Defensive In Game Adjustments

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I was bored this morning waiting for the good basketball news and looked up some defensive yards allowed stats in the last two conference losses.

The yards allowed by quarter for the last two losses are:

Oklahoma State
1st Q 117
2nd Q 179
3rd Q 98
4th Q 8

Total 402

Oklahoma
1st Q 220
2nd Q 154
3rd Q 100
4th Q 25

Total 499

It is probably somewhat related to conservative play calling by them when they are ahead, but it also has to be the adjustments we made at halftime.

I never played college football. My question for those that know, is it really hard to make adjustments to scheme and plan before you get a break at halftime?

2nd quarters seem to have really hurt us this year.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I was bored this morning waiting for the good basketball news and looked up some defensive yards allowed stats in the last two conference losses.

Oklahoma State
1st Q 117
2nd Q 179
3rd Q 98
4th Q 8

Total 402

Oklahoma
1st Q 220
2nd Q 154
3rd Q 100
4th Q 25

Total 499

It is probably somewhat related to conservative play calling by them when they are ahead, but it also has to be the adjustments we made at halftime.

I never played college football. My question for those that know, is it really hard to make adjustments to scheme and plan before you get a break at halftime?

When you've practiced a certain scheme for most of the week, it is not easy switching that up mid game. Halftime allows coaches and players to regroup and effectively relay to all players and support staff the different direction they are going in.

Great breakdown of showing the improvement in yards given up per quarter.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Oklahoma State
1st Q 117
2nd Q 179
3rd Q 98
4th Q 8

Total 402

Oklahoma
1st Q 220
2nd Q 154
3rd Q 100
4th Q 25

Total 499

Simple answer - Yes

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Their tackling and pursuit has been better in the 2nd half of most games which also helps.

Gonna need 4 quarters of very good football this weekend.

I feel like Texas is going to start putting it together.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

Oklahoma State
1st Q 117
2nd Q 179
3rd Q 98
4th Q 8

Total 402

Oklahoma
1st Q 220
2nd Q 154
3rd Q 100
4th Q 25

Total 499

You're generally busy making in-game decisions like play calling, substitutions, and technique correction to individual players.

Halftime provides the first reprieve from that so you can put the brains eyes and ears of the coordinator and position coaches together to collect observations, analyze how the other team is attacking you, and decide on the best counters to that.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
All I know is just I used to get nervous for halftime under Rhoads. Seems like things got worse.

Now I just hope to hang on until half. Things will definitely get better

Reactions: BigTurk

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I also feel like perhaps ISU has the depth on defense to stay really good at the end of the game, but not-quite the talent to be elite from the beginning of the game.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneFan4

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
My concern on Texas is the effort level of their linemen. When Texas wants to play HARD, they are really big and good. They could shut down the run, pressure Purdy, and run the ball with some consistency if they play hard. Like they did last year. Texas is as good as they want to be when they play with elite effort. They gave LSU a hell of a game.

Hopefully they are not that motivated to start with, and some cold weather dents that further.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
These stats are exactly what you can use to evaluate a coaching staff. Honestly, anybody can show up to a game and throw some unique/funky stuff at a defense and have success for awhile. Great coaches make adjustments and kick ass in the 2nd half.

I remember a Bill Snyder team years back. '97 or '98 maybe. They didn't allow a single point in the 3rd quarter all season. Phenomenal.

Edit: it was '99 according to wikipedia
upload_2019-11-11_13-16-3.png

...yes that was the year we blew our 28-7 halftime lead