STAFF PICKS: Fran McCaffery

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Did he have any P5 offers besides Iowa coming out of HS?
According to 247 he had a P6 offer from DePaul

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Bohannon-28352/high-school-46940/

40391022-a48a3202-5ddc-11e8-9c53-25a25916472b.gif

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think Wieskamp just couldn't bring himself to make the decision that Xavier Foster did. Wieskamp was a lifelong Hok fan and he was going there come hell or high water. Foster was a lifelong Hok fan but he was mature enough to understand that Iowa State or just about anywhere else would be a better choice for his career than Fran and Iowa. It's a matter of head vs. heart.

Imagine how bad they would be without Wieskamp.

If it was just Garza and the McCaffery boys.

That is where they would be if they did have that lifelong Hawkeye fan fall into their lap.

Yikes.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I really think this board needs to only say positive things about Fran. We need to make sure he retires at Iowa.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
As someone who grew up in the 80s and 90s, it blows my mind a little that there's an entire generation of Iowa fans who have no experience with or memory of their program being a consistent winner.
I think Wieskamp just couldn't bring himself to make the decision that Xavier Foster did. Wieskamp was a lifelong Hok fan and he was going there come hell or high water. Foster was a lifelong Hok fan but he was mature enough to understand that Iowa State or just about anywhere else would be a better choice for his career than Fran and Iowa. It's a matter of head vs. heart.

Night and day scenarios IMO. Wieskamp never even considered another school, he was committed to Iowa before the ink on the offer letter even dried... I'm sure the kid loves playing for the team he grew up idolizing but you can't convince me he doesn't have some buyers remorse.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Absolutely. I find it amusing for how much grief Randy gets (rightfully so), Hawkeye fans completely turn a blind eye on admitting how bad Chad is and that he is a complete fan boy which blinds him of objectivity.

It seems like the Register made an editorial decision at some point that its sportswriters needed to sound less like objective journalists and more like writers from sites like Cyclone Fanatic or Hawkeye Nation. But even by that standard, Chad is a full-on propagandist.

And that's true of most media that covers Iowa. They aren't all as dogmatic but they're all just Iowa fans masquerading as journalists. I saw a ton of sports programming directors for radio stations I'd never heard of coming out of the woodwork to taunt ISU in the wake of the Iowa game and the band situation that followed.

Is it any wonder why Iowa thinks it can get away without announcing contract extensions for Barta and Fran when there's nobody to hold them to account for it?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Staff picks: Which DII school does Connor finish his playing days at after Dad gets canned for starting him?

D2?

I've seen 2nd string class 1A mid-1990s guards with better basketball skills.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Any program could get lucky in a transition, but Iowa could do worse than Fran. It’s a tough job.

Lickliter was a National COY that found Iowa so tough he went D3.

Alford only had three 20-win seasons in 8 years, but given it was at Iowa it was enough to get him a promotion and continue up the career ladder, ending up at a blue blood.
They could also end up with a Long Beach State Lute Olsen type of guy or a New Orleans Tim Floyd kind of guy...I vote Barta stays the course and lives with McCaffery for years to come. It doesn't matter what their fans think...the donors love Barta and Barta loves Fran and Kirk...

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Night and day scenarios IMO. Wieskamp never even considered another school, he was committed to Iowa before the ink on the offer letter even dried... I'm sure the kid loves playing for the team he grew up idolizing but you can't convince me he doesn't have some buyers remorse.

Gissel, Woodbury, Uthoff (transfer), Jok, Pesml, McC boys and Wieskamp may have given Fran a false since of entitle ment that EIU would just get the best player in Iowa every year to supplement his mid major roster (w/Cook). It did for his fans.

That has changed last year with Carton and this year with Foster...

Fran's recruiting is in a world of hurt by not making in roads with suitable replacements pivots in the case they didn't just come to IC regardless of coaching. Oh well.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
The Lickliter thing will never not be funny. Ten years later, and it's still offered as an excuse by some. For crying out loud, Tokyo recovers faster from Godzilla attacks.

But this was no Measly Godzilla attack it was King ******* Kong for ***** sake!!!!! Dolph is still shitting himself.

• Funny
Reactions: GTO