GameDay Questions

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Hey everyone,

This is my first Iowa State football game as an alumni, used to just walk to the games while I was in college. The public parking at VetMed opens up 5 hours before kickoff, is that still the case? So 9:30 this Saturday for $20?

Not sure how much has changed in a few years, but I'm taking my girlfriend (Texas fan... yuck), so was wondering if anything new or exciting has opened up in Ames that is a must go. (We'll be flying into Des Moines on Friday and renting a car, so proximity to Ames isn't an issue)

Thanks all

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Hey everyone,

This is my first Iowa State football game as an alumni, used to just walk to the games while I was in college. The public parking at VetMed opens up 5 hours before kickoff, is that still the case? So 9:30 this Saturday for $20?

Not sure how much has changed in a few years, but I'm taking my girlfriend (Texas fan... yuck), so was wondering if anything new or exciting has opened up in Ames that is a must go. (We'll be flying into Des Moines on Friday and renting a car, so proximity to Ames isn't an issue)

Thanks all
Welcome back!

You are correct about the VetMed price if it will be open for public parking. It is likely that G7 donor parking may be moved there for the Texas game.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Welcome back!

You are correct about the VetMed price if it will be open for public parking. It is likely that G7 donor parking may be moved there for the Texas game.

Ahh has it been rainy/muddy up there lately?
Does that mean they'll move public parking elsewhere or would I be kinda outta luck?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Don't assume there will be any public parking offered by the university around the stadium or in grass lots. Buy a parking pass, park in the neighborhoods, or take Uber in.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
There has been no official word about any changes to normal gameday parking at this time. Things could change though. I would anticipate if things stay cold, Sub-freezing temps, all the lots would be open due to the ground is pretty hard. Here is a link to ISU's game day info.

https://cyclones.com/sports/2015/3/2/GEN_2014010120.aspx?path=general

Temps for Saturday are forcasted to be around 40.

Sounds good! Thanks for the info. I'm guessing they'd release any new info regarding parking on the Football or Cyclone Athletics Twitter page?

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Last edited:

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Ah so those lots on the campus parking map are free to use? First come, first serve? Cuz I think I remember as a student, parking at Howe Hall was free on weekends. Might just do that, give the girlfriend a tour of the campus in the morning, then walk on to the tailgate lots and the game.
I parked at the Gerdin parking garage for homecoming couple weeks ago. Free on the weekends and isn’t a horrible walk to the stadium area.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Ahh has it been rainy/muddy up there lately?
Does that mean they'll move public parking elsewhere or would I be kinda outta luck?
You can also park in any of the lots on campus for free EXCEPT the student parking lots at the dorms. Or you can pay by the hour at the MU ramp. It's a little bit of a walk, but you're young.
Be careful in the neighborhoods - they are clamping down on people not parking according to the rules, and fines are jacked up on game days. Also be wary of anyone who tells you to park at the old K-Mart parking lot. They are towing. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Darius Bieber

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Ah so those lots on the campus parking map are free to use? First come, first serve? Cuz I think I remember as a student, parking at Howe Hall was free on weekends. Might just do that, give the girlfriend a tour of the campus in the morning, then walk on to the tailgate lots and the game.
If you're cool with walking I'd just park on campus. Free, and if you play your cards right after the game you can get out pretty quick

4 cyclones

Jul 25, 2016
Go to Cornbred BBQ in old down town..... you will not be disappointed....tell owner lot D2 sent you

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Sounds good! Thanks for the info. I'm guessing they'd release any new info regarding parking on the Football or Cyclone Athletics Twitter page?

Yes, They would also post on the Cyclones.com website. As of Thursday afternoon, still no closing of lots.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
My gameday email arrived about an hour ago, there will be no public parking at Vet Med (which is the new norm). Complete info:

PARKING LOTS
Donor parking lots open at 7 a.m. on Saturday. For donor information, click here.

Due to recent snowfall in the Ames area, the Iowa State Athletics Department is announcing that all grass lots surrounding MidAmerican Energy Field at Jack Trice Stadium are closed for Saturday's game vs. Texas. Kickoff is at 2:30 p.m. CT.
Parking Information:
  • Patrons with G7 parking passes will be re-routed to the paved lots at Vet Med. Parking Map
  • There will be NO public parking for cars or RVs at Vet Med.
  • General public parking will be available on campus, and we suggest parking at the Memorial Union parking ramp or Gerdin Business Building East Parking Deck. Please be sure to follow posted regulations at all campus parking lots. A campus parking map can be found here.
  • Public parking for RVs will be directed to the Jeff and Deb Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center (2508 Mortensen Rd). The Iowa State Block and Bridle Club will be operating parking in this lot. RV parking will be $40, and car parking will be $20. The lot will be available for RVs from 5:00 p.m.- 10:00 p.m. on Friday and will reopen at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday for all vehicles. All RVs will need to be out of the lot by 10:00 a.m. on Sunday morning. If you have questions about parking in this lot you can contact the Block and Bridle Club at 712-330-2727.
Fans are also encouraged to check the Cy-Ride website for other parking and transit options. A map of the CyRide football gameday bus route can be found here.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Yes, They would also post on the Cyclones.com website. As of Thursday afternoon, still no closing of lots.

I just got the notice that is also posted in this thread. Grass lots will be closed Saturday. plan accordingly.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
If you need tickets. Check out this offer.

FLASH SALE!

$20 tickets for the Texas game
available for 20 hours

On behalf of the Iowa state Athletics Department, we invite you to come out and watch the Iowa State vs. Texas football game on Sat., Nov. 16 at 2:30 p.m. for only $20! This offer is good for 20 yard line seats for only 20 hours.

Tickets to the game are available through the button below.

Buy Tickets