DMPS, Drake partner to develop new community stadium

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
They would need way more seating if they were doing any sort of playoff football there. Plus you have Drake stadium down the road for bigger football games. My guess is this is more soccer centric, with some smaller football games played there.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Lincoln has Hutchens.......East has Williams......North had Grubb......Hoover has Mcgrane. Only Roosevelt doesn't have it's own stadium. Why the H is the DMPS.....who always say they are broke....spend that kind of money to benefit one school? Unless of course they plan on playing football and soccer year around? Maybe a year around practice facility for city public school kids so they don't continue getting their butts kicked by those evil private schools?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Lincoln has Hutchens.......East has Williams......North had Grubb......Hoover has Mcgrane. Only Roosevelt doesn't have it's own stadium. Why the H is the DMPS.....who always say they are broke....spend that kind of money to benefit one school? Unless of course they plan on playing football and soccer year around? Maybe a year around practice facility for city public school kids so they don't continue getting their butts kicked by those evil private schools?

That depends on what their plan is with this stadium. Are they planning on moving all DMPS games there? If so they no longer would have to maintain multiple stadiums and could instead spend their money on just one nicer stadium. That may be a money-saver in the long run.

Reactions: wxman1

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
That depends on what their plan is with this stadium. Are they planning on moving all DMPS games there? If so they no longer would have to maintain multiple stadiums and could instead spend their money on just one nicer stadium. That may be a money-saver in the long run.
Des Moines East High, Williams Stadium was just recently renovated and also had artificial turf installed. It seats over 10,000 and I don't think that the DM school district is going to get rid of it.

However, Williams Stadium is a very successful cooperative arrangement with Grand View University that also uses it as it's home field. Maybe the DSM school district is going to replicate that arrangement with a shared stadium between Drake and Roosevelt.

DesMoines East; Williams Stadium.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cytasticlone

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Roosevelt, North, Hoover and Lincoln would all play games at this stadium. All schools with modest attendance to begin with.
This really benefits Drake soccer and does help Drake stadium for major track events now as they have a larger outdoor area for warming up that they can use.

Lastly, a major benefit of the project is a parking level across the street from the project where current parking already exists.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Roosevelt, North, Hoover and Lincoln would all play games at this stadium. All schools with modest attendance to begin with.
This really benefits Drake soccer and does help Drake stadium for major track events now as they have a larger outdoor area for warming up that they can use.

Lastly, a major benefit of the project is a parking level across the street from the project where current parking already exists.

If 4 schools are going to share the facility, that means a lot of Thursday night games.

I thought it was interesting that DMPS seemed to be footing 75% of the bill based on the article. I wonder if that leaves Drake in a position to fund raise for replacement/remodel of the existing football/track stadium.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Just like Cedar Rapids, Sioux City, and Davenport.

I was going to say that is common in CR with Jeff, Wash and Kennedy all sharing Kingston. One plays at home on Thursday, one at home on Friday and one on the road Friday.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013

Murph and Andy on 1460 KXNO had DMPS and Drake on the radio yesterday. Find the podcast it will answer many of your questions.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If 4 schools are going to share the facility, that means a lot of Thursday night games.

I thought it was interesting that DMPS seemed to be footing 75% of the bill based on the article. I wonder if that leaves Drake in a position to fund raise for replacement/remodel of the existing football/track stadium.

I might have missed it, but will this be natural grass surface or artificial field turf? Having it host college soccer games plus Thursday and Friday night games seems like an awful lot of wear and tear for a natural playing surface.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I might have missed it, but will this be natural grass surface or artificial field turf? Having it host college soccer games plus Thursday and Friday night games seems like an awful lot of wear and tear for a natural playing surface.

Would have to be turf if they’re talking of adding a bubble, right?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Just like Cedar Rapids, Sioux City, and Davenport.

I was going to say that is common in CR with Jeff, Wash and Kennedy all sharing Kingston. One plays at home on Thursday, one at home on Friday and one on the road Friday.

Le Mars and Le Mars Gehelen used to do this too. I think they even played on Saturday's sometimes.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

No city school is going to throw down a grass surface at this point.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Le Mars and Le Mars Gehelen used to do this too. I think they even played on Saturday's sometimes.

Makes sense. So what would happen to the stadiums where North, Lincoln, and Hoover currently play? Knock 'em down or convert them for other uses?

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Makes sense. So what would happen to the stadiums where North, Lincoln, and Hoover currently play? Knock 'em down or convert them for other uses?
They will still be used for practice and Jr High events. I assume the JV/Freshman games will still be at the old stadiums, but they haven't said that.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They will still be used for practice and Jr High events. I assume the JV/Freshman games will still be at the old stadiums, but they haven't said that.

Huh. If they're going to continue to use the old stadiums then aren't they going to have to continue to spend to maintain them?

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Huh. If they're going to continue to use the old stadiums then aren't they going to have to continue to spend to maintain them?
I've wondered that too. Maybe there are some jr high facility that will get shut down. Maybe the maintenance requirements are less when not hosting varsity games.