NFL: ***Official Week Eleven Thread***

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Garrett and Rudolph are both VERY lucky that it was the bottom of the helmet that hit Rudolph. If that happened to be the top of the helmet, that could’ve done some serious damage.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Garrett and Rudolph are both VERY lucky that it was the bottom of the helmet that hit Rudolph. If that happened to be the top of the helmet, that could’ve done some serious damage.

Exactly. He's gotta be done for the season.

Anybody remember Marty McSorley (NHL)???

Reactions: SCyclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Wasn’t watching the game but there have to be multiple suspensions with that. Lots of poor decisions.

I think it was #65 for Cleveland who knocked Rudolph down again after he'd gotten away from Garrett. He'll be in a bit of trouble, too.

The Browns are an undisciplined mess. With the NFL and their kangaroo court who knows, but I would think Garrett is looking at a minimum three game suspension. Hell, if it had been a good QB instead of Rudolph he might have already been banished for life.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think it was #65 for Cleveland who knocked Rudolph down again after he'd gotten away from Garrett. He'll be in a bit of trouble, too.

The Browns are an undisciplined mess. With the NFL and their kangaroo court who knows, but I would think Garrett is looking at a minimum three game suspension. Hell, if it had been a good QB instead of Rudolph he might have already been banished for life.
My summary is probably as follows.

Garret: Rest of season
Pouncy: Rest of season
Ogunjobi: 2 games
Rudolph: 1 game

Those all should happen maybe more depending on if other stuff happened that you can’t see. Like you said though who knows what will happen.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

Kitchens got testy after being questioned about bad behavior in training camp. He defended his players' actions, saying he wasn't going to curb their aggression. But if he doesn't denounce what Garrett did last night, he won't be respected by anyone.

I don't think he's long for the NFL anyway, despite winning last night.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Garrett is in deep ****. Probably won't see him playing for a while. If ever.

While the social justice warrior in me agrees with you and I’d like to see him not play in the NFL again, he’ll likely only be suspended the rest of the year and no more than 2 games next year. The bar has already been set on assault suspensions, and as soon as his suspension exceeds 8 games the NFL will have to deal with “so a player assaulting another player is worth X>8 games, but a player assaulting his wife/girlfriend is only worth 8?”

Of course, this is the NFL, so I would also expect them to bungle this discipline issue as well.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Those all should happen maybe more depending on if other stuff happened that you can’t see. Like you said though who knows what will happen.

I think that your summary is probably appropriate punishment, but yeah. It's just impossible to say. Vontaze Burfict was suspended for the season several weeks back for a pretty bad head shot, but he has such a lengthy history of dirty play that it's hard to say if his punishment will inform the league's actions in this case. Garrett has been fined a few times already so maybe that plays into it. All I know is that I have zero faith that the NFL will get it right.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

Why the **** would Rudolph be suspended? His actions were entirely reasonable. Didnt throw any punches or anything that I saw. Fined, maybe, but suspended? That would be too much.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

The only similar behavior I can remember is when Albert Haynesworth stomped on a players head who wasn't wearing a helmet back in 2006. He got 5 games which was "unprecedented" at the time. I hope Garret get's more than just the rest of this season, which is what, 6 games? I'd like to see at least 8 for him.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The only similar behavior I can remember is when Albert Haynesworth stomped on a players head who wasn't wearing a helmet back in 2006. He got 5 games which was "unprecedented" at the time. I hope Garret get's more than just the rest of this season, which is what, 6 games? I'd like to see at least 8 for him.

It's like throwing darts, but if I had to guess I think he'll be suspended for the rest of the regular season. Six games is pretty substantial and it more than likely ends his season because I don't think 9-7 will be enough to grab a wild card in the AFC and at 4-6 I don't see the Browns running the table either, not without their far and away best defensive player. Admittedly their schedule is toilet paper soft (MIA, @ PIT, CIN, @ ARI, BAL, @ CIN), but they're too volatile and undisciplined to win out.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Why the **** would Rudolph be suspended? His actions were entirely reasonable. Didnt throw any punches or anything that I saw. Fined, maybe, but suspended? That would be too much.
Did you watch the whole thing? Rudolph kicks him in the nuts (maybe unintentionally) then after the roughing he tries to rip off Garrets helmet. After his helmet is ripped off he charges Garret. He was just as responsible for escalating the issue as the others. Just because he was ineffective in doing it doesn’t excuse the behavior.

There seems to be this view that just because someone tries to commit a crime and is unsuccessful they don’t deserve punishment for it. That’s just stupid.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

I know it won't happen but I would be 100% okay with Pouncy not getting a huge suspension. 1-2 games but not the rest of the season. The offensive lineman and QB relationship is a weird one and it's great to see him defend Rudolph after an insanely stupid move by Garrett. Also he stopped fighting once he realized what he was doing. Crime of passion!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Did you watch the whole thing? Rudolph kicks him in the nuts (maybe unintentionally) then after the roughing he tries to rip off Garrets helmet. After his helmet is ripped off he charges Garret. He was just as responsible for escalating the issue as the others. Just because he was ineffective in doing it doesn’t excuse the behavior.

There seems to be this view that just because someone tries to commit a crime and is unsuccessful they don’t deserve punishment for it. That’s just stupid.

I think this is the critical part right here, unless it turns out that Rudolph did or said something to provoke Garrett beforehand. If Rudolph gets restrained by a teammate or just walks away then it's over. DeCastro had Garrett held back and several steps away from the scrum at that point. I'm not excusing Garrett for swinging the helmet, but if Rudolph doesn't charge him then we're looking at a suspension for Garrett and that's it. Rudolph had a hand in escalating it.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
For fans of AFC teams in the wild card hunt last night's debacle really couldn't have worked out much better. The Steelers lost to bring them back to the pack and probably lost Rudolph for at least one game and Pouncey for probably multiple games.

The Browns won, but they're still two games under .500 and they could now be without their best defender for the rest of the season. All good news for the Colts, Texans, Raiders, Bills, Titans and Jags.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Rudolph should charge him with assault.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This isn't Garrett's first go around, he's a child that should no longer be in the league but its not like he took a knee or anything so he'll be back in a few weeks, next season at the latest. Essentially a 6 game suspension, what a joke league.