Iowa High School Football Playoffs

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
They used to do meets with a 200m track in there. Ran a HS meet there once. Super weird running a full lap in a 200m. Got smoked by Tim Dwight in that race, but to be fair, I think I was a So. and he was like 24 years old.

UNI still has one of the best indoor track surfaces available! They host a few big HS meets in March.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Yikes.

Its time for the Dons to play Class A ball.

Feels like some of these teams are sandbagging playing down in 8 man. I know it's based on enrollment, but I've seen teams have 35-40 kids from Wayne, SE Warren, Colo Nesco, Don Bosco, etc. That's more than enough to play 11 man. Wayne has moved up since then. I don't want two classes of 8 man, but there seems to be too much contrast between teams.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Feels like some of these teams are sandbagging playing down in 8 man. I know it's based on enrollment, but I've seen teams have 35-40 kids from Wayne, SE Warren, Colo Nesco, Don Bosco, etc. That's more than enough to play 11 man. Wayne has moved up since then. I don't want two classes of 8 man, but there seems to be too much contrast between teams.
Don Bosco has been to 6 of the last 8 titles.

They are beating teams by 50+ who have the best teams they will ever have in their respective towns.

Time for a change (not just for DB).

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

My senior year at Linn-Mar I think there were 30 or less guys were on the team. That's what happens when you don't win a game for three years.

CarterCloneFan

Dec 3, 2018
Don Bosco has been to 6 of the last 8 titles.

They are beating teams by 50+ who have the best teams they will ever have in their respective towns.

Time for a change (not just for DB).
Audubon is class 1A in everything else and dropped down to 8 man, I live about 20 miles from there and we’ve always felt they should’ve stayed up. They’re playing in the other semifinal right now. In Indiana, I believe if you win two straight championships you have to move up a class. Idk how I feel about that but something’s gotta be done

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Audubon is class 1A in everything else and dropped down to 8 man, I live about 20 miles from there and we’ve always felt they should’ve stayed up. They’re playing in the other semifinal right now. In Indiana, I believe if you win two straight championships you have to move up a class. Idk how I feel about that but something’s gotta be done
Class 1A is the lowest you can go in every sport other than football, so most (if not all) 8 man teams are 1A in other sports.

Your point still stands!

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA

8-Player has a limit of 125 total student enrollment in 9th, 10th, and 11th grades (it's how classifications are determined). Don Bosco's 9-11 enrollment is 84. There are only 16 schools with a lower enrollment in 8-player. I don't think the problem is that Don Bosco is sandbagging. The problem is they are a small private school located near a larger population base. It provides a large pool of students to draw from, while maintaining a low enrollment. Gives those types of schools an advantage against schools with similar enrollment figures.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
8-Player has a limit of 125 total student enrollment in 9th, 10th, and 11th grades (it's how classifications are determined). Don Bosco's 9-11 enrollment is 84. There are only 16 schools with a lower enrollment in 8-player. I don't think the problem is that Don Bosco is sandbagging. The problem is they are a small private school located near a larger population base. It provides a large pool of students to draw from, while maintaining a low enrollment. Gives those types of schools an advantage against schools with similar enrollment figures.

This is thread is going to get good.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Which is kind of a joke but there’s nothing really you can do about it.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Western Dubuque leads Lewis Central 28-7 at halftime.

WD wins 48-14. They've looked like the best 3A team in eastern Iowa all season. I look for them and Solon to make for a good finals matchup.

I was at the TV Don Bosco game. Turkey moved the ball and controlled the clock the entire 1st quarter but had a TO and turned it over on downs inside the DB 5 on their first 2 possessions. TVs qb got hurt in the 1st quarter. DB was the better team no doubt, but the score was worse than the game.

And yes Don Bosco had more kids on their sideline than a few 3A teams I saw this year. Kudos to them for getting kids out. Six of their players are returning State place winners from their wrestling team.