Sued For Telling a Kid to Slide

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Plaintiff attorneys should pay all of the defense's expenses and damages for dragging this poor coach, school district and insurance company through this. Amazed two jurors were bamboozled enough to not initially find in favor of the defense. Never should have even come close to making it to court. Kid got hurt in a sport he choose to play in a very normal play, but it must be someone else's fault and someone has to pay. Sorry, it was no one's fault, certainly not this poor coaches. Just because something bad happens to you doesn't make someone else responsible. Very crappy move on the part of this kids family and their slimy attorneys trying to make a name for themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
No not an assault. Not specific enough, nor coupled with the apparent ability to execute the threat.

It is a bit over-broad, as not all lawyers are ambulance chasers or otherwise scuzzy plaintiff's attorneys.

Mostly it seems like protected speech. I think we will need to determine an alternative basis of recovery against Pride.

OK, rephrasing...

Let's say Elon Musk puts Michael Avenatti instead of a crash test dummy in the Tesla he shot into space.

Credible now?

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
This is simply the liability insurance company trying to pass off the cost of the kid's medical treatment to his health insurance company (and ultimately the taxpayers most likely).

Remember that the business plan of insurance companies is basically you pay us and we'll never do anything for you.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Plaintiff attorneys should pay all of the defense's expenses and damages for dragging this poor coach, school district and insurance company through this. Amazed two jurors were bamboozled enough to not initially find in favor of the defense. Never should have even come close to making it to court. Kid got hurt in a sport he choose to play in a very normal play, but it must be someone else's fault and someone has to pay. Sorry, it was no one's fault, certainly not this poor coaches. Just because something bad happens to you doesn't make someone else responsible. Very crappy move on the part of this kids family and their slimy attorneys trying to make a name for themselves.

It's funny, because that was the part of the article that I found most cringe-inducing:

“You have people just taking the extra $8,000 who don’t know what the hell they’re doing,” Rob Mesar says. “Somebody’s got to be responsible. Nobody is!”

No, man. Sometimes bad things just happen. You're not looking for somebody to be responsible, you're just looking for somebody to blame and to write you a check. Big difference.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

But the other team was so bad that this kid shouldn't have been told to slide since they were already winning 6-0.

The above was probably the most idiotic thing in an article full of idiotic things.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
But the other team was so bad that this kid shouldn't have been told to slide since they were already winning 6-0.

The above was probably the most idiotic thing in an article full of idiotic things.
Especially in high school baseball I wouldn’t call 6-0 a very large lead.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
A really good player would know how to slide correctly.

Injuries happen in sports whether one plays well or not.

Injuries happen in sports no matter what a coach does.

Thus, the jury made the right choice. (Thankfully)

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I understand what you are saying but if they are throwing out blatant falsehoods in court they should still be liable.

For example: so and so cheated on his wife therefore he must have killed her, but there is no shred of evidence he even considered cheating on his wife.

You would have to be able to prove that some type of damages occurred.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I hate reading stuff like this. Yes, it sucks for the kid, but the lawsuit was nonsense.

Unless I missed the part where the coach pounded on his ankle with a hammer post-slide. If I did, my apologies.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Let them all colonize the moon or Mars. Just never let them come back.

I really hope he counter sued and got money for all his legal fees and the time / worry spent over being sued.

The 3rd base coach in the story didn't have any legal fees, it was the insurance company that decided to fight it.

Still, I imagine this was life-ruining in the sheer amount of time and emotional baggage this caused. I would say a counter suit to recover the monetary value of lost time would be more than appropriate, but he also prob. just wants to get on with his life.

And, thank goodness the court found him not liable. Otherwise every single action in sports would be a possible liability. Football coach calls a play where a kid gets hurt? Then he's sued because "well, it was a blowout, never should have run that play." A basketball official doesn't call a 5th foul on a kid, and one play later he injures someone. "Well, if you had called the foul, he wouldn't still be in the game to injure my son!"

You would have no coaches and no officials left.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
It's time to put lawyers on a rocket and send them to outer space

The-justice-system-works-swiftly-in-the-future-now-that-theyve-abolished-all-lawyers.jpg

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Just thinking back to 2 a day practices, tackling drills, and track workouts that left us lying on the grass gasping for breath....I could have tried to make a fortune!!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Just thinking back to 2 a day practices, tackling drills, and track workouts that left us lying on the grass gasping for breath....I could have tried to make a fortune!!

You know, I still think I have breathing issues from an elbow to the face taken during a charge-taking drill in high school. Wonder what the statute of limitations is on a civil negligence suit....

• Funny
Reactions: mj4cy

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018

The state has eliminated two-a-day practices now so we dont have to worry about this any more.