Taco place off Welch in early 70's?

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
In the early 70's there was a small Mexi restaurant that had a special of 4 tacos for a dollar (Thursday night I think).We freshmen in Dodds House would take orders and bring back sacks of tacos for everyone. It was west, right off Welch. Anyone know the name? They later went to 3 for a buck so we quit going.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
That was before my time, but there was a Mexican joint on Duff when i was in school that had a thing where if you or anyone in your party could drink two, large margaritas, the whole group ate for free. Sounded good, so we tried it. The combination of size, booze content and tartness of these things was otherworldly.

Sad to say...we couldn’t get it done.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
That was before my time, but there was a Mexican joint on Duff when i was in school that had a thing where if you or anyone in your party could drink two, large margaritas, the whole group ate for free. Sounded good, so we tried it. The combination of size, booze content and tartness of these things was otherworldly.

the fishbowl margaritas. I remember those...but not much else.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
I think you are thinking of La Fuente, maybe?
La Fuente would be my first guess, also, however I think their margarita challenge prize was a t-shirt. The concept of a *group* eating for free if one person finishes two large drinks doesn't sound very sustainable, though.

La Fuente building is a Mexican restaurant again, as of recently. Forgot what it's called now but food was decent.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006

O'Malley McGee's?

Reactions: jcyclonee

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
La Fuente would be my first guess, also, however I think their margarita challenge prize was a t-shirt. The concept of a *group* eating for free if one person finishes two large drinks doesn't sound very sustainable, though.

La Fuente building is a Mexican restaurant again, as of recently. Forgot what it's called now but food was decent.

It was La Fuente, and I think you’re right about the T-Shirt being the prize as opposed to the meal. Those things were enormous.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron