What else is new? (all grass lots surrounding the field are closed Saturday)

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
From email just received about Saturday's game:
    • Due to recent snowfall in the Ames area, the Iowa State Athletics Department has announced that all grass lots surrounding MidAmerican Energy Field at Jack Trice Stadium are closed for Saturday's game vs. Texas.
    • Patrons with G7 parking passes will be re-routed to the paved lots at Vet Med.
    • There will be NO public parking for cars or RVs at Vet Med.
    • General public parking will be available on campus, and we suggest parking at the Memorial Union parking ramp or Gerdin Business Building East Parking Deck. Please be sure to follow posted regulations at all campus parking lots. A campus parking map can be found here.
    • Public parking for RVs will be directed to the Jeff and Deb Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center (2508 Mortensen Rd). The Iowa State Block and Bridle Club will be operating parking in this lot. RV parking will be $40, and car parking will be $20. The lot will be available for RVs from 5:00 p.m.- 10:00 p.m. on Friday and will reopen at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday for all vehicles. All RVs will need to be out of the lot by 10:00 a.m. on Sunday morning. If you have questions about parking in this lot you can contact the Block and Bridle Club at 712-330-2727.
    • Fans are also encouraged to check the Cy-Ride website for other parking and transit options. A map of the CyRide football gameday bus route can be found here.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
$20 tickets with no place at all to park.

44582b8a-2f60-4f1f-be17-2590089cf2f1.jpg

FLASH SALE!
$20 tickets for the Texas game
available for 20 hours

On behalf of the Iowa state Athletics Department, we invite you to come out and watch the Iowa State vs. Texas football game on Sat., Nov. 16 at 2:30 p.m. for only $20! This offer is good for 20 yard line seats for only 20 hours.

Tickets to the game are available through the button below.

• Dislike
Reactions: cyadict

Shouse62

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
We have a small (18 person) party bus coming over for the game. Does that qualify for a standard parking pass in a paved lot or would it have to be an RV pass?

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Now its recent snowfall that is the excuse. What are they saving all this nice grass for? Its grass!
I totally agree, but people will get stuck if there is melting. If people are stuck, others can't get out. If there is an issue getting in or out of the lots, people will get mad and maybe fight. That is the ISU grass lot crowd I know and love. Thus, the grass lots will be closed.

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
so, outside of whats suggested in the first post, where do people normally park when this happens? are there areas that normally still draw groups of tailgaters?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I totally agree, but people will get stuck if there is melting. If people are stuck, others can't get out. If there is an issue getting in or out of the lots, people will get mad and maybe fight. That is the ISU grass lot crowd I know and love. Thus, the grass lots will be closed.

High of 38 in Ames tomorrow and 40 on Saturday. Could get pretty messy pretty quickly. Closing the lots now is probably a good call.

• Agree
Reactions: Blackhawk6515

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Man this has been a rough tailgating season for those of us who usually use the grass lots. Basically got the season opener and the Iowa game and that is about it unless you count the student grass lot being partially open last game. Drove by the grass lots the morning of the last home game and I don't blame them for closing the whole lot because you could see water still standing in some of the low areas. It was wettest October on record for Iowa this year and some of those lots have some pretty low areas in a flood plain. Don't know what they have for tiling in those lots if any at all but wouldn't hurt to look into at least investing in some better drainage for those lots. I don't think gravel or pavement is cost effective for 6-7 days of use out of the year but some field tiling could help them drain and dry out quicker with not a high cost associated with it.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah OSU was the only true nice game. UNI wasn't bad during tailgating from what I remember.

Not sure we've had one single game with nice weather during the week that led to all parking lots being open, and nice weather during the game itself. If it hasn't been one, it's been the other.

It'd be nice if Pollard comped our grass lot passes again for next year since his comping them for this year didn't exactly work out. But I won't hold my breath.

Now, let's fire up that debate about grass vs. turf again. [departs from thread]

Reactions: wxman1

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not sure we've had one single game with nice weather during the week that led to all parking lots being open, and nice weather during the game itself. If it hasn't been one, it's been the other.

It'd be nice if Pollard comped our grass lot passes again for next year since his comping them for this year didn't exactly work out. But I won't hold my breath.

Now, let's fire up that debate about grass vs. turf again. [departs from thread]
Field turf lots? I like it and so will Campbell. Don't get the rubber BBs in your beer.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
We have a small (18 person) party bus coming over for the game. Does that qualify for a standard parking pass in a paved lot or would it have to be an RV pass?
There are several short busses, (think parking shuttle), in the normal lots. Lanning's family has a midsize school bus, bigger than the parking shuttle busses, but not as long as the full-size busses, and they park in C4.

Reactions: Shouse62