STAFF PICKS: Xavier Foster

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYber_saber

Mar 2, 2017
I guess you could also interpret it as him giving Iowa one last chance to win him. You love places, things, and institutions like you do family -- they help define you, they provide meaning for you in life, and you become part of them yourself.

If Xavier really grew up a Hawkeye fan in a Hawkeye family with a grandfather that played for the black and gold, then leaving that all behind... and considering the nature of the rivalry, basically forsaking it... was not easy. I feel for the young man for that. Taking one last trip to Iowa City to give Iowa one last chance to change your mind, even if you know and feel that Iowa State's program, players, coaches, and its stronger links to the NBA are the better fit for you... I cannot blame him for it. It can be "win me" and "goodbye" at once.

I guess he might have been giving Iowa one last chance to win him over but, at the same time, I guess you could say it was kind of a wistful goodbye. The reports of him just walking around and taking it in sound like somebody thinking pretty deeply about a huge decision and/or trying to savor it before it is gone and no longer part of his life.

When I finished school and left Iowa to take my first real job, I cried twice driving to Boston. Once at the end of the driveway to the home I'd lived all of my 22 years, and again when I crossed the I-280 bridge leaving Iowa, knowing I would never come back the same person again. Leaving something like that which defines you behind is hard.
As Lord Matt Campbell once said, "Change is inevitable but greatness is a choice". Apparently, XF is wise enough to realize that! :)

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I was looking to see about the availability of firefran.com and I have no idea WTF that domain is.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'll refrain from making fun of Iowa basketball until we beat them. I still have nightmares from 3 years ago when we beat UNO by like 60, then Iowa lost to them, then Iowa smoked us in Carver.

Every time I am confident going into any in-state game we lose. Numerous times to Iowa, UNI and Drake. Never again.

That was super annoying. But I've just learned to let things go when it comes to Iowa basketball. For whatever reason (SUPER BOWL) they play well against us. But in the end, over the Mad Fran era we have had a better overall season than them at least 8 times. The 2 times when they've maybe had the better season, it's been close and the argument can be made that it was a wash or a better Iowa State season. Every year I prepare myself for the idea that maybe Mad Fran's team will have a better season than us. Statistically it is inevitable. Hasn't happened yet though.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
I'll refrain from making fun of Iowa basketball until we beat them. I still have nightmares from 3 years ago when we beat UNO by like 60, then Iowa lost to them, then Iowa smoked us in Carver.

Every time I am confident going into any in-state game we lose. Numerous times to Iowa, UNI and Drake. Never again.

I agree with this. But also it’s not good when Kriener looks like your best player

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
There is a whole lotta reality hitting folks over at hr right now.

thank god they hit some miracle shots last year or the heat would really be on Francis.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I guess you could also interpret it as him giving Iowa one last chance to win him. You love places, things, and institutions like you do family -- they help define you, they provide meaning for you in life, and you become part of them yourself.

If Xavier really grew up a Hawkeye fan in a Hawkeye family with a grandfather that played for the black and gold, then leaving that all behind... and considering the nature of the rivalry, basically forsaking it... was not easy. I feel for the young man for that. Taking one last trip to Iowa City to give Iowa one last chance to change your mind, even if you know and feel that Iowa State's program, players, coaches, and its stronger links to the NBA are the better fit for you... I cannot blame him for it. It can be "win me" and "goodbye" at once.

I guess he might have been giving Iowa one last chance to win him over but, at the same time, I guess you could say it was kind of a wistful goodbye. The reports of him just walking around and taking it in sound like somebody thinking pretty deeply about a huge decision and/or trying to savor it before it is gone and no longer part of his life.

When I finished school and left Iowa to take my first real job, I cried twice driving to Boston. Once at the end of the driveway to the home I'd lived all of my 22 years, and again when I crossed the I-280 bridge leaving Iowa, knowing I would never come back the same person again. Leaving something like that which defines you behind is hard.

Did the same heading the other direction.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I wonder if Foster just couldn't imagine himself playing with someone who's as unathletic as little Fran.

Looks like one legit P6 player on the floor for Iowa and contrary to popular belief, it's not Garza.