Iowa High School Football Playoffs

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I played and practiced on field turf all though high school. Only played at a few schools with a grass field. There’s a cleat that has better traction on fake grass than on real grass, which is what I used. Cleats for real grass would work on turf, and shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Son played for Ames High this year and played in the dome. Cleats seemed to work better than turf shoes. Saw quite a bit of slipping with turf shoes especially RBs. He told me that the field had quite a bit more rubber pellets than other fields he played on. A couple player even got them in their eyes.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not if OABCIG has anything to say about it! ;)

I have heard that Algona is a pretty physical team all the way around. OABCIG has a pretty unique offense with almost exclusively 5 wide recievers and a quarterback that is probably one of the very elite in the state. Should be a great game.

Algona has some speed, somewhat physical but not overpowering. Can hit the corners well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Unidome is not field turf. It’s a cross between field turf and the old carpet. Only place I’ve seen that stuff.

CarterCloneFan

Dec 3, 2018
On the old turf at the UNI-Dome 12 years ago, we all went and purchased b-ball shoes and wore them for the 2 games at the dome. Then went on to wear them for most of b-ball season as well.
This is exactly what we did when we went in 2013. We learned from when lost in the semis in 2012 and slipped all over the place in cleats and couldn't get any traction on the Astro-carpet. We had never played on artificial surface before because we were an 8 man school.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The two teams I'm following are West Lyon and Remsen St. Mary's. Both still in it and hopefully they can win two more.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Unidome is not field turf. It’s a cross between field turf and the old carpet. Only place I’ve seen that stuff.

It will boil down to Algona being able to slow down their pass attack. They can really sling it around and in the lower classes that is a massive advantage.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I was just going to say that, pulled up the stream and saw the field looks different than in the past. Which is good hopefully.

Pretty sure it was new last year but can't remember for sure. UNI and NDSU were a couple of the last schools to get rid of the astro turf style surface. That stuff is absolutely brutal to play on.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Yep. True field turf with a articial infill instead of rubber pellets so it can still be pulled up. New for the 2018 season.

Same surface that they use at Syracuse, NDSU and South Dakota.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CarterCloneFan

Dec 3, 2018
I was on it this spring. Is it different this year. My son played on it last year and agreed that it is some odd stuff.
There is an outline of the state of Iowa at midfield around the UNI logo and the turf is a different shade of green every 5 yards inside the 30s on both ends.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There is an outline of the state of Iowa at midfield around the UNI logo and the turf is a different shade of green every 5 yards inside the 30s on both ends.

I thing I remember my son saying was you could tell where the seems were. Could trip you up or sometimes there was a slight hump that would catch you off guard.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I thing I remember my son saying was you could tell where the seems were. Could trip you up or sometimes there was a slight hump that would catch you off guard.

Why would they put in a removable surface? Indoor track?

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I went and looked at photo galleries of home games for UNI and it seems like most, of not all, of the athletes for UNI were wearing flat bottomed shoes. Looked as if they were more of a heavier cross trainer type of shoe and not a basketball type of shoe. Seems if you did go with cleats a molded bottom would be the only way cleats would work- studded cleats would be really hard to wear.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

CarterCloneFan

Dec 3, 2018
I went and looked at photo galleries of home games for UNI and it seems like most, of not all, of the athletes for UNI were wearing flat bottomed shoes. Looked as if they were more of a heavier cross trainer type of shoe and not a basketball type of shoe.
Yeah, they're called turf shoes and they look exactly like what you are describing. Some of our guys sprung for those instead of the basketball shoes, both worked well.

CarterCloneFan

Dec 3, 2018
DON BOSCO RECRUITS!!!!!!! (ducks and runs out the door)
That's what we were told when we played them in the championship in 2013. The story was that the kid that was playing QB that year had been recruited by them since he was in like 5th grade or something.