RECRUITING: Caleb Grill commits

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Good point that giving Jacobson paint touches and forcing the double -- Mike is not Niang when it comes to beating just about anybody one-on-one on the block, but he has a nice set of post moves and is crafty under the basket following his own shot. After the double comes, as you said, we were much better moving the ball and forcing the defense to scramble to react and find their man again. That can provide open shots from outside, but it also can provide quality driving lanes to the hoop, where you either score or end up drawing a foul (or in the case of Bolton a few times last night, both of those).

Bolton reminds me of a "reverse" Wigginton. Wigginton was an overrated driver and finisher but an underrated shooter. He was just as good as Naz/Matt. Bolton, I think, is the opposite. He is not as good of a shooter as Wigginton, but he is already proving a little better in going to the hoop looking to finish, draw contact, or finish through contact/the foul.

Basic math says 3 > 2 when it comes to offense, yes, but we are just lacking the shooters right now to want to bombs away from outside like we have traditionally have. Focusing the offense on attacking and scoring near the hoop in the chaos that provokes might be our best bet until the balls are a little mistier to start shooting from outside.
Completely agree. I also think Bolton did a terrific job last night as to not try to force his shot when the ball was kicked back out to him. He'd use a pump fake or just straight drive right to the basket. I believe he had 4 and-ones that might've all happened on a kick out or a swing pass. I stated this in one of my posts before but I really like Grill off the bench and think he can provide a nice spark. So far he's shown the ability to knock down that needed outside shot.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I disagree, I think he'll be fine. On the one where he got twisted and then I honestly thought he finished with a block but got a foul called on him, he just got his footwork messed up a bit. I think he's fine I think it's a fundamentals issue. He definitely looks better than Thomas did as a freshman and Thomas made himself into a good defender.
Yes, like many freshmen, he’s a little too accustom to relying on having superior athleticism. He’ll get it calibrated, quickly I’d guess.

With our lack of shooting, I hope we invest as many minutes as we can in him.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Grill was my favorite commit. I think this kid is going to be a stud by the time he is done. Great looking shot and great athlete with the potential to be a great defender.

• Winner
Reactions: flycy and CyPunch

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Fran is a Fan.

@franfraschilla @CycloneMBB fans, I like this Caleb Grill guy. He’s not yet Jake Sullivan or Matt Thomas but I loved his swag & his shooting when I watched practice last month. Dead-eye shooter, it looks like.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It was 100 times better in the second half that the first and I think our defense helped a ton with that. We got some easy run outs which got our tempo up and we started attacking the basket more instead of settling. We also did a nice job of feeding our big men. When they'd shrink down on Mike, Conditt, or Solo, we did a good job of passing it out, swinging it around and attacking the rim.

Give Northern Illinois some credit too. In the first half, they did a really good job of denying the driving lanes while also denying the pass into the post. They did leave some open shooters though, and we just couldn't sink those shots. Much better job attacking in the second half by our guys though, I agree.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Grill was my favorite commit. I think this kid is going to be a stud by the time he is done. Great looking shot and great athlete with the potential to be a great defender.

Didn't texas tech want him too? That says something. They have landed these fantastic freshman phenoms the last couple years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron