Jay Jordan: At the End if the Day...Oklahoma

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Can we go back and restart the season...

This team is so fun to watch...and absolutely brutal when the critical mistakes manifest. I mean, honestly, is there a Div 1 football team that you think would blow this team out? Yeah, I know, LSU, Alabama, Ohio State...but really?

Looking forward to a repeat of 2015 with Texas...a guy can hope.

Reactions: cyence

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think I realized why I’m not down on this team. It’s been a frustrating year in some ways. But I just feel like it isn’t our only chance.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Great points, JJ, that this is not the "same old, same old" Cyclone football many of us had become accustomed to. We expect more, because, frankly, this team is capable of more.

I have no doubt CMC will continue to raise the bar for his team. He demands nothing less, of them and of himself.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes and JJIII

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Excellent article, Jay. Strongly agree. Heading into the season, I probably would have taken 8-4 and that is still on the table. It feels like things are on the precipice of flipping in a major way for this program.

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
If the Clones run the table against UT, KU and KSU then they would be the #3 team which is penciled in at the Camping World bowl which has had Notre Dame projected as the opponent for the past month. Now THAT would be quite the stage to showcase Matt Campbell's completed culture shift at Iowa State......

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
If the Clones run the table against UT, KU and KSU then they would be the #3 team which is penciled in at the Camping World bowl which has had Notre Dame projected as the opponent for the past month. Now THAT would be quite the stage to showcase Matt Campbell's completed culture shift at Iowa State......
Be ready for ISU to lose on a controversial refs call so Texas can be matched with Notre Dame in the bowl game because that is what the conference wants a battle of blue bloods for big TV ratings. I know I'm paranoid.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Be ready for ISU to lose on a controversial refs call so Texas can be matched with Notre Dame in the bowl game because that is what the conference wants a battle of blue bloods for big TV ratings. I know I'm paranoid.
we dont need to beat Texas for that to happen, they can pick Texas over us if they want regardless of record

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
2 – Turnover opportunities can be schemed and prepared for. Turnovers just happen and are the result of players making or not making plays. Defenders are often defenders because they can’t catch. Coverage personnel with ball skills are often next level players and are highly coveted. Statistical analysts classify turnovers as a product of luck. However, the number of missed opportunities experienced by this ISU team is staggering. Two against Iowa dropped, three against OSU dropped, and four against OU dropped. Those are quantifiable and determinative numbers. Perhaps it is just bad luck. It isn’t bad play. It is high-level play to be in those positions in the first place. Either way, the lack of conversion in the turnover opportunities has become pronounced given the timing and effect in the games thus far. It will not persist and will regress to the mean in the future.

This pretty well says it all. ISU has been incredibly unlucky on fumbles and tipped passes that just always land in the wrong place or bounce out of bounds. That is just bad luck. Those INTs that are right in the hands of players, man, you just can not do that stuff. Got to get that figured out somehow. Those drops clearly cost ISU in 3 of their 4 losses.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I love the fact that we aren't the ISU of old anymore, and it shows in many ways.

I hate the fact that, because of that, we are truly underachieving this season compared to what we know we are capable of. It's hard to reconcile that fact, even in the perspective of what we used to be not long ago.

ISU is good. We could be better. We're actually leaving W's behind while still being a good team.

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy and BoxsterCy

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006

Pretty spot on, Jay. The defensive front hasn't been near as disruptive this season as I expected. I thought they finally did some really good things in that OU game. Forcing the QB to one side of the field, contain and pursue. Split the field in half makes things a lot easier for the rest of the back 7.

The secondary has also been disappointing, although I knew we had a lot to replace in Peavy and Payne. The tackling has been inconsistent. Getting off blocks on those outside screens has been a problem. We have given up more big plays these last few weeks, than it seemed like the prior 2 seasons.

Hopefully the O and D are getting things tightened up and play such good complimentary football, that any Special Teams weaknesses will be nullified. UT will be tough. Make Ehlinger earn everything. Limit any big plays from Duverny and Johnson. Obviously that KSU game will be a dogfight, have to shut down the run and get them into 3rd and long passing downs.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Great points, JJ, that this is not the "same old, same old" Cyclone football many of us had become accustomed to. We expect more, because, frankly, this team is capable of more.

I have no doubt CMC will continue to raise the bar for his team. He demands nothing less, of them and of himself.

It's called HIGHER EXPECTATIONS....and right now cyclonenation's expectations for this football program is ....well....as they say...SkyHigh.......My expectations...not lose to loser programs like Baylor...and esp KState......the fans deserve better....esp since they are filling JTS....

• Useful
Reactions: VeloClone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's called HIGHER EXPECTATIONS....and right now cyclonenation's expectations for this football program is ....well....as they say...SkyHigh.......My expectations...not lose to loser programs like Baylor...and esp KState......the fans deserve better....esp since they are filling JTS....

fans don’t deserve anything.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The angles of pursuit thing has been an issue all season although always seems better in the 2nd half.

I'm a little surprised they can't at least make some better alignment adjustments even at the quarter.

The offense has great yardage stats and all but just doesn't quite get there. I'd rather see a jet type of thing with a receiver than a wide receiver pass when things are rolling.

Also since it seems the offsides issues have happened while there's a lot of motion etc., would it not be more effective to just line up and go get it? I see the defense often times responding to the shifts...is that more unpredictable to just snap the ball?

Help Support Us

Become a patron