Friday OT #2 - On the Road Again

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Pok Pok is great. If you are into craft beer I LOVE Great Notion. They also have fantastic food.

I will totally look up Great Notion! I ideally would like to get into Tasty 'N Alder (or one of the brother spots) or Le Canard to see what all of the fuss is about, but am not sure it is doable. If I can eat great food at Great Notion without having to wait in line for 3 hours, that's AWESOME!

@Angie all your takes on Portland are spot on.

Minneapolis - Hai Hai and Hola Arepa. Two of my favorite restaurants. Just some amazing flavors and I believed owned by the same person.

Let me know if you have any other Portland suggestions! I have some fun stuff we did last time that I wouldn't mind revisiting (we're for sure going to Paxton Gate for souvenirs again, so I wouldn't mind going back to Rimsey-Korsakofee for the "haunted coffee house" experience again). But I want to do some new stuff, too!

I'll add those to our to-do in Minneapolis!

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
- clam chowder in Monterey, CA (can't remember the name of the place; my friend got married there and the rehearsal dinner was incredible)
- BBQ shrimp appetizer at Jack Stack in KC
- Mahi Mahi with mango salsa at Mama's Fish House in Maui
- some hole-in-the-wall Italian place in Little Italy in Boston (don't remember the dish or the name of the place, but the owners sat and drank wine for hours with us while stuffing us with fantastic food)
- steamed pork dumplings at a dim sum place in Chinatown in San Fran (I couldn't read the sign and never figured out the name of the place)

Reactions: Angie

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
NYC. I've been to a lot of places but everywhere we went was great and none of them were expensive.

Roberta's Pizza, Prince Street Pizza, Dominique Ansel Bakery,Juniors (cheescake only), Lucali Pizza,Xi'an Famous Foods

m44Lrr9.jpg

ULSan8U.jpg

5ZXl9kQ.jpg

fu3Mmju.jpg

Y24FKHR.jpg

MrxGzI0.jpg

XC5ariW.jpg

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
And finally. One that was probably overrated-Pittsburgh-Primanti bros. Heard a lot of great things but it was pretty average.

0TGIotb.jpg

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder.... 2121 Clark st. Chicago's north side. Outstanding on every level.

Reactions: drlove

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm really looking forward to getting back to Oregon next week. Spending a few days in Newport after the Oregon State game. Being so close to the ocean everywhere has solid seafood, hell even the hotel offers some pretty good salmon chowder for free in the lobby every night.

Plus there's rogue brewery

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm really looking forward to getting back to Oregon next week. Spending a few days in Newport after the Oregon State game. Being so close to the ocean everywhere has solid seafood, hell even the hotel offers some pretty good salmon chowder for free in the lobby every night.

Plus there's rogue brewery

I'm bummed we're not making the Oregon State game - have fun!

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I will totally look up Great Notion! I ideally would like to get into Tasty 'N Alder (or one of the brother spots) or Le Canard to see what all of the fuss is about, but am not sure it is doable. If I can eat great food at Great Notion without having to wait in line for 3 hours, that's AWESOME!

Let me know if you have any other Portland suggestions! I have some fun stuff we did last time that I wouldn't mind revisiting (we're for sure going to Paxton Gate for souvenirs again, so I wouldn't mind going back to Rimsey-Korsakofee for the "haunted coffee house" experience again). But I want to do some new stuff, too!

I'll add those to our to-do in Minneapolis!
Great Notion specializes in Sours, Hazy IPAs, and delicious stouts and porters. So if any of those are your go to I would definitely check it out. Other Portland spots I have been to are Screen Door for brunch (amazing) and Por Que No for tacos (very good tacos). One place my girlfriend has tried taking me a couple times is Pine State Biscuits. Looks amazing and she claims it is awesome but there has always been a line and we didn't have time.

You won't be disappointed with either of those in Minneapolis!

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Roundtable? I have family in Sacramento that always gets Roundtable. I don't share their enthusiasm. Seems very Domino's/PapaJohns-ish to me. What am I missing?
Maybe your family just lives near a crap Round Table. I don't know what else to tell you other than there is zero comparison to either Domino's or <urk> Papa Johns. Don't like it? Don't eat it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Angie and drlove