Signing Day Thread

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
How long were Dubar and Blackwell on our list? It feels like they were very quick prospect to signing. I know that is probably wrong just don’t remember lots of dialogue about them.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
How long were Dubar and Blackwell on our list? It feels like they were very quick prospect to signing. I know that is probably wrong just don’t remember lots of dialogue about them.
For Dubar, we offered, hosted an official, an accepted his commitment in 21 days.

Blackwell we have been after a long time, offered July 26, 2018. Was the top target that nobody ever seemed to talk about, profile was warm to ISU for a long time.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
For Dubar, we offered, hosted an official, an accepted his commitment in 21 days.

Blackwell we have been after a long time, offered July 26, 2018. Was the top target that nobody ever seemed to talk about, profile was warm to ISU for a long time.
Thank you.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Are all four officially signed? Iowa States twitter announced three. Dubar wasn’t mentioned, but he committed last week and his Twitter showed him signing so I’m assuming he did.. was just interested in Prohms analysts of him like the had on the other three.

i read that Iowa State wouldn’t likely announce his signing until today for some reason. Maybe they need Dubar to make a video before they can put it on Twitter. Lol.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
if Haliburton makes the jump to NBA this spring, wondering if coaching staff is looking at JUCO's/transfer portal for a physical 6'8"+ post guy to compliment Conditt and Foster. Next year we have Solo- but it would be nice to develop some post depth for next 2 years. Would like to see another post enforcer on the roster if Halliburton jumps.
I’m not sure that we need to use a scholly for someone to tell Conditt and Foster how good they are. There are plenty of folks on here who will do that for free. :rolleyes:

*It was there. I had to run with it. :)

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
if Haliburton makes the jump to NBA this spring, wondering if coaching staff is looking at JUCO's/transfer portal for a physical 6'8"+ post guy to compliment Conditt and Foster. Next year we have Solo- but it would be nice to develop some post depth for next 2 years. Would like to see another post enforcer on the roster if Halliburton jumps.
If Haliburton leaves I think they should go after a guard. Adding a juco or transfer for Solo type to sit behind Solo, Foster, Conditt, plus the small ball fours, seems very ineffective.

Sure, if we could land a Royce White type or a Grant-Foster that at 6’8” can play 2-4, but I would think a (point) guard would be the priority.

The game no longer necessitates having a 4 true bigs, certainly not at the level of taking one that’s just a seldom used “post enforcer” depth as a juco transfer.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If Haliburton leaves I think they should go after a guard. Adding a juco or transfer for Solo type to sit behind Solo, Foster, Conditt, plus the small ball fours, seems very ineffective.

Sure, if we could land a Royce White type or a Grant-Foster that at 6’8” can play 2-4, but I would think a (point) guard would be the priority.

The game no longer necessitates having a 4 true bigs, certainly not at the level of taking one that’s just a seldom used “post enforcer” depth as a juco transfer.
Good point. On the other hand, asking a judo or transfer point to sit behind Bolton and Jackson (and Walker) seems equally ineffective, especially considering Grill, Walker and Dubar are also “guards”, and Griffin, Johnson and Blackwell will all be in line for time at the other traditional wing spot.

I’d guess that if a spot opens, Prohm simply goes for “best available versatile player” rather than focusing on a single position.

• Agree
Reactions: Drew0311

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Good point. On the other hand, asking a judo or transfer point to sit behind Bolton and Jackson (and Walker) seems equally ineffective, especially considering Grill, Walker and Dubar are also “guards”, and Griffin, Johnson and Blackwell will all be in line for time at the other traditional wing spot.

It’s doubtful we’d ask or intend for any guard we’d sign that’s eligible for next year to sit behind those guys, nearly all of which are unproven, particularly at pg. It goes without saying we’re not looking for guys that aren’t good enough to play over what we have.

It’s not “best available” it’s “most likely to play”, which is significantly biased towards a lead guard type if Haliburton leaves. It would be an easier sell, and with a larger pool of candidates.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It’s doubtful we’d ask or intend for any guard we’d sign that’s eligible for next year to sit behind those guys, nearly all of which are unproven, particularly at pg. It goes without saying we’re not looking for guys that aren’t good enough to play over what we have.

It’s not “best available” it’s “most likely to play”, which is significantly biased towards a lead guard type if Haliburton leaves. It would be an easier sell, and with a larger pool of candidates.
If we go after a guard for next year if Halliburton would leave for the draft, we'd get a Shayok type grad transfer (I know Shayok was a sit one-play one). A guy that can flat out score and we could run an offense around. Bolton would start, as well as Jackson/Walker, and then that other guard would start as well.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
cropped_hogue-kick.gif

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If Hali stays and they're pleased with what they have in adding Javan Johnson, I think it would be wise to target the best available sit-out transfer.

If Haliburton stays and nobody else leaves, we're full.

I agree with your general sentiment, though -- even without Haliburton next year, I am not really sure we "need" anything in particular. I suppose it comes down to how the staff feels about only having Jackson, Walker, Bolton, Grill, and Dubar for guards (and/or possibly playing Johnson, Griffin, and Blackwell at the 3-4 spots), but that roster looks pretty full as it is, to me. Going for the best transfer, and particularly maybe a sit-one, play-one guy like Shayok that other teams are less enthused about because his tenure will be so relatively brief, as an investment in the future might make sense.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyPunch

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
If Haliburton stays and nobody else leaves, we're full.

I agree with your general sentiment, though -- even without Haliburton next year, I am not really sure we "need" anything in particular. I suppose it comes down to how the staff feels about only having Jackson, Walker, Bolton, Grill, and Dubar for guards (and/or possibly playing Johnson, Griffin, and Blackwell at the 3-4 spots), but that roster looks pretty full as it is, to me. Going for the best transfer, and particularly maybe a sit-one, play-one guy like Shayok that other teams are less enthused about because his tenure will be so relatively brief, as an investment in the future might make sense.

But you know somebody will leave.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch and Acylum

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If we have so many 4-star recruits, how can we be 5th in the Big12 in the ratings?
That's life in the conference that has been tops in KenPom for 6 or 7 years in a row. That's also why you can be 4th or 5th in the conference and still get a 4-6 seed.

This isn't hard to understand for people that aren't idiots with unwavering contempt for ISU or Prohm.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
i read that Iowa State wouldn’t likely announce his signing until today for some reason. Maybe they need Dubar to make a video before they can put it on Twitter. Lol.
I believe it's because he needed a guardian signature as well. Or at least that was what I read the speculation was for it not being sent in yesterday.

Reactions: bozclone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If Hali stays and they're pleased with what they have in adding Javan Johnson, I think it would be wise to target the best available sit-out transfer.
What will be interesting is whether we can get in on a good mid-year, assuming we can use the Leech/Anderson scholarships due to the rule change that Prohm mentioned.

We may not know for sure on Haliburton, but mid-years like Burton could help next year, or redshirt the entire next season if desired

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch