Iowa High School Football Playoffs

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
They are talking about going back to 32. If they do they will take 1 game off the regular season and go with 32. I'm hoping they keep it like it is.

Yes. There are multiple forums on iowa preps discussing this. They polled the coaches and something like 85% supported going back to 32 teams qualifying. 4A would find a way to do 24.

I miss the days when there were 8 districts per class with 2 teams from each district making the playoffs. The switch came when I was in highschool and I thought it was stupid. We got to the post season when we shouldn't have my senior year and got our asses kicked in round one.

The current system isnt great, but I prefer it over 32 teams. The RPI system used certainly needs work. Why they dont pay BCMoore and just use those rankings is beyond me.

• Dislike
Reactions: Cytown12

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Yes. There are multiple forums on iowa preps discussing this. They polled the coaches and something like 85% supported going back to 32 teams qualifying. 4A would find a way to do 24.

I miss the days when there were 8 districts per class with 2 teams from each district making the playoffs. The switch came when I was in highschool and I thought it was stupid. We got to the post season when we shouldn't have my senior year and got our asses kicked in round one.

The current system isnt great, but I prefer it over 32 teams. The RPI system used certainly needs work. Why they dont pay BCMoore and just use those rankings is beyond me.

Not sure BCMoore has it all figured out either. I'm a 3A guy, so I looked at those and didn't love them.

8-1 Lewis Central ranked above 9-0 Western Dubuque, who has beaten Xavier and North Scott? 7-2 Harlan ranked over 8-1 North Scott, who's only loss is to WD? 4 different one-loss teams over 9-0 Solon? Iowa City Liberty is 7-2 and ranked 20th behind four 5-4 teams AND a 4-5 team. Oskaloosa is a 6-3 playoff team and they're ranked behind 2-7 Creston.

Seems like they reward teams for simply having a tough schedule, not for actually beating good teams.

Obviously any ranking system based on algorithms is going to have some flaws, but they don't look any better to me than the RPI we have now (which I also don't like).

I'd be happier with a committee of some sort. In high school football, the "eye test" has to mean a little bit.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
A team's RPI is its effective seed.

Hosting a game is simply the result of being 1 of the 8 highest rated district champs. Or, in 4A, a district champ or the highest at-large team.

That's why you would see a #6 playing AT a #9 ... #9 was a district champ, so they get to play at home.

The state probably won't use BCMoore for anything as long as his rankings and formulas include predicted point spreads.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Never in my life have I seen a Linn-Mar playoff football game. And the weather is crappy enough to not bother going...

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Kind of unfortunate that Davenport North tied for its best record in school history (6-3) and was still left out of the playoffs. I get it - there’s not room for every 6-3 team to qualify. It would just be nice if one of these years my old HS, after having a good season, would legitimately make the playoffs (unlike that one year several years back where they won 2 games and still qualified because something like more than half the schools qualified for the playoffs that year).

That really stinks. Poor NHS.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
A team's RPI is its effective seed.

Hosting a game is simply the result of being 1 of the 8 highest rated district champs. Or, in 4A, a district champ or the highest at-large team.

That's why you would see a #6 playing AT a #9 ... #9 was a district champ, so they get to play at home.

The state probably won't use BCMoore for anything as long as his rankings and formulas include predicted point spreads.

Again, just plain stupid.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Never in my life have I seen a Linn-Mar playoff football game. And the weather is crappy enough to not bother going...

30-35 years ago they were a regular.

Actually even 25 years ago (94) they were in the title game vs. City High iirc.

Reactions: wxman1

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah, but who's going to honestly be familiar with 20-30 high school teams to gauge the "eye test?"

They put CR Xavier, Western Dubuque and Lewis Central on the same side of the bracket. I don't pay a ton of attention to 3A and even I know those are probably the top 3 teams in 3A. Whoever put that together is clueless.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Kind of unfortunate that Davenport North tied for its best record in school history (6-3) and was still left out of the playoffs. I get it - there’s not room for every 6-3 team to qualify. It would just be nice if one of these years my old HS, after having a good season, would legitimately make the playoffs (unlike that one year several years back where they won 2 games and still qualified because something like more than half the schools qualified for the playoffs that year).

My alma mater Nevada went 7-2 in 2A but missed the playoffs.

• Informative
Reactions: Macloney

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yeah the Eastern Iowa 3A bracket might have the 3 best teams with Western Dubuque, Xavier and North Scott. The game tonight with North Scott and Xavier could easily have been a semi final game.

Then again, to be State Champ you have to face the best, so can't complain too much

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonenation5

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I stand corrected...checking out the Dike NH game and they're in a tussle.

Panorama has some speed.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Help Support Us

Become a patron