New Snowblower Opinions

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Any small engine techs in here? I got my MTD serviced this fall (oil change, couple new belts, etc.) started her up this morning like normal. Let the choke run for a little then turned the choke off and it back fired and shot a flame that about burnt my gloves. Couldn’t get it to fire up again. Wouldn’t even try to turn over. Is this a simple spark plug issue? I think they put a new one in there when they serviced it. Any advice would be great. I don’t really wanna buy a new one and this old girl has 25 ish years on it and some sentimental value but maybe it’s time? TIA

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN
Any small engine techs in here? I got my MTD serviced this fall (oil change, couple new belts, etc.) started her up this morning like normal. Let the choke run for a little then turned the choke off and it back fired and shot a flame that about burnt my gloves. Couldn’t get it to fire up again. Wouldn’t even try to turn over. Is this a simple spark plug issue? I think they put a new one in there when they serviced it. Any advice would be great. I don’t really wanna buy a new one and this old girl has 25 ish years on it and some sentimental value but maybe it’s time? TIA

My snowblower was acting up last year and it turned out to be a bad ignition coil. Would run fine for a few minutes then stall and not start. Unfortunately it's not an easy repair. :(

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
My most reliable snow blower,
been used for decades.
240_F_16019374_fSWD0v6rtFHF5FDf3uIGKAR8KQ5GqFHL.jpg
tenor.gif
Back included.

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
Spitballing... carb cleaned recently? Depending on model, easy to replace instead of clean... parts are cheap on the web.

• Informative
Reactions: JM4CY

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Living in Central Wisconsin I have a hunch I see as much snow as anyone and two models not mentioned here that are pretty good: Husqvarna ST224 24-Inch Two Stage Snow Blower: https://amzn.to/2PAweQc #2 Briggs & Stratton Snow Blower: https://amzn.to/2rBbkqD

And,

I have a 2015, top of the line 27" Poulan Pro my wife got me as a Chrismas gift. It was on sale $800.00 (originally $1,200) with free delivery. Assembly was easy. I really can not come up with any deficiency: throws snow 75 feet, easy to direct snow chute, good traction, not too heavy, goes though hard icy snow and fresh snow up to 14-16 inches with little problem. Electric start. Outside oil changes it has not needed any other maintenance over the past four years.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCyclone

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella

They could have adjusted your carburetor when servicing and it might be running lean. There is a screw on it to adjust if I’m picturing yours right. If the carb is shot they are like 15 bucks online for a generic one.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Horsepower is what will throw the snow. Focus on that if you get a good amount or your driveway will start getting narrower come February.

I had a toro, but stupidly tore the gearbox out and I just decided to get an Ariens since that is what John Deere was selling. Both were great blowers.

Sterling4Cy

Nov 13, 2006
I have a Husqvarna HT230P I've had for a few years. Been very pleased with it. Fires right up every time. Definitely a work horse.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I'm a big fan of Husqvarna stuff bit those Ariens look great too. Unfortunatly I have a Troybuilt that's just a bit over 10 years old. I've had to replace the carb and a couple belts but it's been pretty ok.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
So for a decent new snowblower we're looking at around $1k to spend?

Was hoping less...

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
So for a decent new snowblower we're looking at around $1k to spend?

Was hoping less...
Depends on how much snow you get. There have been years where I didn't use it at all and years where I used it a couple of times. This is why I bought the menards brand and saved the money. If where you live you get a lot of snow then maybe go with the name brand from a dealership.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

I can report that after a couple hours of tinkering around and watching countless YouTube videos, I solved my problem. When in doubt, make sure the gas hose valve is turned to the “On” position.

giphy.gif

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I can report that after a couple hours of tinkering around and watching countless YouTube videos, I solved my problem. When in doubt, make sure the gas hose valve is turned to the “On” position.

giphy.gif

I would tell everyone after an engine overhaul I got it working lol

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron