Signing Day Thread

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If Haliburton stays and nobody else leaves, we're full.

I agree with your general sentiment, though -- even without Haliburton next year, I am not really sure we "need" anything in particular. I suppose it comes down to how the staff feels about only having Jackson, Walker, Bolton, Grill, and Dubar for guards (and/or possibly playing Johnson, Griffin, and Blackwell at the 3-4 spots), but that roster looks pretty full as it is, to me. Going for the best transfer, and particularly maybe a sit-one, play-one guy like Shayok that other teams are less enthused about because his tenure will be so relatively brief, as an investment in the future might make sense.

As we sit today, I agree with your assessment, there won't be many needs on the team. I doubt it will stay the same by April and there will be attrition somewhere on the roster due to player leaving to go pro, more playing time, injury or family reasons. It is just the state of College sports in this day and age.
As for who the target should be position, High School, sit out or grad transfer the staff will decide that on if/who leaves the development of the on roster replacements then. The staff has shown willingness to make hard choices and move on from those players this fall, so I have confidence they'll identify any weakness for next years team and target players from there. Also banking a scholarship and seeing if there is mid year option next year is always an option.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Whar Tejas? Are they too focused on this week's football game to recruit for basketball?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
As we sit today, I agree with your assessment, there won't be many needs on the team. I doubt it will stay the same by April and there will be attrition somewhere on the roster due to player leaving to go pro, more playing time, injury or family reasons. It is just the state of College sports in this day and age.
As for who the target should be position, High School, sit out or grad transfer the staff will decide that on if/who leaves the development of the on roster replacements then. The staff has shown willingness to make hard choices and move on from those players this fall, so I have confidence they'll identify any weakness for next years team and target players from there. Also banking a scholarship and seeing if there is mid year option next year is always an option.

They have not banked one yet, but they came close two summers ago before Nixon showed up and won a spot, so that is possible. This staff is canny about managing the scholarship chart and finding guys, though. I am sure they will play it well.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

I agree with your general sentiment, though -- even without Haliburton next year, I am not really sure we "need" anything in particular. I suppose it comes down to how the staff feels about only having Jackson, Walker, Bolton, Grill, and Dubar for guards (and/or possibly playing Johnson, Griffin, and Blackwell at the 3-4 spots), but that roster looks pretty full as it is, to me. Going for the best transfer, and particularly maybe a sit-one, play-one guy like Shayok that other teams are less enthused about because his tenure will be so relatively brief, as an investment in the future might make sense.

I still think we “need” something in particular... three point SHOOTER! Don’t care what position, what height, whether transfer/juco/etc, or what his hair looks like......a PURE lights out shooter.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Good point. On the other hand, asking a judo or transfer point to sit behind Bolton and Jackson (and Walker) seems equally ineffective, especially considering Grill, Walker and Dubar are also “guards”, and Griffin, Johnson and Blackwell will all be in line for time at the other traditional wing spot.

I’d guess that if a spot opens, Prohm simply goes for “best available versatile player” rather than focusing on a single position.

We had a Karate Transfer a few years ago. You can ask West Virginia. Never a Judo one though. I like your thinking on this.

• Funny
Reactions: jmb

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

I was implying there is an obvious transfer out candidate. No need to say anything further on the matter though.

I agree with what you said on continuing to exploit the sit 1, play 1 market.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Is there a shooter(s) in this class? Not asking about developing or sufficient.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Is there a shooter(s) in this class? Not asking about developing or sufficient.

Jaden Walker. A recent note on his 25 point game:

Jaden Walker, Core4: The Iowa State-bound guard had it dialled in from three and kept his Core4 squad in the match-up against Hargrave Military. Walker finished with 25 points and hit four three-pointers in the loss. Walker’s perimeter game dripped in confidence and he showed some toughness as a rebounder.

Reactions: CTTB78

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
As Caleb Grill continues to progress, I think he'll be that pure lights out shooter.

I still think we “need” something in particular... three point SHOOTER! Don’t care what position, what height, whether transfer/juco/etc, or what his hair looks like......a PURE lights out shooter.

Tre Jackson will be too... Rasir while streaky will have some big 3 point games this year, and a few 0-fers... But if staff doesn't trust the 3 pt shooting they could could look to a shooter. The staff will evaluate through the year and if they see that as the need they will address it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If we have so many 4-star recruits, how can we be 5th in the Big12 in the ratings?
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Cyched

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I hope we speed our game back up and get more breaks going. These dudes look like they can run. I always loved the Stinson and Blalock years. Every time they rebounded the ball dudes just took off running down the court and got easy breaks. I think these guys have the speed to do that.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I hope we speed our game back up and get more breaks going. These dudes look like they can run. I always loved the Stinson and Blalock years. Every time they rebounded the ball dudes just took off running down the court and got easy breaks. I think these guys have the speed to do that.
I think you saw that happening a lot more in the second half of the game on Tuesday night. In the first half, we were taking the ball out of the net a ton and also gave up a lot of offensive rebounds which diminished our fast break abilities as well. I'm in total agreement that I think our best offense will come in the fast break.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Tre Jackson will be too... Rasir while streaky will have some big 3 point games this year, and a few 0-fers... But if staff doesn't trust the 3 pt shooting they could could look to a shooter. The staff will evaluate through the year and if they see that as the need they will address it.

Hope you are right. Was a lot of the 3pt shooting woes Tues. night speaking to be more than just an ‘off night’? Meaning form, mechanics, etc. ?Real basketball gurus please chime in here: Can average shooters be significantly improved or does it have to be a natural talent and/or textbook stroke before getting to college? Of course I KNOW they are practicing the crap out of it. Looking forward to seeing their growth. (Spoiled from watching Sullivan, Tyrus, Thomas, Willoughby, and more of years gone by, I admit.)
Speaking of that...Who was ISU’s all time best pure shooter do you think?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Hope you are right. Was a lot of the 3pt shooting woes Tues. night speaking to be more than just an ‘off night’? Meaning form, mechanics, etc. ?Real basketball gurus please chime in here: Can average shooters be significantly improved or does it have to be a natural talent and/or textbook stroke before getting to college? Of course I KNOW they are practicing the crap out of it. Looking forward to seeing their growth. (Spoiled from watching Sullivan, Tyrus, Thomas, Willoughby, and more of years gone by, I admit.)
Speaking of that...Who was ISU’s all time best pure shooter do you think?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think you saw that happening a lot more in the second half of the game on Tuesday night. In the first half, we were taking the ball out of the net a ton and also gave up a lot of offensive rebounds which diminished our fast break abilities as well. I'm in total agreement that I think our best offense will come in the fast break.
I’d be pleasantly surprised if our tempo was faster than previous seasons.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman