Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.

I really respect you for this post. Losing weight is tough. Really tough. I won't hit you with empty platitudes, other than to say, when it seems like it is really hard, that is not a you thing - losing weight really is hard. Keep trying. You can do it.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
74F540B7-A1AF-4BA6-9CD5-8FAB6FAD19C5.jpeg

Accountability Check. Down 5 lbs from last week. 11 pounds total.

Even though it’s just 11 pounds, I am STUNNED by how much better I feel. I honestly feel like I’m on drugs. Waking up is not a task anymore. I can already walk up stairs and not be out of breath. I’m thinking WAY more clearly, too.

I thought a change of diet would take me a few months to get accustomed to, but it really only took me a little over a week to go from eating out twice a day to choosing to eat home-cooked meals. I guess I’m addicted to feeling good.

See you guys next week. Go Cyclones!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
View attachment 68635

Even though it’s just 11 pounds, I am STUNNED by how much better I feel. I honestly feel like I’m on drugs. Waking up is not a task anymore. I can already walk up stairs and not be out of breath. I’m thinking WAY more clearly, too.

I thought a change of diet would take me a few months to get accustomed to, but it really only took me a little over a week to go from eating out twice a day to choosing to eat home-cooked meals. I guess I’m addicted to feeling good.

Good job; keep it up!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
View attachment 68635

Not making the big gains (losses) you are, but I'm down 2 more to a total of 5 off of my high. Took the daughter to a football game last night that ended up starting an hour and a half late. Didn't have time to really eat anything before the game but a small thin reheated slice of pizza and a can of pop on the drive to the game. (Mama says that pop is the devil... @BoxsterCy says that too.) Resisted the urge to buy and eat anything during the game and when I got home I decided that a glass of water was a better choice than a midnight snack before bed. Small wins...

I'm already getting my mindset right for Thanksgiving. I think I am going to concentrate on tiny portions of all of the great food because I like to try everything. I am going to let it all sit for quite a while before I go for the inevitable seconds - again with tiny portions. The wait is just to let my body's satiety response have a chance to catch up. It's Thanksgiving so I'm not going to try to go crazy, but no reason to undo everything I have done. If I can get through the week at the same weight as I started I will take it as a huge win. If I only gain back one I will take it as a minor win. Snacking while we are sitting around playing cards or games and visiting with extended family is the other pitfall for which I need to watch out. I also need to remember to bring workout clothes to the in-laws so I am not tempted to just sit on my butt the whole time.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
View attachment 68635

Put 11 pounds in a backpack and carry it around for just an hour and you will realize why "just 11 pounds" is already making you feel better.

You are doing great!!!

By the way, you are dropping it fast at the moment. Prepare yourself psychologically for a plateau. You do nothing differently than you have been - making smart choices and doing the right things - but suddenly you are losing less or none at all. That demon is just fighting back. You need to expect it and be ready for it. Just like at the Battle of the Bulge (pun intended) take the punches and keep going because you are winning in the end.

Last edited:

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I was 278 this morning. Was 286 two weeks ago and 300 earlier this year. It bounces up and down but important to realize its a marathon not a sprint.

I did have a physical earlier this week and my blood pressure was normal (last year I was pre-hyper tension) and cholesterol levels all checked out. So even though the weight has come off a little on the slow side, healthy eating has shown other benefits.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Not making the big gains (losses) you are, but I'm down 2 more to a total of 5 off of my high. Took the daughter to a football game last night that ended up starting an hour and a half late. Didn't have time to really eat anything before the game but a small thin reheated slice of pizza and a can of pop on the drive to the game. (Mama says that pop is the devil... @BoxsterCy says that too.) Resisted the urge to buy and eat anything during the game and when I got home I decided that a glass of water was a better choice than a midnight snack before bed. Small wins...

I'm already getting my mindset right for Thanksgiving. I think I am going to concentrate on tiny portions of all of the great food because I like to try everything. I am going to let it all sit for quite a while before I go for the inevitable seconds - again with tiny portions. The wait is just to let my body's satiety response have a chance to catch up. It's Thanksgiving so I'm not going to try to go crazy, but no reason to undo everything I have done. If I can get through the week at the same weight as I started I will take it as a huge win. If I only gain back one I will take it as a minor win. Snacking while we are sitting around playing cards or games and visiting with extended family is the other pitfall for which I need to watch out. I also need to remember to bring workout clothes to the in-laws so I am not tempted to just sit on my butt the whole time.
Pop is absolutely the WORST part of most of our diets. A lot of people who are overweight (myself included) chugged pop all day and there is no benefit to it. I had a boss who would literally drink out of a two liter bottle and finish one off EVERY DAY. He not-so-shockingly was diagnosed with diabetes and gave up pop altogether. He dropped so much weight. Cutting out pop was the first thing I did and it has really helped.

The other thing I'm doing that is really working is intermittent fasting. I only eat from between noon-6 pm. I don't know how it all works, but I've heard from and seen alot of people have success with that and it appears to be working for me as well.

Keep it up @VeloClone!

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Pop is absolutely the WORST part of most of our diets. A lot of people who are overweight (myself included) chugged pop all day and there is no benefit to it. I had a boss who would literally drink out of a two liter bottle and finish one off EVERY DAY. He not-so-shockingly was diagnosed with diabetes and gave up pop altogether. He dropped so much weight. Cutting out pop was the first thing I did and it has really helped.

The other thing I'm doing that is really working is intermittent fasting. I only eat from between noon-6 pm. I don't know how it all works, but I've heard from and seen alot of people have success with that and it appears to be working for me as well.

Keep it up @VeloClone!

I've been doing the intermittent fasting as well, but doing 8 and 16, so I eat from noon to 8. I started a few months ago and its worked. Of course life gets in the way and it can be easy to fall off the wagon, which I did for most of October, but its important to not give up and get back into it.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Keep it up @VeloClone!
First pop I had in a week. I knew they were empty calories but I needed the caffeine because I was nearly falling asleep at my desk at work and I knew it was going to be a long night. I didn't have time to make some coffee so one devil's juice it was.

I definitely don't take the soda calories lightly.

Reactions: cyclone4L

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I've had a rough November. First it was a sinus infection that made it difficult to breathe and work out, and almost immediately on the heels of that I got shingles. Any kind of exercise was out of the question for a week or so, and the symptoms are just now starting to retreat so I'm going to try to ease back into it this weekend. I was careful about what and how much I ate during the downtime but I know I added a few pounds. Guys, shingles are awful. I don't wish that on anyone.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Going to try and run on the indoor track a little today, maybe just a couple of miles. Hung the bike up for the year and haven't done anything aerobic this month. Will see if the old man knees will let me jog, they did last winter but got angry at me this spring but that was bike time again so didn't try running all summer.

And quit bummed that my right elbow tendinitis blew up on me last week after raking and bagging a million bags of leaves. Both, varieties to (again) "golf" and "tennis" so that's going to kibosh any weight stuff for a while. Since it's both I have to flip a coin to decide which to compress with the elbow brace. :rolleyes:

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
First pop I had in a week. I knew they were empty calories but I needed the caffeine because I was nearly falling asleep at my desk at work and I knew it was going to be a long night. I didn't have time to make some coffee so one devil's juice it was.

I definitely don't take the soda calories lightly.

I used to do this too. Some info that was helpful to me was:

Mountain Dew 55.0 mg
Coca-Cola Classic 34.0 mg
Coffee, Drip 115-175 mg
Coffee, Brewed 80-135 mg
Coffee, Espresso (2 ounces) 100 mg

That's the caffeine content of those beverages. Yes, pop has some caffeine, but it's no more than half of a cup of coffee. So, when I'm thinking about a pop to give me that boost, I remember I can get twice the boost for a fraction of the calories (and no sugar).

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I've had a rough November. First it was a sinus infection that made it difficult to breathe and work out, and almost immediately on the heels of that I got shingles. Any kind of exercise was out of the question for a week or so, and the symptoms are just now starting to retreat so I'm going to try to ease back into it this weekend. I was careful about what and how much I ate during the downtime but I know I added a few pounds. Guys, shingles are awful. I don't wish that on anyone.

I had shingles in my 20's, they are awful. Another awful one is when I had scabies back in junior/early high school. Those weren't fun either.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
View attachment 68635

Its amazing how much just the mentality alone boosts almost everything you are talking about. Add on top of it healthier choices and it really does impact every facet of ones life.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I had shingles in my 20's, they are awful. Another awful one is when I had scabies back in junior/early high school. Those weren't fun either.

Did you get the shingles vaccine after you got over the shingles? I haven't asked my doctor yet but I'm worried it'll be prohibitively expensive since my insurance might not cover the vaccine for people until they reach 50, so I'm ten years early. Sorry for hijacking the thread. I'll drop it after this.