STAFF PICKS: Fran McCaffery

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Reminds me of all the years pathetic Cubs fans blamed losing on playing day games.

CHA isn't any further from the center of campus than Hilton. It might be more central.

I went to wrestling camp at Iowa as a 9 year old kid and walked to Carver from the dorms like it was no big deal.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "central". That campus is all spread out like a picnic blanket. I don't know what you'd call the "heart" of UI's campus.

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006
Any program could get lucky in a transition, but Iowa could do worse than Fran. It’s a tough job.

Lickliter was a National COY that found Iowa so tough he went D3.

Alford only had three 20-win seasons in 8 years, but given it was at Iowa it was enough to get him a promotion and continue up the career ladder, ending up at a blue blood.

New Mexico was "up the career ladder"? Well, it is the University of Iowa, so I suppose you're right...

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
It’s crazy how DePaul went from being picked preseason last in their conference to Natty Championship contenders overnight.

To be fair the Iowa fans really don't follow college basketball so seeing that talent discrepancy easily lead them to thinking DePaul is the class of the Big East. The still WANT to believe their team is NCAA worthy.

Wait till they see Texas Tech and Cuse... then their realize it isn't as much DePaul as all other P6 programs talent compared to their Hoks skill level.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Wieskamp pretty obviously made a bad career decision. Unless he hates the idea of being paid to play basketball some day, I mean Iowa is a fine school otherwise if you don't want that option. Who knows what offers he'd have if he hadn't been all in on Mad Fran.

I think Wieskamp just couldn't bring himself to make the decision that Xavier Foster did. Wieskamp was a lifelong Hok fan and he was going there come hell or high water. Foster was a lifelong Hok fan but he was mature enough to understand that Iowa State or just about anywhere else would be a better choice for his career than Fran and Iowa. It's a matter of head vs. heart.