New Snowblower Opinions

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I’d just use the blade if you have an acreage. When I was younger, I’d use the loader/backhoe to move snow and that took forever. 3/4 to truck and blade would do that in 1/4 the time. Otherwise get an Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO.
received_428314974726501.jpeg
That a 24" Ariens there.. also that JD 826 (Ariens 826) of yours is a few steps above this, but would still be over matched...
This is more what I dealt with last year..
received_1153037874902080.jpeg
hard to tell but that's over the trucks hood in height.
Buddy of mine built this about 15 years ago
View attachment 68623 View attachment 68623
might need this with a bigger blower??

Last edited:

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
they do just they are only for mounting on a tractor though... but most of the old "JD" blowers were built under contract by other companies (Ariens/MTD) and just painted green.

My JD826 was made in Horicon, WI but I believe later models were made at the Ariens plant further north

FEEqsTZ.jpg

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
My early Christmas present is on the left. Went from 1991 Ariens 524 to 2019 Ariens Deluxe 24. My dependable old friend sold in 2 hours on Facebook. 524 worked great for 90% of the snows over the years, but the other 10% were difficult. Deluxe 24 did Mondays 3" snow is short order. Very happy. IMG_2317s.JPG

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Left out the top rated Ariens blower as it was over $3k. Toro was #1 Best Buy with the 89 score. Toro was #1 overall. Ariens had 3 in the top ten, Toro had 2. Probably would boil down to your favorite color. Both fine machines, I’m sure.

Attachments

• B0866ECB-C214-44E7-AB0B-CA9F1BCFF5DE.jpeg
    B0866ECB-C214-44E7-AB0B-CA9F1BCFF5DE.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 22

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Test fired the old pair of vintage Toros today. The 25 year old two-stage fired right up. The 28-year old single-stage took some crankin' at the start. Probably check the air-vent nut and change the plug this week while the garage is still warm. Also ran the lawn mower dry, think my neighbors were probably starting to get annoyed.... sounded like I'd opened a small engine repair shop. :rolleyes: But, actually not much louder than the motor calliope from half dozen leaf blowers that seemed to be running in the hood this afternoon.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
After copious amounts of research it came down to Toro and Ariens and Toro was the easy choice between the two since there is a dealer locally. Went with the 10 HP with the bells and whistles since I plan on it being having a 20 year life.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Left out the top rated Ariens blower as it was over $3k. Toro was #1 Best Buy with the 89 score. Toro was #1 overall. Ariens had 3 in the top ten, Toro had 2. Probably would boil down to your favorite color. Both fine machines, I’m sure.
I'd be leery of an EFI model. I get the benefits, but there is a battery involved, and it is rather 'new' technology on small engines. It's not the same EFI system as your car.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I just bought an Ariens Classic 24 from a local dealer. He talked me into the Classic over the Compact or deluxe as for around $150-$200 you are adding 0.5 horsepower, a headlight, and bigger tires. Now here is hoping for no slow since a few quid poorer!

Based on my research, Ariens and Toro are the top of the list Cub Cadet are still well-liked, but there are some reservations as they were recently purchased. I am just happy not to have to ram my old single stage into the plow drift at the end of the drive. Anything would have been better than that.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
I just bought an Ariens Classic 24 from a local dealer. He talked me into the Classic over the Compact or deluxe as for around $150-$200 you are adding 0.5 horsepower, a headlight, and bigger tires. Now here is hoping for no slow since a few quid poorer!

Based on my research, Ariens and Toro are the top of the list Cub Cadet are still well-liked, but there are some reservations as they were recently purchased. I am just happy not to have to ram my old single stage into the plow drift at the end of the drive. Anything would have been better than that.

The Deluxe will have a slightly bigger engine, bigger impeller and auger and a cast iron gearbox. Most Ariens blowers are overkill for your typical suburban home/driveway, which is why the Classic sells so well.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just finished mulching the leaves and storing all the summer out items in our out shed. Pulled out the Toro CCR 2500 single stage and the MTD 24" two stage. Mind that I got these last year for nothing. Single stage was empty filled her and she fired up on the second pull. The MTD one has electric start on it, but I wanted to see how it would do on if I pull started it. Turned the fuel shut off to on (sorry JM4CY), she fired on the first pull.

The MTD would alway leak fuel when I got it. $16 carb on Amazon did the trick. Just recently replaced the scraper bar and skid shoes. The Toro just needed the primer bulb.
MTD is 17 years old and the Toro is 22 years.

Last year with the slush we had in Ames, when the neighbors were trying to unplug the chutes on their two stage machines as it plugged them up, the Toro was a beast on the slush. I even helped them out.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Completely agree. Bought a Toro in 1997 and still use it. Best money I ever spent.

The MTD would alway leak fuel when I got it. $16 carb on Amazon did the trick. Just recently replaced the scraper bar and skid shoes. The Toro just needed the primer bulb.
MTD is 17 years old and the Toro is 22 years.

Welcome to the Cyclone Fanatic Vintage Snowblower Club. For you others, your snowchucker needs to be at least 20-years old to claim your exclusive membership. ;)

1991 Toro CCR Powerlite E Model 8175
1994 Toro 524 Model 38052

Claiming my 28 year old model as oldest till someone more worthy posts one more vintage. ;)

I do love me the annual snowtosser thread.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Test fired the old pair of vintage Toros today. The 25 year old two-stage fired right up. The 28-year old single-stage took some crankin' at the start. Probably check the air-vent nut and change the plug this week while the garage is still warm. Also ran the lawn mower dry, think my neighbors were probably starting to get annoyed.... sounded like I'd opened a small engine repair shop. :rolleyes: But, actually not much louder than the motor calliope from half dozen leaf blowers that seemed to be running in the hood this afternoon.
I hope you checked that single-stage's primer bulb very carefully. I fought mine for a couple of years before I realized the bulb was cracked on the bottom out of sight.

So many unnecessary pulls of that damned cord in frigid temps...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
After copious amounts of research it came down to Toro and Ariens and Toro was the easy choice between the two since there is a dealer locally. Went with the 10 HP with the bells and whistles since I plan on it being having a 20 year life.

just an FYI, Pretty much every John Deere dealer I know is an Ariens Dealer. If there is a JD store close, you have an Ariens dealer close.
Also, toro is a very good brand.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I hope you checked that single-stage's primer bulb very carefully. I fought mine for a couple of years before I realized the bulb was cracked on the bottom out of sight.

So many unnecessary pulls of that damned cord in frigid temps...

Pulls? I have an electric start. ;)

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
just an FYI, Pretty much every John Deere dealer I know is an Ariens Dealer. If there is a JD store close, you have an Ariens dealer close.
Also, toro is a very good brand.

I don't recall seeing snowblowers in our JD dealership but I also not paying attention to that stuff when I go in there so could be. Still, the mom and pop shop next door probably appreciates my $1500 more. The JD dealership has gotten significantly more than that this year so they're supported.

Help Support Us

Become a patron