All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What was everyone's thoughts about going for two last week? I can see it both ways and think it is a coin flip decision. ISU had all the momentum and I feel OT was the best choice at that point. But you were also huge underedogs on the road so I can see why you would go for two.
I think in that particular situation. You go for the win right then and there. Don't let OU have a chance to win in OT. It's what KU did @ Texas a few weeks back and it worked out, although they let Texas drive down the field and kick a game winning field goal.

It's similar to when you're down two on the road in basketball and the away team has the ball to take the final shot. Do you go for the win or go for the tie? A lot of teams, especially the underdogs, go for the win. I liked the call and hope if we have a similar scenario, we do it again.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
What was everyone's thoughts about going for two last week? I can see it both ways and think it is a coin flip decision. ISU had all the momentum and I feel OT was the best choice at that point. But you were also huge underedogs on the road so I can see why you would go for two.

I liked the call to go for two. I'll bet Sooner nation was shitting their pants for a solid minute there.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I liked the call to go for two. I'll bet Sooner nation was shitting their pants for a solid minute there.

But then rejoicing that they just won the game instead of having to sweat it out on OT. I feel ISU would have won in OT, but that can be a crapshoot too.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I think in that particular situation. You go for the win right then and there. Don't let OU have a chance to win in OT. It's what KU did @ Texas a few weeks back and it worked out, although they let Texas drive down the field and kick a game winning field goal.

It's similar to when you're down two on the road in basketball and the away team has the ball to take the final shot. Do you go for the win or go for the tie? A lot of teams, especially the underdogs, go for the win. I liked the call and hope if we have a similar scenario, we do it again.

Kind of how I feel too. Underdog on the road go for two. If you are the favorite you play for OT there.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
ISU's kickers had a lot of influence on the 2pt. Say you go to OT, get stuffed on a run, miss a pass, get a holding penalty, etc, our kickers are looking at a difficult FG for them.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I agree with the decision without a doubt. Go for the win on the road.

ISU’s kicking game isn’t exactly a sure thing and stopping the #1 offense in the country from the 25 yard line seems difficult.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Kind of how I feel too. Underdog on the road go for two. If you are the favorite you play for OT there.
Totally agree. If we were on the road against say, West Virginia, I would've rather us play for OT. But against a team like OU I think the right call is to take a shot for the win.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
But then rejoicing that they just won the game instead of having to sweat it out on OT. I feel ISU would have won in OT, but that can be a crapshoot too.
It's one of those calls that if it goes right, everyone is saying Coach Campbell is a genius and if it doesn't go right (which it didn't) some people say it was the right call and some say it wasn't.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
It's one of those calls that if it goes right, everyone is saying Coach Campbell is a genius and if it doesn't go right (which it didn't) some people say it was the right call and some say it wasn't.
I agree. I personally wouldn't ever have an issue with the coach going for the win there.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015

I think this is almost always the rule of thumb to use.

I also think that momentum from the 4th quarter is overrated/overvalued by those that feel it carries into the overtime periods. You start back at 0-0 on the road in a hostile environment. The situation is not unlike a timeout being used in basketball to kill a big run (momentum).

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I think this is almost always the rule of thumb to use.

I also think that momentum from the 4th quarter is overrated/overvalued by those that feel it carries into the overtime periods. You start back at 0-0 on the road in a hostile environment. The situation is not unlike a timeout being used in basketball to kill a big run (momentum).
I never understood Farley's reasoning for NOT going for 2 in the 2nd OT of the UNI game. Huge mistake on his part I thought.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
It went just fine from the perspective of the play materializing.