*** Official IOWA STATE VS #9 Oklahoma Game(Day) Thread ***

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The bottom line of this team is inconsistency and lack of discipline. Every loss...too many penalties and a team that plays well for a half at best. Look at this one. Two dropped INTs, one of which (and maybe both) are pick sixes. Double digit penalties that doomed scoring drives. Horrid play calling by our OC for much of the game. That’s the mark of a 5-4 team that is 15 points from being unbeaten like Baylor.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'd like to know what the first read is on that play for Purdy? It was probably Pettway, but it should be Kolar. Nobody is going to stop Kolar when he runs a yd into the endzone and posts you up and spins off of you. He was wide open, and that should have been the first read, but likely wasn't.

The Pettway route is nothing special at all and relatively easy to defend IMO. It still was pass interference though, and that is why I don't blame Pettway for not catching it. Let me throw you the ball and right before the ball gets to you someone grabs and pulls you a certain direction. You would have no chance of catching that either. It throws you completely off.

I'm really proud of this team though for fighting back. I hate how they have the tendency to get down early in games, but at least they never give up. I'll tell you one thing, it's much easier living on the eastern side of the state losing by one than losing by 60, and this team just NEVER loses by much..... that does say a lot about them.

I just wish for their own happiness that they could get up early in these games instead of having to fight back. They'd have a lot more success.

Reactions: khardbored

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Going for two was the wrong call.

Iowa State held Oklahoma to seven points in the second half. Trust the defense in overtime.
I like the ballsiness of going for two, but we had all the momentum offensive and defensively that just leaves me wondering what could've been.

If the halfs were flipped where we gave up 7 in the first half and 35 in the second half and we were down 42-41 after scoring a touchdown, I would've been yelling to go for two.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Kolar was just making his move as a blitzer was coming down the throat of Purdy. Wasn’t a bad play by Purdy, IMO.

how many posts during this game, and two weeks ago, complained about brock throwing off his back foot? Or not running enough.

Well he rarely has had time to set up and throw the ball, requiring a back foot throw to avoid pressure.

and the rpo was an utter disaster tonight.

but breece needs 25 touches a game. It’s right to criticize manning for that. but if the line continues to regress, it’s not going to matter what plays he calls. The sweeps are good because it requires a quick seal. But anything that requires a blocking scheme is a real issue with these guys.

• Agree

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I'd like to know what the first read is on that play for Purdy? It was probably Pettway, but it should be Kolar. Nobody is going to stop Kolar when he runs a yd into the endzone and posts you up and spins off of you. He was wide open, and that should have been the first read, but likely wasn't.

The Pettway route is nothing special at all and relatively easy to defend IMO. It still was pass interference though, and that is why I don't blame Pettway for not catching it. Let me throw you the ball and right before the ball gets to you someone grabs and pulls you a certain direction. You would have no chance of catching that either. It throws you completely off.

I'm really proud of this team though for fighting back. I hate how they have the tendency to get down early in games, but at least they never give up. I'll tell you one thing, it's much easier living on the eastern side of the state losing by one than losing by 60, and this team just NEVER loses by much..... that does say a lot about them.

I just wish for their own happiness that they could get up early in these games instead of having to fight back. They'd have a lot more success.

sigh, there was blitz that didn’t allow him time to wait for the tight end.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The bottom line of this team is inconsistency and lack of discipline. Every loss...too many penalties and a team that plays well for a half at best. Look at this one. Two dropped INTs, one of which (and maybe both) are pick sixes. Double digit penalties that doomed scoring drives. Horrid play calling by our OC for much of the game. That’s the mark of a 5-4 team that is 15 points from being unbeaten like Baylor.
Amen, brother...it'd be nice if we didn't piss away the first half every f&cking always.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
how many posts during this game, and two weeks ago, complained about brock throwing off his back foot? Or not running enough.

Well he rarely has had time to set up and throw the ball, requiring a back foot throw to avoid pressure.

and the rpo was an utter disaster tonight.

but breece needs 25 touches a game. It’s right to criticize manning for that. but if the line continues to regress, it’s not going to matter what plays he calls. The sweeps are good because it requires a quick seal. But anything that requires a blocking scheme is a real issue with these guys.
My only real gripe with manning today was not going back to the well with the quick toss to Hall towards the end of the game. That play was good for a minimum of 8 yards all game and we ran it 4 times.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Amen, brother...it'd be nice if we didn't piss away the first half every f&cking always.

I expected OU to come out firing on all cylinders tonight so wasn't shocked to see ISU struggle a bit but I did expect ISU to not be as sloppy.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Rough one. Three fairly easy int missed. A mountain of penalties, and a pretty wide open Kolar missed for the win. Still a great game. I agree with the call to go for two. I wouldn't want to chance us needing to win the game on several field goal attempts. The win was there, just didn't finish.

CYISFLY

Jun 30, 2009
SW Ia
Looking back at going for 2, which by the way I thought that was the thing to. Kicking an extra point isn’t really a gimme. It was a big game, and there are no guarantees that, the kick would been a for sure thing. Can’t fault going for a walk off 2 point conversation. Peace, out

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Just to think ... if we had made EITHER of those interceptions in the first half, OR scored on the 4 chances to score inside the 10 series we likely would have won the game tonight.

I think Manning is getting a free pass now because of the way the game ended but he pissed that chance down our leg. Why we didn’t give it to Breece is beyond me.

It also sucks to think that if we had just made one of those plays on D this likely ends up being a totally different game

• Agree

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
When were in the heavy set nobody can stop us. It just blows my my mind why we don't use the three tights and with Breece in the mix? We should be 8-1. Learn from your mistakes and don't be stubborn. It's obvious......

CarterCloneFan

Dec 3, 2018
I agree with a lot of posters about Brock missed a couple reads for one reason or another, I was screaming at the TV during the play where Pettway was open after the CDumb lamb fumble. But that kid played a hell of a game tonight, just thinking about a couple throws he made in tight windows, such as the one deep to Milton to set up the second to last TD drive. And the “juicy wiggle” he pulled on #10 there on his 3rd down run. I expected nothing less after his below average performance against OSU. We’re so lucky he’s wearing the cardinal and gold!

clonefanpaul

Omnipresent Lurker
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2009
Milwaukee, WI

Okay, so ISU is one of (or maybe the) least penalized team in the country. This is the best offense ISU has ever had. Statistically. The best. Ever. No disagreement on the dropped picks, but the idea that the OC and discipline is a problem for this team is comical. Tough breaks happen, and luck exists in this game. Sometimes you get a crap roll, just like we did on the 2 pt conversion. If ISU had converted that, you'd be talking about B12 championship possibility right now.

• Winner
Reactions: NENick

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Just to think ... if we had made EITHER of those interceptions in the first half, OR scored on the 4 chances to score inside the 10 series we likely would have won the game tonight.

Or kicked and made the FG on 4th and goal from the 13 down 14 with 8 minutes left. No guarantees on that FG obviously but I think that should be what people are questioning. Going for 2 was a no brainer for a coach with any kind of reasonably sized sac in that game.