ISU paint colors

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I did my theater/man cave in cardinal & gold paint from Home Depot. I might still have the cans at home. I'll try to remember to check the paint names, but I think it came out pretty close.

2SXIxIk.jpg

42Ld0QL.jpg

uua9ZEy.jpg

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Rather than do a solid wall, I'd consider breaking it up. Cardinal on top, gold below, and a bright white chair rail in between. Or the "helmet stripe" idea that you posted. The helmet stripe would allow you to put a huge I State vinyl on the wall later, where a chair rail would limit the size you could do.

Btw, I'm totes jelly of you guys that have media rooms. I've got 5 to 8 more years of kids before I'll be able to do that to one of their current bedrooms.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Don't use the colors that Menards has. Their red turns out maroon. I found out the hard way this summer.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I did my theater/man cave in cardinal & gold paint from Home Depot. I might still have the cans at home. I'll try to remember to check the paint names, but I think it came out pretty close.

2SXIxIk.jpg

42Ld0QL.jpg

uua9ZEy.jpg
Like the area rug idea too. I need to look for something. Found this...

7121_250x.jpg

Reactions: aauummm

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
My wife has granted me permission to paint my man cave and I am trying to go ISU colors. Has anyone else done this and if so do you have to color codes for the correct shades? My painter uses Sherwin Williams so I am looking for those paint color codes.

Also would you do 3 walls cardinal 1 wall gold or 3 walls gold 1 wall cardinal?
I'm leaning towards 3 cardinal 1 gold and putting tv on the gold wall.

I got in touch with ISU licensing dept. years ago about putting the older McCarney era logo on my garage door, and they granted a one-time usage contract and also sent me info that included all the available logos that included the Pantone colors that corresponded with each logo so you would know exactly what to use.

I presume anybody that handles paint professionally would be able to mix the colors as the Pantone guide has color formulas for essentially every color in that guide.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Rather than do a solid wall, I'd consider breaking it up. Cardinal on top, gold below, and a bright white chair rail in between. Or the "helmet stripe" idea that you posted. The helmet stripe would allow you to put a huge I State vinyl on the wall later, where a chair rail would limit the size you could do.

Btw, I'm totes jelly of you guys that have media rooms. I've got 5 to 8 more years of kids before I'll be able to do that to one of their current bedrooms.

Beat me to it but I would think maybe the bottome third or half on cardinal and top portion in gold would look good and wouldn't darken the room as much like solid cardinal walls would. Could even do some kind of stripe or find some ISU trim/border to separate the colors too

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

2SXIxIk.jpg

42Ld0QL.jpg

uua9ZEy.jpg

I was gonna recommend doing one cardinal wall, probably the one with the tv, then do the rest with memorabilia, posters etc, but this looks nice. Not to dark in the room. Our lighting would suck for it though

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

2SXIxIk.jpg

42Ld0QL.jpg

uua9ZEy.jpg

Ok, now all you guys posting stuff are just making me jealous, but in a good way congrats to all of you.

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I was gonna recommend doing one cardinal wall, probably the one with the tv, then do the rest with memorabilia, posters etc, but this looks nice. Not to dark in the room. Our lighting would suck for it though

I don't find that the screen on the gold wall messes with it's brightness much, mainly because I hung the curtains on the side. This is in my basement and the only window is an egress window I hung a black out curtain over, so it gets plenty dark for the screen.

However, if you really cared about the quality of the picture, you'd probably want to do darker paints across the whole area, which isn't really an option if you want to do an ISU room, unless you go all cardinal.

One thing that did help was that I got flat paint for everything, which really cuts down on the projector light bouncing off the walls.

Help Support Us

Become a patron