Olde Main closing

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Funny you should mention that, I just got a notice in the mail for the auction for all the Olde Main brewing equipment. He had a bigger brewing system in storage as well...

Yep its on Proxibid. The equipment looks a little rough
I believe it came from Granite City.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I miss being able to go to Olde Main for younger friends' parties. Although I do not drink, I truly enjoyed their root beer. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a root beer like Olde Mains?

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Ames needs a place like Olde Main (or maybe a Barn Town?) where people like me and my wife can go after games and try a variety of craft beers and still have some food. Needs to be in town. I know there are breweries around, but I think Ames is lacking in this area.

A place like Big Grove in Iowa City (the only thing I like about going to IC) would be awesome in downtown Ames.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Ames needs a place like Olde Main (or maybe a Barn Town?) where people like me and my wife can go after games and try a variety of craft beers and still have some food. Needs to be in town. I know there are breweries around, but I think Ames is lacking in this area.

A place like Big Grove in Iowa City (the only thing I like about going to IC) would be awesome in downtown Ames.

Alluvial makes some great beers and Torrent in downtown Ames has been around for a while. Never been there myself, though.

But I'll agree with you on the restaurant/brewery thing. I get why people don't do it, but I like going to places like that.

Reactions: beentherebefore

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Torrent's had some really good beers the last few times I've stopped in. Alluvial might overshadow them, but it's a very worthy stop and great amenity for downtown Ames.
Good to know. I guess I need to simply go a block or two north and not limit myself to Main Street and Duff Av. We like places that brew beer and serve a full range of food. Maybe that is not a good business model anymore.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I miss being able to go to Olde Main for younger friends' parties. Although I do not drink, I truly enjoyed their root beer. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a root beer like Olde Mains?
I never had Olde Main's root beer, but I really like Torrent Brewing's root beer.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Good to know. I guess I need to simply go a block or two north and not limit myself to Main Street and Duff Av. We like places that brew beer and serve a full range of food. Maybe that is not a good business model anymore.

It seems that way to me. It really depends on your resources. You need people dedicated to beer completely and people dedicated to food completely if you want it to work.

If you can't do that, you're best to stick to beer.

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I never had Olde Main's root beer, but I really like Torrent Brewing's root beer.
I don't know if I have ever had olde main's rootbeer straight, but I for sure did my share of monkey bombs.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Whiskey River's owners bought it.
Good for them. I'm assuming they don't currently own their building so that'll be a nice way to build a little equity and pay rent to themselves. Take one competitor off the map and they've slowly built a little empire.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Great news. These are excellent owners (opposite of the previous ones).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron