Post Touches

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
There was definitely a half time adjustment last night to feed the post (Good work CSP), but I think we need to make this a bigger part of the offense going forward. To me it felt like every post touch we had either led to points in the paint by Solo or Jacobson, or kick outs which led to open looks or drives.

Most of Bolton's points came off a player trying to close out on him. If we get double teams in the post these rotations lead to a lot of close outs that players can take advantage of. I just don't see a lot of production from our high ball screens/weaves.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
There was definitely a half time adjustment last night to feed the post (Good work CSP), but I think we need to make this a bigger part of the offense going forward. To me it felt like every post touch we had either led to points in the paint by Solo or Jacobson, or kick outs which led to open looks or drives.

Most of Bolton's points came off a player trying to close out on him. If we get double teams in the post these rotations lead to a lot of close outs that players can take advantage of. I just don't see a lot of production from our high ball screens/weaves.
I agree. I think it may just be part of the growth of a bunch of newbies learning how this offense works -- it seems to just take some time. The guards are not in synch w/ it right now, even Tyrese. That should gradually improve, as it has in prior years. Hard to be patient watching it, though...

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Agreed, if we're going to play two back-to-the-basket players then those guys have to have some offense run through them...

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Yeah this worked against Northern Illinois. However, we can't do it against good teams unless we start making more 3's. I think this is the worst shooting team I have ever seen at Iowa State. They can't make baskets right now. I would say I hope they improve but it's almost impossible not to improve on the first two games. Hopefully it's just them getting used to the new line.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think there's some validity. I'd say the second half it was largely simply not making shots. Most of the first half, and not just threes, it was a bunch of out of rhythm shots. The ball was moving, but there was no productivity to it. Just swinging it around the perimeter without stressing the defense much, then somebody would finally jack up a three.

While it's also true that there's no way this team is going to shoot this bad again, it's also fair to say that any team that can put up 4% from three on that many attempts prior to Grill's last couple isn't a good three point shooting, and that's not changing in-season. Might they have their games where they hit a good percentage, sure, but they aren't going to hit threes consistently throughout the season. They just aren't. That's not who this team is, and that's OK as long as they adjust how they play. ISU has guys that are capable three point shooters, but there's a huge difference between capable and guys you can count on to shoot the three consistently. If they put up 25 plus threes every game they aren't going to win a lot of games.

Bolton can get to the lane and finish, draw fouls and knock down FTs. Haliburton is deadly in the two man game with Conditt and to a lesser extent Young and Jake. Nixon just needs to keep being a dog on defense and making life miserable for the opponents best perimeter player. Maybe Grill and Jackson can be those guys to provide some consistent shooting. Grill is athletic but still has a big adjustment on defense. Jackson has been really good on defense on the ball.

The pieces for a good team are there, but with some of the most common lineup configurations, the three just can't be the emphasis of the offense.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Yeah this worked against Northern Illinois. However, we can't do it against good teams unless we start making more 3's. I think this is the worst shooting team I have ever seen at Iowa State. They can't make baskets right now. I would say I hope they improve but it's almost impossible not to improve on the first two games. Hopefully it's just them getting used to the new line.
Some of it was likely the 3 point line moving. But, NI also was pushing their defenders WAY OUT on the 3 point shooters, making them very uncomfortable. When we adjusted to take advantage of the huge penetration lanes and get the ball inside, the game was effectively over. Much room for growth here...

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
While it's also true that there's no way this team is going to shoot this bad again, it's also fair to say that any team that can put up 4% from three on that many attempts prior to Grill's last couple isn't a good three point shooting, and that's not changing in-season. Might they have their games where they hit a good percentage, sure, but they aren't going to hit threes consistently throughout the season. They just aren't. That's not who this team is, and that's OK as long as they adjust how they play. ISU has guys that are capable three point shooters, but there's a huge difference between capable and guys you can count on to shoot the three consistently. If they put up 25 plus threes every game they aren't going to win a lot of games.
Agree (although the last time we shot this poorly was with a team that finished 2nd in the conference in 3P shooting)

• Optimistic
Reactions: moores2

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Solo was great last night when he was on the left side of the hoop but questionable on the right. I wonder what it would look like if we charted his shot.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Prohm has said a couple times that this team has some shooters and will eventually be making shots. So far for the season it has been really ugly, but the man know basketball, and despite what some of you think, he is a very good coach. I am going to wait for a little bit bigger sample size before I am ready to accept sub 15% from 3 as a norm for this team.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Prohm has said a couple times that this team has some shooters and will eventually be making shots. So far for the season it has been really ugly, but the man know basketball, and despite what some of you think, he is a very good coach. I am going to wait for a little bit bigger sample size before I am ready to accept sub 15% from 3 as a norm for this team.
Prohm has alluded to shooting being a weakness of this team. Being a good coach won’t make these many of these guys good shooters this year.

No one has suggested sub 15% will be the norm.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Condit really adds a different dimension when he's in the game. He had an awesome jump hook in the first half and his blocking ability really changes the way the other team comes inside. But, he needs to control his emotions, his first two dunks were followed by a T and a dumb foul. We need him on the floor not sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

CarterCloneFan

Dec 3, 2018
Getting it into the post leads to easier shots almost all of the time, allows post to make a move and get a bucket or get fouled, or kick it out for a three. Even if we don’t make a lot of threes, this makes the defense move to cover the open shooter, allowing the offense to gain the upper hand and get the defense off balance. I’ve been frustrated the past few years watching this team and seeing the guy in the post get position and have their defender set up perfectly, only to have the wing swing the ball back to the top of the key. Give these guys post touches and good things will happen!

• Agree
Reactions: moores2

Help Support Us

Become a patron