STAFF PICKS: Xavier Foster

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
If XF goes to hoks like his dad always wanted him to, the real 'I told you so' moment will be MadFran laughing at Dolph-- "Can't recruit huh? MFer!!!!"

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
If XF goes to hoks like his dad always wanted him to, the real 'I told you so' moment will be MadFran laughing at Dolph-- "Can't recruit huh? MFer!!!!"

If I recall not being able to get a quality point guard was the point of contention. However, I am sure that Dolph has been told in no uncertain terms to treat Fran like the next John Wooden..

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
If I recall not being able to get a quality point guard was the point of contention. However, I am sure that Dolph has been told in no uncertain terms to treat Fran like the next John Wooden..

None of the things that made that statement true have changed.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This is the only type of high end recruit that McCaffery has been able to pull at Iowa. The legacy kid or huge Hawkeye fan that has always dreamed of playing at Carver Hawkeye Arena. If that's the case for Xavier, it makes sense as to why he'd choose them, especially if Fran is telling him he'll be a starter from day 1 (which I imagine he did).

This get for Iowa ate up 3 scholarships and the costs will probably outweigh the benefits. They now have two guys on the roster that will probably rarely see the floor and their other recruits they brought in are far from world beaters. Next year they'll most likely lose Joe Weiscamp and their guard play will be really down.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
This is the only type of high end recruit that McCaffery has been able to pull at Iowa. The legacy kid or huge Hawkeye fan that has always dreamed of playing at Carver Hawkeye Arena. If that's the case for Xavier, it makes sense as to why he'd choose them, especially if Fran is telling him he'll be a starter from day 1 (which I imagine he did).

This get for Iowa ate up 3 scholarships and the costs will probably outweigh the benefits. They now have two guys on the roster that will probably rarely see the floor and their other recruits they brought in are far from world beaters. Next year they'll most likely lose Joe Weiscamp and their guard play will be really down.

yeah, I don’t think this was a decision based upon basketball factors.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Who knows.......maybe Fran's ability to develop big's is the reason. I mean look...he improved Woodbury's and Garza's vertical from one sheet of paper to three. Who wouldn't want to play for a coach like that?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

I’m sure your right and I hope that Dolph uses heavy sarcasm while complimenting Frans efforts

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
yeah, I don’t think this was a decision based upon basketball factors.
It would be extremely hard to make a case that it would be. Iowa fans claim Fran does a better job with bigs when there's actually no data at all to back that up. He has one guy in the NBA that played a 4/5 and he's on a two way contract. I'd also say that Tyler Cook didn't develop much at all basketball wise in his time at Iowa. Woodbury is the only other decent big man that Fran has had and I don't even think he had a cup of coffee in the NBA.

If Xavier is going to choose Iowa, it has to be for comfortability reasons, which is fine. If he has better relationships with their players and it feels like a better fit, then good, he should definitely go there. I would love to have him but if he wasn't going to feel comfortable playing for us I wouldn't want him to fake that he liked Iowa State.

Reactions: kentkel

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Tweet_recruits.0.0.jpg

Just a friendly reminder to everyone. Don’t be a jackass.