Friday OT #2 - On the Road Again

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
We have! We went to the old-school downtown one and waited in line. It was really good - but TBH, I preferred Blue Star Donuts. The Voodoo ones are more fun (I couldn't get Janny to eat a weiner-shaped one), but the Blue Star ones have better flavors.

well, if you ever go to the other Portland, the Holy Donut is a must. They are potato donuts.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This is our second time this year, just because we love it! I've got Ken's written down on my itinerary for sure! We're trying to see if we can get away for a while one day - we have tickets to the Trailblazers game next Friday night, so that limits our availability to leave town that day, but we have vouchers for a future trip somewhere... so I wouldn't be surprised if we make it back soon!
Last time I was in Portland, we stopped by an Octoberfest beer garden in town and unbeknownst to me, the Gorillaz were having a show in the TBlazers arena. Pretty bummed I missed out on that.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
well, if you ever go to the other Portland, the Holy Donut is a must. They are potato donuts.

We have family out there, so we need to get out there some time soon. I have never had a potato donut, but am now fascinated. I feel like it is our obligation to try any donut life hands us!

Last time I was in Portland, we stopped by an Octoberfest beer garden in town and unbeknownst to me, the Gorillaz were having a show in the TBlazers arena. Pretty bummed I missed out on that.

I am SO jealous. Freaking Post Malone is going to be at Moda next weekend, so we won't be making that show.

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We have driven the 101 from Rockaway all the way up into Washington by Olympic Natl Park and have also driven east of Portland along the river.
Wife really liked the 101 drive (and she isn't even a Goonies fan) and I liked the river valley. Lots of waterfalls/wineries/breweries.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
A couple of places: The Maine Diner!...... The lobster Mac and cheese was the best. http://mainediner.com/.... and then this little hotel in Paraguay (forgot it's name) had the best alfredo and garlic bread. It was run by Germans, and I didn't realize it at the time, but it was probably owned by a Nazi refugee.

Last edited:

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
We have! We went to the old-school downtown one and waited in line. It was really good - but TBH, I preferred Blue Star Donuts. The Voodoo ones are more fun (I couldn't get Janny to eat a weiner-shaped one), but the Blue Star ones have better flavors.

Edit to add: MENU

My niece lives in Portland and seconds your assessment that Blue Star > Voodoo.

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My niece lives in Portland and seconds your assessment that Blue Star > Voodoo.

I'm so glad to hear a local agrees! I want to try "Delicious Donuts" this time, too, as I've heard it's the dark horse.

In terms of Portland ice cream, Salt + Straw > Ruby Jewel.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I miss Round Table Pizza on the west coast. Wish I could have it whenever I wanted it. It's waaaaay expensive, but I still like it.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I miss Round Table Pizza on the west coast. Wish I could have it whenever I wanted it. It's waaaaay expensive, but I still like it.
Roundtable? I have family in Sacramento that always gets Roundtable. I don't share their enthusiasm. Seems very Domino's/PapaJohns-ish to me. What am I missing?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
@Mr Janny and I are going to Portland next week, and we are both excited to get some Vietnamese wings at Pok Pok. That magic looks like this:

View attachment 68127

Have you encountered any "holy crap, I wish I lived there so I could have this food every day" meals while traveling? What are they, and where?

(Bookmarking this thread for future trips...)
Pok Pok is great. If you are into craft beer I LOVE Great Notion. They also have fantastic food.

• Friendly

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
@Angie all your takes on Portland are spot on.

Minneapolis - Hai Hai and Hola Arepa. Two of my favorite restaurants. Just some amazing flavors and I believe owned by the same person.

Last edited:
  • Friendly

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
When I head up North to the BWCA, there are a couple of spots I try to hit.
Pizza Luce in Duluth.
Angry Trout in Grand Marais
Betty's Pies near Two Harbors.
Ely Steakhouse (Bucky Burger is my favorite).
Coho Cafe near Tofte.