ESPN+ basics

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Ok so I just by this Roku device and it will help me get ESPN plus. After buying Roku do I only have to buy ESPN plus or do I have to buy something else
With a Roku you just buy the device. From there you can select providers, a lot of which are free.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Last edited:
Reactions: isutrevman

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I had Slingtv for a while and at first I thought it was good because of the price drop but after a while I hated it. Interface sucks, streaming reliability sucked, and I had to jump out of the app and onto the antenna for local channels.

It was a giant pain and streaming sucks.

• Disagree
Reactions: ComCY

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
no, its not

you have to have access to espn thru another service to be able to stream any of their "tv channels"
To clarify, you won’t need a cable subscription/streaming provider to gain access or watch ESPN+ content, just an espn+ subscription. if you want to watch any other ESPN content/channels, then yes you still need a cable or streaming provider.

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
Wait until the games are actually aired. They often change what channel they are on... may not need it

• Optimistic
Reactions: JD720

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Does anyone know if the games on ESPN+ will be live only or will viewing delayed be an option. I DVR a ton of games and watch them delayed. I doubt if my DVR will be compatible with ESPN+.

Supposedly you can watch delayed starting 30 minutes after the game ends. This is probably my biggest complaint. If for some reason you can't start watching when the game starts you either have to join in progress or wait until it is over. I'm also not sure how long (if at all) you can pause the live broadcast.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
https://www.rokuguide.com/articles/how-to-install-and-activate-espn-on-roku

Edit: I should've added you have to be currently subscribed to a provider that lets you receive ESPN, ESPN2, etc. In other words, you can't just buy a streaming device and subscribe to ESPN+ through it and get all their content.
That is not entirely clear. ESPN+ is not the same as the ESPN channels through your provider. ESPN+ is something you can subscribe to and get content specifically for ESPN+. Content from the ESPN channels is through your cable/dish/streaming provider. If you want everything, you have need both. (See my previous post for more details.)

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I had Slingtv for a while and at first I thought it was good because of the price drop but after a while I hated it. Interface sucks, streaming reliability sucked, and I had to jump out of the app and onto the antenna for local channels.

It was a giant pain and streaming sucks.
I actually use Sling app for my antenna channels.

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Another question related to this. Roku or Amazon stick? I can buy Roku from Walmart, and sounds pretty easy. Wife has an Amazon account, and could get a firestick. Are they the same thing? Basically a push or one better?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Another question related to this. Roku or Amazon stick? I can buy Roku from Walmart, and sounds pretty easy. Wife has an Amazon account, and could get a firestick. Are they the same thing? Basically a push or one better?

I have never used a Firestick but yeah...they pretty much do the same thing. I really like Roku devices...but I read last night that the Fire Stick 4K is going to be on sale for $25 on Black Friday or Cyper Monday...or some point this November. That is a good deal...and I might pick one up just to mess around with it (especially since Fire Sticks are compatible with YouTube TV now).