Oddly Specific Things You Would Want To Go Back In Time To Witness or Be A Part Of

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Ride on the Titanic but survive the wreck.

Watch the definitely not faked moon landing on live tv.

Invention of fire.

Watch the lab techs blow up Chernobyl but again survive.

Sit in White House mission command and watch/listen to the Bin Laden raid.

Wilt Chamberlain vs short white dudes in the 100 point game.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Right, but they all were written several years after the fact, and there's significant debate, even among religious scholars, on if they were actually written by the disciples themselves or people they gave accounts to.

I certainly acknowledge that there is significant debate on the issue. My comment was to provide a counter-point to the prior poster who stated it very matter-of-fact, as if there was no other opinion. I know debating anything of faith or religion is a "no no" outside of the cave, so I will simply leave a link here to a video I feel is applicable on the matter & then I'll be done: link.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Similar to @cyclones500.

Any of the Beatles' Cavern shows.

And very specifically, the second weekend of Ed Sullivan appearances live from the Deauville Hotel in Miami Beach. They had several days and did some interesting things. Would have been cool to bump into the Fabs in a warm winter environment they'd never experienced before at the height of Beatlemania in the US.

Also one day break during their '64 tour they went to a 'Dude Ranch' in southern Missouri and rode horses and hung out for the day. Similar to above.

The other is Feb 2, 1959, Clear Lake IA

For ISU specific, The Armory January 14th 1957

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
July 2nd, 1863 Gettysburg, PA with the 20th Maine. I want to hear Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain say, "Fix bayonets, CHARGE!" Stopping the rebel assault on Little Round Top. IMO this saved the US as we know it. #iamanerd

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I would say "at the discovery of fire" but half of you people (or more) think I was already there.

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I'd like to go back to 1850-ish, when my great-great-great grandfather and family moved to the Madison-Warren county area. See what they were like, how they made things work, helping build St. Patrick's and what the area was like then. Just go for a week or two, meet them and see what it was like. Still have tons of family right in that area.

kcbob79clone

Different Matthew, different John. The Gospels were written between 66 and 110 AD, with Matthew written around 85-90 AD and John 90-110 AD. So no, they were not first hand accounts, but 2+ generations removed.

In fear of being sent to the cave, Matthew was first written in Aramaic by the Apostle then rewritten in Greek. Why it is list first in the Gospels.

• Friendly
Reactions: exCyDing
D

Deleted member 8507

could you be more specific please? Like I want to go back and see the first time one of the tracks to lug those stones up to the pyramid broke and a cart holding a giant stone is running down a ramp at high speed.
Aliens built the pyramids . . . .

• Agree
Reactions: mapnerd

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Two more. To be at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid to see the U.S. beat the Soviet Union would have been pretty epic.

Or to be there when **** Fosbury won the high jump gold medal jumping over the bar backwards.

There are many iconic sports moments that would have been pretty awesome to have seen live. Most aren't "oddly specific" so I won't list any more.

nickoff

Oct 14, 2017
Portland, OR
Feb 22 1980. Lake Placid NY. Sitting 4 rows behind the USA bench and watching the game in all its glory.
I can't image how awesome it would have been to be at that game.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Ride on the Titanic but survive the wreck.

Watch the definitely not faked moon landing on live tv.

Invention of fire.

Watch the lab techs blow up Chernobyl but again survive.

Sit in White House mission command and watch/listen to the Bin Laden raid.

Wilt Chamberlain vs short white dudes in the 100 point game.
Regarding take down of UBL I would have love to have been a Tier 1 operator on that mission.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Similar to @cyclones500.

Any of the Beatles' Cavern shows.

And very specifically, the second weekend of Ed Sullivan appearances live from the Deauville Hotel in Miami Beach. They had several days and did some interesting things. Would have been cool to bump into the Fabs in a warm winter environment they'd never experienced before at the height of Beatlemania in the US.

Also one day break during their '64 tour they went to a 'Dude Ranch' in southern Missouri and rode horses and hung out for the day. Similar to above.

The other is Feb 2, 1959, Clear Lake IA

For ISU specific, The Armory January 14th 1957

Beatles-wise, seeing the Candlestick Park show in '66. (And of course, "Let it Be" rooftop, from the street).