Tayvonn Kyle Starter

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I didn’t catch this until I read the postgame notes, but apparently Tayvonn Kyle made his first start at corner yesterday.

I know he came in as a wideout, and I know he’d been playing more lately. Looks like he had a decent game. Anyone have any more insight on this?

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe after the 1Q we thought we should put some hands in the secondary, as Hurts was throwing it right to us.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe after the 1Q we thought we should put some hands in the secondary, as Hurts was throwing it right to us.
Well, I think he beat out Datrone Young at corner, but I thought someone might know more.

PsychedCy09

Jul 8, 2018
Well, I think he beat out Datrone Young at corner, but I thought someone might know more.

yeah I don’t have any details but Datrone has struggled this year and probably left the door open to take that spot. Kyle did look good for the relatively small amount of time he has been at corner

Reactions: Aclone

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Kyle got the start and looked pretty good. Young is very talented and a solid player but he's looked lost out there a bit this year.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Kyle got the start and looked pretty good. Young is very talented and a solid player but he's looked lost out there a bit this year.

Young got beat badly a couple of times yesterday (though, granted, it was against probably the best receiver in the game.)

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
We lucked into him being a Cyclone, he wasn't a take until someone flipped or committed elsewhere late. Can't recall which, but he was headed to a Georgia school if not for that late happening, Georgia State I think it was.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Getting tired of seeing Young fly up and miss the tackle. That's the one area where our defense has struggled vs the past few years. To play this defense, you have to have elite tacklers at DB and we don't have it. Especially with Eisworth hurt.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Getting tired of seeing Young fly up and miss the tackle. That's the one area where our defense has struggled vs the past few years. To play this defense, you have to have elite tacklers at DB and we don't have it. Especially with Eisworth hurt.
The DB's have been tough, I also think Rose was a better MLB than on the outside, but for the sake of the team I understand the move.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I don't know, he tackled DeShaunte Jones pretty well at the end of the Iowa game :mad:

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I really don't think Payne/Peavy struggled. I've only noticed the poor tackling on the outside this year (D. Young) -- and mostly because it was so good the last 2 years.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Peavy and Payne were high-end tackling DBs and always kept the edge. Young has been burned not properly setting the edge at times. Him and Kyle will both continue to improve in that regard.

It seems that we're asking our corners to play more man this year, which makes their coverage duties more difficult. Not sure if it's because of deficiencies elsewhere (safety) or because we think we can do it and apply more pressure (a la TCU). If we can eventually leave both corners on an island (and Johnson is most of the way there) we'll be very dangerous. Kyle is 4.4 speed and a high school track guy. Young's nickname is "Speedy." They have the tools and toughness, they just need to fine tune their technique.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I really don't think Payne/Peavy struggled. I've only noticed the poor tackling on the outside this year (D. Young) -- and mostly because it was so good the last 2 years.

No, those two did not struggle. What I meant is that we are struggling this year vs what we had in the past. Young flies in and misses the tackle more often than not. We did not have that problem with Peavy and Payne. Bickham is not a solid tackler. Eisworth usually is, but not when he's dinged up. White is just OK there. We win the past two games with Peavy and Payne.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Somewhat unrelated, but what does ISU have for young safeties? Lewis is a senior and Elsworth might be done after this year. The guy from Rice seems to get a lot of playing time, and has struggled. Just concerned about what happens next year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron