Another Submission to the Big 12 Apology Binder?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Those referees were abysmal on Saturday.. and their poor calls were not solely against us. It looked like they had no idea what they were doing and that showed as they picked up two flags that I thought should not have been picked up: the PI on Oklahoma that was clear PI, and then the holding on our O-line late in the game that looked to be holding.

I'm not mad they didn't call this play PI. Don't get me wrong, it was a penalty but at a time of the game like that you rarely see that flag being thrown. This type of refereeing has been seen all across college football and the NFL and it's getting worse.

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
Watched the replay multiple times - when the ball hits you in stomach, you should catch it. Pettway didn't make the play to win the game. That's why when Campbell was asked about PI, he immediately said" No no no no no." Brock made a perfect throw - catch the damn ball and we win - the rest is sour grapes.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I also wonder why not take the 3pts in the fourth vs the Hail Mary 4th and goal from the 20

• Agree
Reactions: agcy68

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
Watched the replay multiple times - when the ball hits you in stomach, you should catch it. Pettway didn't make the play to win the game. That's why when Campbell was asked about PI, he immediately said" No no no no no." Brock made a perfect throw - catch the damn ball and we win - the rest is sour grapes.

Agree. Dude was all over him, but gotta make this catch.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Watch the whole replay over again. Keep an eye on Kolar. He gets WIDE open on the goal line. However, he is that open because it appears he pushed off when he made his back cut. If Purdy found Kolar, it would be OU fans complaining. So I think it's a wash

The biggest takeaway from this game is the team constantly gets off to slow starts. They can't afford to put themselves in a hole to dig out of each game.

• Agree
Reactions: GoodyISU1

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The biggest takeaway from this game is the team constantly gets off to slow starts. They can't afford to put themselves in a hole to dig out of each game.

This has been an element in 3 of the 4 losses. Maybe ISU still loses all of them anyway, but can't get unglued with what probably was an incorrect non-call on a 2-point conversion that late in the game with a shot to win. Behind by 14 or 21 points for a majority of the game and so many other details that could have made it closer (missed INTs, penalties, and such).

At times I get irritated with questionable calls as they happen, but I've stopped getting hung-up about it after the game is done.

nickoff

Oct 14, 2017
Portland, OR
That was a bad call. I was more upset with the Oklahoma player getting flagged for delay of game for mimicking Purdy's clapping to snap the ball. The fact that the ref basically hand his hand on his flag, ready to throw it before it even happened, and Purdy's immediate pointing to the player who did it after the whistle blew tells me Iowa State told the refs they were doing it. How many off-sides did he draw before he finally got flagged? I know the play right before we got called for off-sides. Most likely because of the illegal clapping. Bush league, especially if he was being instructed by the coaches.

I don't understand why this isn't a bigger deal and harsher penalty. They are basically trying to cheat on purpose and got caught. Why isn't that unsportmans like penalty or even disqualification?

Really pisses me off and Riley should be ashamed his players are doing that.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
1. On the two point conversion - I think if you have the NFL pass interference review rule then pass interference would be called.
2. Hard to blame Pettiway for not catching the ball with the defenders arm impeding his arms and blocking his vision. Just hard to make a catch with the defender tackling you. If that was the national championship game there would be a call to implement that review in college football (not saying I'm for it).
3. Gotta like CMC's approach. As this program/team matures those situations will flip. The point about Kolar has some merit. As posters have said there were plenty other situations that could have gone our way.
4. The picked up flag at the end of the 2nd quarter was a bigger mistake imo. I think it was catch-able, the announcers talked about receiver falling down but even so the defender impeded the receiver after the receiver got back up and the referee who called it had a great view. That's probably a 14 point shift. Is there a rule that your allowed to interfere if a defender falls down?
5. Be nice to have Real Mitchell close to the goal line, I don't think anybody catches him on a sprint to the corner goal line flag. But its so hard to keep Brock out too so its a tough dilemma.
6. With 10 minutes to go we go for it on a 4th and 20, don't criticize the decision but man those 3 points would be nice.
7. I recognize there were calls in our favor too we were just so damn close!!!
8. I looked at most of the first half and did not see any defenders clapping but I wonder if they weren't yelling cadences, can kind of see some of the defenders bouncing a bit which reminded me of when defensive linemen would yell or howl or bark?
8. Maybe this loss propels this team into a long win streak.... Brock Purdy doesn't deserve another loss as a Cyclone.
9. Gotta Beat Texas!!!

Reactions: isutrevman

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Watch the whole replay over again. Keep an eye on Kolar. He gets WIDE open on the goal line. However, he is that open because it appears he pushed off when he made his back cut. If Purdy found Kolar, it would be OU fans complaining. So I think it's a wash

Take a closer look at Kolar’s route. The defender was not trying to match up and cover him. He was setting up at the goal line to initiate contact and impede his progress downfield like OU was doing all night against Kolar. Kolar was ready for it this time and pivoted away from the defender’s attempt to block his progress.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
4. The picked up flag at the end of the 2nd quarter was a bigger mistake imo. I think it was catch-able, the announcers talked about receiver falling down but even so the defender impeded the receiver after the receiver got back up and the referee who called it had a great view. That's probably a 14 point shift. Is there a rule that your allowed to interfere if a defender falls down?

This times 1,000

I was much more torqued off about that sequence before half time. Picked up an obvious PI, stop the ISU drive. Then throw the PI on ISU in the end zone a couple minutes later, on a much lesser amount of contact and actual interference with the WR. At that point you knew the fix was in and they didn't want ISU to even get close enough to threaten.

Call both, or call neither, and it's at least a 7 pt swing in favor of ISU.

FWIW, the PI on ISU at the end of the half there was less contact than on the 2pt attempt.

Reactions: jbhtexas

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

I think they would have thrown the flag on us if the pass had gone to Kolar. A lot of times they'll let contact like that go if it doesn't end up giving the offense an advantage. Very rarely will they call OPI when that receiver isn't the target. But if the ball went his way.....flags would have come out, IMO. That's why I'm not too upset that Purdy went to Pettway.

• Disagree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
1. On the two point conversion - I think if you have the NFL pass interference review rule then pass interference would be called.
2. Hard to blame Pettiway for not catching the ball with the defenders arm impeding his arms and blocking his vision. Just hard to make a catch with the defender tackling you. If that was the national championship game there would be a call to implement that review in college football (not saying I'm for it).
3. Gotta like CMC's approach. As this program/team matures those situations will flip. The point about Kolar has some merit. As posters have said there were plenty other situations that could have gone our way.
5. Be nice to have Real Mitchell close to the goal line, I don't think anybody catches him on a sprint to the corner goal line flag. But its so hard to keep Brock out too so its a tough dilemma.
6. With 10 minutes to go we go for it on a 4th and 20, don't criticize the decision but man those 3 points would be nice.
7. I recognize there were calls in our favor too we were just so damn close!!!
8. I looked at most of the first half and did not see any defenders clapping but I wonder if they weren't yelling cadences, can kind of see some of the defenders bouncing a bit which reminded me of when defensive linemen would yell or howl or bark?
8. Maybe this loss propels this team into a long win streak.... Brock Purdy doesn't deserve another loss as a Cyclone.
9. Gotta Beat Texas!!!

I’m with you on # 6 above. That was a mistake

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
That is not a screw job. The ref missed a call. It happens. We’ve benefited from bad calls too, you know. A screw job was that k-State game where the refs kept huddling after penalties and picking up the flags. THAT was a screw job. Or allowing that three at Phog after the missed front end of two free throws. This was a blown call. That’s just part of it. I hate when Cyclone fans overblow this **** because it minimizes the times when it really happens.