ISU at Drake

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Hard to beat a team who is 15/34 from 3. Dont know if I liked the sagging junk defense, left Drake too open. Not the 1st time we see bad 3 point shooters do well against ISU. Overall team looked a lot better so I think we will be okay.
Bad 3 pt shooters at Drake? They have always shot the 3 ball well at Drake under Jennie. And there is a reason they're open alot. Their ball movement and spacing to get their shooters open is consistently amongst the best in WBB and other WBB and MBB HCs should steal what they can from Jennie's offense.

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Bad 3 pt shooters at Drake? They have always shot the 3 ball well at Drake under Jennie. And there is a reason they're open alot. Their ball movement and spacing to get their shooters open is consistently amongst the best in WBB and other WBB and MBB should steal what they can from Jennie's offense.

Rose, Monahan and Burich shot less than .300 last year, and ISU was sagging off them. BF has always been a stats guy and sagged his defenses off the poorer outside shooters. Those three accounted for half of Drakes 3s.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
But we do. Intrastate competition, home cooking, good coaching and some decent players leads to equitable outcomes. No reason we should ever lose to Drake though, not ever.

Our biggest problem is that Drake has a woman coach who can FLAT OUR RECRUIT.....

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
hint...our staff can obviously recruit too. As I’ve reviewed the game it really was about Scott's limited playing time and the three point shooting differential. In this case ISU was a different team with Scott in and Drake hit more threes that accounted for the scoring difference. Get Scott healthy and develop strong overall perimeter defense and we will be pretty tough.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Rose, Monahan and Burich shot less than .300 last year, and ISU was sagging off them. BF has always been a stats guy and sagged his defenses off the poorer outside shooters. Those three accounted for half of Drakes 3s.
Thanks for the clarification. I was unable to watch the game.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Drake has become a very nice program these last 3 or 4 years under Jennie B, while a victory would have been nice this wasn't the end of the world losing to them.

We really needed one additional player to step up yesterday and that would have been the difference. The question is, who is it going to be? I keep waiting for AD to get going offensively (been pulling for her since she stepped on campus) but her shooting has just been off in these early games. Could one of the red shirt freshman be the answer (Kane/Fred)?
No idea but we need another scorer to step up.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
For those bemoaning a loss to Drake on the road you might need to adjust your mid-major thinking some. This isn't football. The best of the mid-majors are as good as the middle of the pack P5 teams. Drake was right around a 20 RPI last year. They are likely good enough for a NCAA at large invite even w/o winning their conference. With their level of coaching right now it's more like a conference game. Makes for a better NC slate having Drake and Iowa each year. Sucks to lose the game but this pales in comparison to losing at home in the NCAA to another mid-major last March that Drake beat for the MVC title.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
For those bemoaning a loss to Drake on the road you might need to adjust your mid-major thinking some. This isn't football. The best of the mid-majors are as good as the middle of the pack P5 teams. Drake was right around a 20 RPI last year. They are likely good enough for a NCAA at large invite even w/o winning their conference. With their level of coaching right now it's more like a conference game. Makes for a better NC slate having Drake and Iowa each year. Sucks to lose the game but this pales in comparison to losing at home in the NCAA to another mid-major last March that Drake beat for the MVC title.
Yes but...I'd bet not a single player on Drake's roster received an offer from a major school like ISU. So, we had a talent/speed/quickness advantage at every position. There was no reason for them to have open shots for 3's - since we should be playing right up in their face, as they don't have the quickness to drive around us.
Again - there is not a single player on Drake whom Fennelly would offer a schollie to. Drake should not be beating us.
But yes - this pales to the loss in the NCAA's to Missouri State at Hilton last spring.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yes but...I'd bet not a single player on Drake's roster received an offer from a major school like ISU. So, we had a talent/speed/quickness advantage at every position. There was no reason for them to have open shots for 3's - since we should be playing right up in their face, as they don't have the quickness to drive around us.
Again - there is not a single player on Drake whom Fennelly would offer a schollie to. Drake should not be beating us.
But yes - this pales to the loss in the NCAA's to Missouri State at Hilton last spring.

Drake kept up with us just fine other than against Jade (She's really quick). The freshman from SEP bounced up good after getting welcomed to college BB when she drove inside in the 1st (?) qtr. Nice job of her hitting the free throws after hitting the deck hard.

Drake really got confident shooting the 3 and ours just never fell. I didn't think we took many bad shots but they just didn't fall Sun.

IMO after the top 5 or so teams in WBB the talent level pretty much evens out for about the the next 30 then it comes down to execution on the given day. That's the end of it for me on this subject (at least for now;)) We can just agree to disagree on this subject.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

Missouri State was peaking and had a great coach, who btw beat Notre Dame last night.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Missouri State was peaking and had a great coach, who btw beat Notre Dame last night.

Still, though, at home and setup to go the Sweet Sixteen with the Big 12 POY. :(

It's the game the entire season was played to get to. Ranks to me as one of the most disappointing losses we have had. My top three total bummers are Mizzu State, Green Bay 2012 (at Hilton again) and Stanford 2009 (not the loss, the way it happened). I think Jayne Appel just scored again. ;)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Still, though, at home and setup to go the Sweet Sixteen with the Big 12 POY. :(

It's the game the entire season was played to get to. Ranks to me as one of the most disappointing losses we have had. My top three total bummers are Mizzu State, Green Bay 2012 (at Hilton again) and Stanford 2009 (not the loss, the way it happened). I think Jayne Appel just scored again. ;)

Okay, to balance that out I need to share a most memorable good moment. At Williams Arena when the Gopher cheerleaders started the "M - I - N -N -E- S - O - T - A , Minnesota! Minnesota! Minnesota! "cheer and a few hundred Cyclone fans drowned them out and they didn't finish it. Got halfway through and stood their with their pom poms on their hips.

Reactions: gizzsdad and NWICY

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
My top three total bummers are Mizzu State, Green Bay 2012 (at Hilton again) and Stanford 2009 (not the loss, the way it happened). I think Jayne Appel just scored again. ;)

Nothing will ever beat Penn St 2000 for me. Especially since it was immediately after watching the infamous ISU-Michigan State MBB game at the pregame pep rally with several hundred of my closest friends. Both MBB and WBB had Final-Four-quality teams.

BYU 2002 is also up there.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Nothing will ever beat Penn St 2000 for me. Especially since it was immediately after watching the infamous ISU-Michigan State MBB game at the pregame pep rally with several hundred of my closest friends. Both MBB and WBB had Final-Four-quality teams.

BYU 2002 is also up there.
Thanks for reminding me of that day.

• Funny
  • Dislike
Reactions: UNI1ISU2 and NWICY

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

I don't know if advance stats gets into this, but it seems to me that it also matters how a shooter gets to their FG%. If you are a 25% 3pt shooter, it could be that you just shoot pretty much 25% every night. Or, it could be that you shoot 20% for 3 games, and get hot and shoot 40% in the fourth game, i.e. a streaky shooter. If a shooter has potential and hits a couple early on, it might be a good idea to stop sagging off, as it be one of those "on" nights...

• Agree
Reactions: geewago