CFB Playoff Rankings

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
Would a one loss PAC12 champ pass Alabama, especially if Alabama curb stomps Auburn who beat Oregon. I think we are destined for two SEC teams.

Clive Staples

Nov 10, 2019
Texas
Wish they’d go to 8 so every Power 5 and 1 of the AAC/C-USA could get in. I think the smaller D1 schools deserve deserve a shot too...

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Big 12 is so disrespected nationally. Top to bottom it has to be the best conference. There are no off weeks in the Big 12. Even Kansas and West Virginia are competitive. They should use Sagarin ratings for Playoff and bowl rankings.

Sagarin isn't much different from CFP as far as Big 12 rankings:

OU - 10 CFP; 9 Sagarin
Baylor - 13 CFP; 14 Sagarin
Texas - 19 CFP; 21 Sagarin
Okie St. - 22 CFP; 20 Sagarin
KSU - 24 CFP; 23 Sagarin

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Big 12 is so disrespected nationally. Top to bottom it has to be the best conference. There are no off weeks in the Big 12. Even Kansas and West Virginia are competitive. They should use Sagarin ratings for Playoff and bowl rankings.

Yeah but who's an elite team in the B12?

I'm still not convinced that Baylor's very good and OU to me isn't that great.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
****ing hilarious to see an undefeated Baylor team not only not in top 10 but they moved down a spot. Karma is SOB! :D

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
This is gonna be the year to expand the playoff. Very likely we end up with...

13-0 LSU
13-0 OSU
13-0 Clemson
12-1 Oregon
12-1 OU
11-1 Alabama

And potentially 12-1 Minnesota

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
This is gonna be the year to expand the playoff. Very likely we end up with...

13-0 LSU
13-0 OSU
13-0 Clemson
12-1 Oregon
12-1 OU
11-1 Alabama

And potentially 12-1 Minnesota

Naw, the committee has it all taken care of. LSU, Bama, throw Georgia in there, and then flip a coin between Ohio State and Clemson. Done and done. #SECSECSEC #ItJustMeansMore

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The Big 12 is not getting a team into the playoff this year unless one of two things happen. 1. Baylor runs the table, and finishes 13-0, an undefeated conference champ, from a P5 conference will always get in. Look at MSU a few years ago. 2. OU wins out, and both Pac 12 schools end up with 2 loses, Alabama losses to Auburn, an undefeated OSU/Minnesota wins the Big 10.

A one loss Minnesota team will only have a wins over Penn. State, Wisconsin and Iowa, while OU will have a win over Texas and 2 wins over Baylor, plus be a conference champion.

It could get crazy if LSU wins out, they have games with Ol Miss, aTm and Arkansas, and then lose to Georgia in the SEC championship game. They could be the 2nd SEC school in.

Really not looking good for the Big 12, but we have 4 weeks to figure it out.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: isu81

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Eh, no elite teams in the Big 12. OU is very good, Baylor/ISU I think are both good-to-very-good, on opposite ends of the luck spectrum this year. OSU is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, capable of being very good. KSU appears to at least be good. The top half of our conference stands up well against the top half of every other conference. But the best teams in our conference probably wouldn't win any other conference.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy and Acylum

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
A one loss Minnesota team will only have a wins over Penn. State, Wisconsin and Iowa, while OU will have a win over Texas and 2 wins over Baylor, plus be a conference champion.

It could get crazy if LSU wins out, they have games with Ol Miss, aTm and Arkansas, and then lose to Georgia in the SEC championship game. They could be the 2nd SEC school in.

Really not looking good for the Big 12, but we have 4 weeks to figure it out.

Those resumes seem pretty equal to me, if not a slight lean towards Minney.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Here's CBS "CFP overreaction" for this week (overrated/underrated assessments)

An excerpt:
No. 10 Oklahoma -- Underrated

Why does the committee hate Oklahoma so much? I can understand having the Sooners ranked behind both Penn State and Minnesota. Penn State has better wins, and Minnesota's win over Penn State is better than Oklahoma's best win as well. Also, Oklahoma's loss to No. 24 Kansas State is "worse" than Penn State's loss. But why are Utah and Oregon ahead of the Sooners?

Oklahoma's best win is a 34-27 win over No. 19 Texas on a neutral field. Utah's best win is either a 33-28 win at 6-4 Washington or a 21-3 win over 5-4 Arizona State at home. Oregon's best win is either a 35-31 win at that same Washington team or its 56-24 win at 6-4 USC. So, judging by the committee's rankings, Oklahoma has the best win.

Now let's compare their losses. Oklahoma lost 48-41 on the road to No. 24 Kansas State. Oregon lost to No. 12 Auburn 27-21 at a neutral site. Utah lost to an unranked USC that Oregon beat by 32 points. So, Oklahoma has the best win of the three, and Oregon has the best loss. So, fine, if you want to rank Oregon ahead of Oklahoma, there's a strong argument for it. But what's the argument for Utah ahead of Oklahoma? The Sooners have the best win between the two, while Utah has the worst loss.

--> analysis also calls Georgia overrated and makes a case of worst-loss vs. more quality wins compared to Alabama.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Those resumes seem pretty equal to me, if not a slight lean towards Minney.

Maybe, put we have plenty of time to see. The Big 10 is going to get one team in, not sure how they get a second team in, if that team is Minnesota. The Pac 12 will be setting there with a one loss champion, the big 12 would have OU or Baylor there as a conference champion. If Ohio St. wins the conference, I just can not see the selection committee taking a one loss Minnesota team over the champ of either the Pac 12, Big 12 or even Alabama if any have just one loss on the year.

I suppose if OU loses to Baylor Saturday, and then Baylor turns around in the championship game and defeats OU, maybe. OU would have two losses, but Baylor would only have one, and be a conference champ.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Maybe, put we have plenty of time to see. The Big 10 is going to get one team in, not sure how they get a second team in, if that team is Minnesota. The Pac 12 will be setting there with a one loss champion, the big 12 would have OU or Baylor there as a conference champion. If Ohio St. wins the conference, I just can not see the selection committee taking a one loss Minnesota team over the champ of either the Pac 12, Big 12 or even Alabama if any have just one loss on the year.

I suppose if OU loses to Baylor Saturday, and then Baylor turns around in the championship game and defeats OU, maybe. OU would have two losses, but Baylor would only have one, and be a conference champ.

No way the B1G gets two teams in. SEC is the only conference with the chance of doing that. Clemson is in if they win out.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

B1G will only get one team in, and it's going to be OSU or nobody.

If the Big 12 gets someone in and it's Baylor I'm going to be really grossed out. I don't care if it helps ISU (assuming they make a bowl) in pecking order.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
B1G will only get one team in, and it's going to be OSU or nobody.

If the Big 12 gets someone in and it's Baylor I'm going to be really grossed out. I don't care if it helps ISU (assuming they make a bowl) in pecking order.

If Minney wins out and beats OSU in the title game, they're in.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If Minney wins out and beats OSU in the title game, they're in.

Yeah but that scenario would have to happen and I don't think it will.

Doesn't Iowa have that one late season game every year where the come out of nowhere to beat a high-ranked team?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron