New Snowblower Opinions

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
I can report that after a couple hours of tinkering around and watching countless YouTube videos, I solved my problem. When in doubt, make sure the gas hose valve is turned to the “On” position.

giphy.gif
Ah... the 'ol petcock check. Most overlooked step of "what happened?!" troubleshooting. Once upon a time I was riding an older motorcycle to work and it sputtered and died halfway to work... tried cranking for 15mins before turning the petcock on. You smack yourself in the face, then laugh and move on.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
they do just they are only for mounting on a tractor though... but most of the old "JD" blowers were built under contract by other companies (Ariens/MTD) and just painted green.

I think this happens more than most people are aware of (different products included, not just your example).

• Agree
Reactions: ruflosn

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
So for a decent new snowblower we're looking at around $1k to spend?

Was hoping less...

Keep your eye out on craigslist and facebook marketplace swap. You can find some pretty nice newer used ones for $500 or less, just might take a few weeks for waiting and looking. For instance, there's a nice 528 cub cadet on dsm craigslist for $650 and a whole bunch on marketplace. Of course right now the prices will be the highest due to beginning the season.

Heres one on marketplace right now thats pretty good for the price:
upload_2019-11-14_16-25-48.png

Reactions: BoxsterCy

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
shopping

Honda...Track Drive...please stand back. This thing will throw snow damn near across the interstate. You will be the envy of the 'hood.
I think the Honda ones are probably nice, but I cant justify twice the price of other good ones. The Honda ones are over $2000.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
My Poulan 27" throws like a champ - wet or dry - and walks right up my fairly steep driveway without chains. I run some Sea Foam in it at the end of the winter and it always starts right up. (I've discovered the pull rope works far better than the electric start, surprisingly.)

The only other brand I'd consider is Toro. Although all these glowing recommendations for the Ariens product might give me pause.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Any small engine techs in here? I got my MTD serviced this fall (oil change, couple new belts, etc.) started her up this morning like normal. Let the choke run for a little then turned the choke off and it back fired and shot a flame that about burnt my gloves. Couldn’t get it to fire up again. Wouldn’t even try to turn over. Is this a simple spark plug issue? I think they put a new one in there when they serviced it. Any advice would be great. I don’t really wanna buy a new one and this old girl has 25 ish years on it and some sentimental value but maybe it’s time? TIA

It won't turn over at all? If so, it's not a spark plug.

Saw the follow-up. Nice work there.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
shopping

Honda...Track Drive...please stand back. This thing will throw snow damn near across the interstate. You will be the envy of the 'hood.

Best blower out there but they're so expensive.

Been through that before. Not worth it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have a 15 year old Craftsman and the only thing I've ever done is fill the gas, change the oil/plugs, and replace the wear bars. Three things I've learned over the years.

#1 Replace the steel wear bars with the rubber ones

#2 Lubricate the chain. It didn't cause any damage but I didn't even have a clue that I should be lubricating the chain. I was looking through the owners manual to see what spark plug I needed and noticed it's something you should do every year. Woops.

#3 If you're thinking about getting the bigger/better one, do it. I've never thought to myself "I wish I would have gotten the smaller one".

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Disappointed the MORE POWER (grunt grunt) guys haven't included someone saying "I put a MiG-15 engine on the front of a vintage Army truck and it blows the living bejesus out snow!"

001.jpg

Full Disclosure: I own two vintage Toro's, one 2-stage and one single stage.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Great, informative website by an Iowa native. He’s clearly a Toro/Ariens fan but very impartial. Some great info here and much better than doing a typical google search or reading consumer reports.

https://movingsnow.com/

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
My situation is if my lawn tractor and blower combo doesn't help my situation here this year my only other options are a small hobby tractor with a bucket (could get my great grandfathers 55' cub running, and then find the front bucket that fits) or a 3/4 ton truck with a v blade (what the former neighbor now used).

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
I’d just use the blade if you have an acreage. When I was younger, I’d use the loader/backhoe to move snow and that took forever. 3/4 to truck and blade would do that in 1/4 the time. Otherwise get an Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Help Support Us

Become a patron