sort of the person without whom they wouldn't have really happened.

What are some other bands where one person defined them?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Wilco - That's Jeff Tweedy's band all the way.

The National - Hard to imagine any voice other than Matt Berninger singing one of their songs.

Alabama Shakes - Talented musicians, but Brittany Howard's voice drives that whole thing.

I'm trying to think of a non-singer for this but off the top of my head I'm coming up empty. Maybe John Frusciante for RHCP? I mean, they're still big without him but their work with him on guitar is their best.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
First, as sort of a music nerd I kind of disagree with your premise.

But...Jim Morrison...

EDIT: ...and Jagger

• Agree

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
There are a lot of two headed monsters out there. I had several I wanted to say including Jagger, but are the Stones really the Stones without Keith Richards?
Fair point.

But consider the Doors...

Ray Manzarek - classically trained pianist. Does all the various organ, piano, and bass parts (often at the same time). He runs multiple keyboards.

Robby Krieger - classically trained Flamenco guitarist, one of the most underrated guitarists of the 1960's. And wrote half their hits, btw.

John Densmore - accomplished jazz drummer. Technically beyond most of his 1960's peers.

Their sound is totally unique and all anybody remembers is Jim Morrison and his leather pants. And that's the paradox...Jim Morrison and his leather pants are indeed the Doors but not w/o the others.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Fair point.

But consider the Doors...

Ray Manzarek - classically trained pianist. Does all the various organ, piano, and bass parts (often at the same time). He runs multiple keyboards.

Robby Krieger - classically trained Flamenco guitarist, one of the most underrated guitarists of the 1960's. And wrote half their hits, btw.

John Densmore - accomplished jazz drummer. Technically beyond most of his 1960's peers.

Their sound is totally unique and all anybody remembers is Jim Morrison and his leather pants. And that's the paradox...Jim Morrison and his leather pants are indeed the Doors but not w/o the others.

Sure. From the perspective of a music geek I get what you're saying. But most people identify bands with one person in that band. It's not disparaging to other band members to identify one member as the "straw that stirs the drink". I think where it gets a little tricky is when one of the lesser known members is responsible for writing some or most or all of the material, like Robby Krieger.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This is such a good thread because I could say David Byrne too but that is SOOO disrespectful to Talking Heads.

It was really hard to think of many examples! Like, one could argue Pete Townshend from The Who... but can you imagine them succeeding without one of their members? That's why they sorta went in the toilet after Moon died. It was a fun mental exercise!

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Sure. From the perspective of a music geek I get what you're saying. But most people identify bands with one person in that band. It's not disparaging to other band members to identify one member as the "straw that stirs the drink". I think where it gets a little tricky is when one of the lesser known members is responsible for writing some or most or all of the material, like Robby Krieger.

Yeah, this is the perfect way to put it. Cooler mentioned Chris Cornell and he's exactly right but in my head I'm like "Soundgarden doesn't exist as we know it w/o Matt Cameron's drums".

Reactions: Angie and jbindm

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A few off the top of my head:
CCR: John Fogerty
Van Halen: Eddie Van Halen
Guided By Voices: Robert Pollard
Nirvana : Kurt Cobain (each contributor important, but sans KC, it ain't the same thing)

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I was listening to R.E.M. the other day where there's basically one person who just sort of makes the band. R.E.M. is an example - the others are all awesome, but Michael Stipe is sort of the person without whom they wouldn't have really happened.

What are some other bands where one person defined them?

I don’t know, I think with REM it might be because he started over singing everything after their drummer left the band. His irritating voice then started to dominate. They were a more balanced band before that.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Phil Collins of Genesis (in fact, unless you are a huge Genesis fan, you may not know if you are listening to a Phil Collins song or a Genesis song).

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean and Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
An example, somewhat, of The Opposite of the premise, when each member of original unit is indispensable to nearly equal degree: The Who.

Townshend: Songwriting obviously, attitude & theatrics
Daltrey: Some other wailer might have worked, but it's a siganture voice type & quality that's hard to reverse-engineer auditorially.
Moon: Nobody is Keith Moon
Entwistle: Seemingly the "replaceable" member, but it's untrue. Listen closely to the bass the next time you hear some Who songs.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
An example, somewhat, of The Opposite of the premise, when each member of original unit is indispensable to nearly equal degree: The Who.

Townshend: Songwriting obviously, attitude & theatrics
Daltrey: Some other wailer might have worked, but it's a siganture voice type & quality that's hard to reverse-engineer auditorially.
Moon: Nobody is Keith Moon
Entwistle: Seemingly the "replaceable" member, but it's untrue. Listen closely to the bass the next time you hear some Who songs.

I suppose it's an obvious one, but the Beatles. Perfect mix of talent, ego, and beta personalities to make it all go. John and Paul got the headlines even though George was every bit as talented and Ringo takes a lot of flak but he's a very good musician in his own right.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and 1UNI2ISU

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron