Survivor: Island of the Idols

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Yuck. 2 of the few people I liked went home and sexual harrassment was made a mockery of. Between this and this year's big brother CBS's image doesn't look good.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
And might I add, Aaron did himself no favors being so flippant about it all. His reactions were not good. This tweet is pretty good (except Kellee isn't that smart because she had two idols haha)

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wow that was a lot to process for a 2 hour episode. I'm so flippin worked up over some of the stuff that went down I'm too tired to write about it tonight so will sometime tomorrow. All I have to say is before tonight I was not a fan of Jamal but after what happened he flipped me and I hate he went home. Janet deserved better too. She did the right thing so screw the rest of the women that threw her under the bus and played her and sat there quietly like they never had told her anything. More to come on this tomorrow but tonight's episode surely will be a hot topic on the live finale.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The comments on the Survivor Facebook page are interesting. Several people really upset that the producers didn't step in sooner or handle that episode better with the situation involving Dan and a lot of people really upset at the women who betrayed Janet. Interesting interview with Jeff Probst about last night's episode: https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/13/survivor-jeff-probst-island-of-the-idols-epsiode-kellee-dan/

I don't know who I am really rooting for to win this season anymore after last night other than Janet who I guess at this point is probably now a longshot to win. I was completely disgusted by how the remaining women betrayed Janet after several confided in her about Dan's inappropriate behavior. I think most who watch the show already could tell he was a bit of a creeper and was too touchy feely with the females then when several of them called it out then sat there silent while Janet went to battle for them was appalling. Janet was allies with Dan and didn't want him voted out but after what they shared with her she did the right thing and tried to hold him accountable for it and in the end basically put herself kind of on her own island now for people that support her. I asked my wife while watching this episode if some guy she knew for maybe 3 weeks would just randomly play with her hair while having a conversation or put his hands anywhere on her basically while just randomly being next to her what would she do and her response was "beside probably slap or punch him when he did?" Missy was talking about how during the merge feast Dan was playing with her feet which I actually thought I saw him either touching or playing with someone's leg in those scenes before she said that. I think there was just an episode a week or 2 ago where they had a quick scene where they showed Dan was spooning Missy at night and getting a little touchy and the next morning Missy said something to someone about how she didn't like that.

Then at tribal I couldn't believe it when Aaron had the nerve to basically say something along the lines of false accusations is why it's so hard to believe people when it involves sexual harassment. He wasn't even in on the conversations and maybe wasn't even aware of what was going on so he was in no place to be saying that. I think it was maybe Elizabeth who backpaddled what she said then tried to defend Dan saying she never felt uncomfortable around him. At one point when all the discussion was going on with some defending Dan and Dan himself trying to downplay that he was unaware what he was doing I said to my wife "you know who this sounds a lot like, Harvey Weinstein!" Dan is in the entertainment business and is a talent evaluator so if he was doing anything inappropriate with clients they probably never spoke up just like Weinstein's victims didn't because it's such a cutthroat industry that speaking up could blacklist you from working. I've read stories about some of Weinstein's victims saying when they brought up his behavior others just told them "oh that's just Harvey being Harvey" and I kind of felt like how some talked about and defended Dan there was a similar theme there.

Anyways enough about that, it's going to be THE hot topic at the live finale for sure and it's kind of made the rest of this season awkward now as 2 of the better players just got voted off and after what happened last night there are not a lot of likable players left. I'm not even much of a fan of Elaine now as she kind of stayed on the sidelines with that situation too. Heck all of the sudden Noura doesn't seem like such a bad person to root for either. All I know is if Missy, Elizabeth, Lauren, or Aaron win after pulling that stunt last night there are going to be a lot of upset fans of the show. I don't see any of the remaining males playing a solid game right now either, Dean has no alliances Tommy is just all over the place with his strategy and Dan is still a creeper. I still can't believe Kellee went home with 2 idols in her pocket last night. If anything you could have taken away from how the Dan situation went down you shouldn't have trusted those women when they told you that you were safe. Even if you played the idol wrong you still had another for safety in your pocket.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Harvard education and you go home with 2 idols. YOU HAD 2 IDOLS Kelly, PLAY ONE OF THEM!

She was overthinking it and probably thinking how great it would be to get through this one with 2 idols. You can't afford to risk it though. 4 idols have went home without being used this year.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Dude, Dan is creepy AF with the younger girls. He acts dumb like he didn't know what he was doing but Kellee told him she didn't like him touching her and he continued to do it. I don't know who is worse, Missy or Elizabeth but both of them are horrible.

Love how Jamal handled it. There are going to be a few people that are the most hated in Survivor history and it has nothing to do with game play.

• Agree

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The comments on the Survivor Facebook page are interesting. Several people really upset that the producers didn't step in sooner or handle that episode better with the situation involving Dan and a lot of people really upset at the women who betrayed Janet. Interesting interview with Jeff Probst about last night's episode: https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/13/survivor-jeff-probst-island-of-the-idols-epsiode-kellee-dan/

I don't know who I am really rooting for to win this season anymore after last night other than Janet who I guess at this point is probably now a longshot to win. I was completely disgusted by how the remaining women betrayed Janet after several confided in her about Dan's inappropriate behavior. I think most who watch the show already could tell he was a bit of a creeper and was too touchy feely with the females then when several of them called it out then sat there silent while Janet went to battle for them was appalling. Janet was allies with Dan and didn't want him voted out but after what they shared with her she did the right thing and tried to hold him accountable for it and in the end basically put herself kind of on her own island now for people that support her. I asked my wife while watching this episode if some guy she knew for maybe 3 weeks would just randomly play with her hair while having a conversation or put his hands anywhere on her basically while just randomly being next to her what would she do and her response was "beside probably slap or punch him when he did?" Missy was talking about how during the merge feast Dan was playing with her feet which I actually thought I saw him either touching or playing with someone's leg in those scenes before she said that. I think there was just an episode a week or 2 ago where they had a quick scene where they showed Dan was spooning Missy at night and getting a little touchy and the next morning Missy said something to someone about how she didn't like that.

Then at tribal I couldn't believe it when Aaron had the nerve to basically say something along the lines of false accusations is why it's so hard to believe people when it involves sexual harassment. He wasn't even in on the conversations and maybe wasn't even aware of what was going on so he was in no place to be saying that. I think it was maybe Elizabeth who backpaddled what she said then tried to defend Dan saying she never felt uncomfortable around him. At one point when all the discussion was going on with some defending Dan and Dan himself trying to downplay that he was unaware what he was doing I said to my wife "you know who this sounds a lot like, Harvey Weinstein!" Dan is in the entertainment business and is a talent evaluator so if he was doing anything inappropriate with clients they probably never spoke up just like Weinstein's victims didn't because it's such a cutthroat industry that speaking up could blacklist you from working. I've read stories about some of Weinstein's victims saying when they brought up his behavior others just told them "oh that's just Harvey being Harvey" and I kind of felt like how some talked about and defended Dan there was a similar theme there.

Anyways enough about that, it's going to be THE hot topic at the live finale for sure and it's kind of made the rest of this season awkward now as 2 of the better players just got voted off and after what happened last night there are not a lot of likable players left. I'm not even much of a fan of Elaine now as she kind of stayed on the sidelines with that situation too. Heck all of the sudden Noura doesn't seem like such a bad person to root for either. All I know is if Missy, Elizabeth, Lauren, or Aaron win after pulling that stunt last night there are going to be a lot of upset fans of the show. I don't see any of the remaining males playing a solid game right now either, Dean has no alliances Tommy is just all over the place with his strategy and Dan is still a creeper. I still can't believe Kellee went home with 2 idols in her pocket last night. If anything you could have taken away from how the Dan situation went down you shouldn't have trusted those women when they told you that you were safe. Even if you played the idol wrong you still had another for safety in your pocket.

I was really surprised Dean abandoned Kellee. I thought she was his best chance of getting far in this game by sticking together and no one knowing. That was a weird decision on his part.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I don't really don't care who wins this season, Janet isn't going to win and the rest of them range from trash to useless.

The million dollar strategy to win but have everyone in America hate you is to make sure Dan and Elizabeth are sitting with you in the final 3.

I'll probably finish watching this season but this is the first time I've ever considered bailing on a survivor season.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
The finale/reunion show is gonna be very interesting. Especially if one of these people under scrutiny ends up winning (Dan, Liz, Aaron, Missy).

• Agree

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I was really surprised Dean abandoned Kellee. I thought she was his best chance of getting far in this game by sticking together and no one knowing. That was a weird decision on his part.

I was a bit too but then again I'm not. He has no alliance and no strategy right now. His social game is practically non-existent and he was called out on that recently in a tribal too. Can you really name anyone he's consistently talked strategy with? I can't, he basically is voting for anyone that keeps him from going home which is not much of a strategy if you want to win the game.

Reactions: Halincandenza

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The finale/reunion show is gonna be very interesting. Especially if one of these people under scrutiny ends up winning (Dan, Liz, Aaron, Missy).

Sure will be! The producers are probably glad season 40 with the All Winners season is up next that will keep the ratings strong after this blows over but it was a big hit to the show's reputation last night for sure based off the reactions. It's the first time I can remember watching the show where after I turned it off I wondered how they are going to move on after what went down because now you have several people on the cast that just got outed for putting gameplay over moral decency and who exactly are fans of the show going to rally behind the rest of the season other than Janet at this point?

I really hope Janet wins now after what happened but I doubt she will be around much longer now that she basically has been betrayed and alienated by everyone for doing the morally right thing. And to top that Jamal was very well spoken and handled what was unfolding very well too and they still sent him packing after all that. Like I said, I was not a big fan of Jamal before last night, I thought he was playing the cocky and overconfident game and a guy that at times talked down to people but these past couple episodes when he's been involved with issues of race and the inappropriate touching situation last night he's handled both with class and dignity. Had he not been voted out he probably would have moved right up there with Janet of the remaining players I could be OK with winning. Noura probably has moved up there for me now too, she really wasn't involved with that mess from what the edits showed. She has had her annoying moments early on but lately she's been much more tolerable.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Can we please get back to just the game of survivor. This seasons social commentary and all of that is terrible. Having two black people safe is not a major accomplishment.

ready for this season to be over. Last weeks episode was the worst since what’s his name tried to call out Zeke for being trans.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Tonight was as good as last week was bad. Two very deserving exits tonight. :)

Watched it last night on DVR and figured as soon as the first names that came up about voting out was Karishma and Janet neither were going home as rarely if you follow the edits over the season does the 1 name that comes up actually wind up being the vote at tribal. Agreed they made the 2 most strategic votes last night that got 2 big physical threats of out of the game who also had some character flaws. Missy especially can be pretty rough on people, funny how the same person she has treated like crap all this time in Karishma she thought she could patch things up with and manipulate in an afternoon just to get her vote. Actually impressed with Karishma standing up to her bully and getting the last laugh in the end with that. And now that she has an idol she has the chance to start building a case if she can make it to the end. The delayed exit by Missy was a bit over the top, she was way too plugged into the game and probably will have a hard time initially when she is one the jury until it hits her that its not about her anymore. I can totally see her making it about her in the reunion show too about how she deserved to go farther than she did.

Back to Karishma, I've said it here many times if you can't spend 39 days with the most annoying person you know for a chance to win a million dollars you aren't playing the game right. You want someone like her next to you at final tribal because no one will vote for them yet every season you see people get too emotional with their votes and vote out people they could probably beat in the end. Maybe Karishma makes it further now than anticipated but I would not count on it. I think Dean and Elizabeth are as good as gone now too with no alliance let. I still am amazed Dean is around, can you name 1 person he's been working with all this time because I can't. Then again maybe that is why he is still there because he's in the same boat as Karishma that you need to be on the right side of the vote else you could be going home next.

I too am a bit tired of the "controversial social topics" becoming a bigger thing with the show lately. It's part of life, people are going to slip up and say or say something stupid once in awhile and it doesn't need to be dramatized as much as it has been this season. Especially last night with Missy and bringing up the race card. That caught Jeff off-guard and I guess I am of the mindset too if you view everyone as equals it shouldn't matter what color of skin, age, sex, etc of who won immunity. This is the 39th season so already been a lot of that played out without it ever being made a point that it has to be recognized every time some kind of scenario plays out. Bottom line those 2 were the best at the challenge that day so why does it matter what the color of their skin is? They've had people of color win many challenges before they ever set foot on the show that didn't need recognition during tribal about it.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Watched it last night on DVR and figured as soon as the first names that came up about voting out was Karishma and Janet neither were going home as rarely if you follow the edits over the season does the 1 name that comes up actually wind up being the vote at tribal. Agreed they made the 2 most strategic votes last night that got 2 big physical threats of out of the game who also had some character flaws. Missy especially can be pretty rough on people, funny how the same person she has treated like crap all this time in Karishma she thought she could patch things up with and manipulate in an afternoon just to get her vote. Actually impressed with Karishma standing up to her bully and getting the last laugh in the end with that. And now that she has an idol she has the chance to start building a case if she can make it to the end. The delayed exit by Missy was a bit over the top, she was way too plugged into the game and probably will have a hard time initially when she is one the jury until it hits her that its not about her anymore. I can totally see her making it about her in the reunion show too about how she deserved to go farther than she did.

Back to Karishma, I've said it here many times if you can't spend 39 days with the most annoying person you know for a chance to win a million dollars you aren't playing the game right. You want someone like her next to you at final tribal because no one will vote for them yet every season you see people get too emotional with their votes and vote out people they could probably beat in the end. Maybe Karishma makes it further now than anticipated but I would not count on it. I think Dean and Elizabeth are as good as gone now too with no alliance let. I still am amazed Dean is around, can you name 1 person he's been working with all this time because I can't. Then again maybe that is why he is still there because he's in the same boat as Karishma that you need to be on the right side of the vote else you could be going home next.

I too am a bit tired of the "controversial social topics" becoming a bigger thing with the show lately. It's part of life, people are going to slip up and say or say something stupid once in awhile and it doesn't need to be dramatized as much as it has been this season. Especially last night with Missy and bringing up the race card. That caught Jeff off-guard and I guess I am of the mindset too if you view everyone as equals it shouldn't matter what color of skin, age, sex, etc of who won immunity. This is the 39th season so already been a lot of that played out without it ever being made a point that it has to be recognized every time some kind of scenario plays out. Bottom line those 2 were the best at the challenge that day so why does it matter what the color of their skin is? They've had people of color win many challenges before they ever set foot on the show that didn't need recognition during tribal about it.

My daughter and I started season one the other night on hulu. The game was so good. Nobody even knows what an alliance is and we are on episode 5. No immunity idols. It's really fun to watch. The challenges are really cool. Not one puzzle has been solved yet. I wish they would rewatch season one and start thinking about new challenges that are like the old ones.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
My daughter and I started season one the other night on hulu. The game was so good. Nobody even knows what an alliance is and we are on episode 5. No immunity idols. It's really fun to watch. The challenges are really cool. Not one puzzle has been solved yet. I wish they would rewatch season one and start thinking about new challenges that are like the old ones.

Yeah they are way more pampered today than they were when the show started too. Remember people having to boil their own water to drink and sometimes kill rodents for food and speaking of food we rarely see the eating challenges anymore where they had to eat bugs and other gross things for immunity. The actual "survival" part of the show seems pretty watered down now as they usually get all sorts of items right off the bat now to build shelters or make camp life so they really aren't roughing it as much as they originally did early on in the show. I remember season 11 in Guatemala (which was the first season with a hidden immunity idol ironically) on day 1 they had to trek overnight 11 miles through the jungle to their campsite near Mayan ruins which I remember really took a toll on them physically from the start.

I will say the idols and advantages they almost had to add to the show at some point to keep it fresh but at times it does get a little ridiculous how easily some of them are found and how many of them are in the game. I do like the strategy it adds to the game sometimes though but it would be nice if they'd go back to some of the "old school" seasons and incorporate some of those challenges and scenarios into a new season. That is what has kept the show fresh all these years is different advantages and situations that the game can't be played the same way every season and have an easy path to victory.

Help Support Us

Become a patron