NFL: ***Official Week Eleven Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Is this thread supposed to be about game predictions for this week? If so, it only took 22 minutes for this thread to get highjacked.

I do like the conversation about the league though.... the NFL runs roughshod over their players and fans at every turn.

It's mostly just about whatever NFL news is out there; games or otherwise. You're welcome to chime in. I guess it would be easier to just have a running NFL regular season thread but I kind of like doing the weekly one just out of habit. Part of my Thursday routine.

Reactions: Acylum

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE if the NFL got rid of the Thursday games.

The players hate it, the play is inferior due to the lack of rest and prep time. The matchups are usually poor, and I cannot get into watching a football game on a thursday night.

Thanksgiving makes total sense. The rest of the Thursdays.... nope!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

The players hate it, the play is inferior due to the lack of rest and prep time. The matchups are usually poor, and I cannot get into watching a football game on a thursday night.

I hear you. I think we're seeing teams and players at far less than their best on Thursdays. I don't know if there's anything to the idea that players are more prone to injury in those games but I am certain that three days between games is not enough time for them to be sufficiently recovered from a Sunday game. But I've also heard that some players and coaches actually like the Thursday games because if they can get through it then they have what's essentially a second bye week on the other side.

At any rate I don't think the Thursday games are going away. There's too much money in them and I don't think the NFL and players would add a seventeenth regular season game and postseason game just so they could replace the revenue generated from Thursday. They're looking to grow the pie, not just maintain it.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

0% chance the NFL would give up a prime time TV slot on a Thursday night. The viewership and sponsorship are too good.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Anybody have insight on the Browns/Steelers tonight from a betting standpoint? Thursday nights seem tough to bet, but I have heard to take the under, which I think William Hill has at 41.5. Mason Rudolph the dink n dunker, vs turnover prone Cleveland and a Pittsburgh defense that hasn't been bending or breaking a whole lot lately

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
It's all about the benjamins.... ugh. Well, they don't get my viewership in Thursdays.
Some of the Thursday matchups are unwatchable. Simply an inferior product on the field. Oh well....

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Right. I'm not saying it's uncommon, I'm saying it's unfair. I think if the league is going to stick with divisions then the division winner should be a guaranteed a playoff spot but that's it. No reason for a mediocre division winner to have a higher seed than a very good team from another stronger division.
Wasn't it not that long ago the Seahawks had to to travel for a playoff game vs a divisional champion with a losing record? I may not be remembering that correctly.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Wasn't it not that long ago the Seahawks had to to travel for a playoff game vs a divisional champion with a losing record? I may not be remembering that correctly.

Could be. I remember the Saints had to go to Seattle once (the Beastquake run IIRC) when Seattle had a losing record.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The Steelers are running out of bodies at the skill positions. Smith Schuster, Diontae Johnson and James Conner all out.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Heck of a brawl at the end of the game tonight.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

CarterCloneFan

Dec 3, 2018
Serious question: has anything like that ever happened in an NFL game before? That was crazy dirty by Garrett

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Garrett should be suspended the rest of the season. That's straight up assault.

I just thought of Happy Gilmore when this happened;

“During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody.”

• Funny
Reactions: coolerifyoudid