NCAA rules in favor of profit for athlete's "likeness"

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Wouldn't the best prospective college players just choose to walk on at the schools that best provide endorsements for them? They'd be a free agent every year and the schools might not need to count them against scholarships...schools will want to put together the best packages possible and these kids would sign late with no signing day to worry about. But even Nike won't be able to field a successful team of players that don't sign until camp starts and changes every year.

Seems to me, the number of players that this ruling would significantly impact in that way will be small and the practical effect is that some good kids that the fans of their schools appreciate will be able to make some minor money just for being themselves.

I don't believe this is going to change much of anything really.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I wonder once this is all settled and the lines are drawn, if someone in Jeremy Bloom's situation would be able to receive endorsements for skiing, while still playing football. I assume they would. That was always a BS situation in my mind (maybe they already can and I missed it).

And the kicker that made money off athletic videos on youtube. I would assume that would now be fine.

• Agree

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
One example I heard this morning was that this would allow players to be compensated for lessons, which would really help some of these "lower-profile" athletes, such as those involved in golf or tennis.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I’m torn on this. If someone is marketable as a personality I think they should be able to profit from that and the NCAA shouldn’t be able to stop them. I also think this opens the door to a lot of issues, and teams with a national brand or large following will separate themselves from the rest of the pack even more.

I also wonder how much under the table money will flow from the athletic departments to donors, so the donors can hire athletes.

• Agree

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Might be time to update your prescription.
I get it, you stand on one side of this and have made that VERY apparent. But stop being a condescending **** canoe to everyone who may have a different opinion with some valid concerns. It could turn out none of these concerns are warranted and you are absolutely right about everything. However, we have zero idea how this is going to play out. Is it the end of college sports? No. But I think people are just uneasy about a big change and not knowing how things will turn out. Hopefully this actually helps to level the playing field even more because maybe we get a 5-star kid that a donor/business decide to sink some serious money behind doing some promotion for the business (have to see if the NCAA caps the amount a player can get). That 5-star who wouldn't have even looked at ISU in the past now has a choice of, "Do I go to Ohio State and get paid, but I may not even play since there are 3-4 other 5-stars at my position. OR I can go to Iowa State, get paid and actually play right away and make a difference." If this becomes a kind of free for all race, you basically put money toward 5-star QBs and both offensive and defensive linemen. You get those positions right and you can win big in college football.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The way this should be done, to allow for control and introduce severe risk to those paying:
  • Anyone that wants to pay athletes in any capacity has to register with the NCAA and/or school they support to enable the payments. This costs money, some of which goes to the school.
  • All payments are routed through the school to the player, earmarked and documented heavily. This may be taxable. A cut of it again goes to the school.
  • Players cannot receive money before signing LOI with a school, or else they're ineligible.
  • Any payments found under the table ban the entity paying from future NCAA activity indefinitely, player is ruled ineligible, school is penalized (heavily).
  • Players cannot be employed by any entity that registered as an endorser, or any entity found within a reasonable relationship of an endorser (this could be subject to NCAA investigation to prove if it is a real employment relationship or not).
  • Any legal payment made is completely-guaranteed and non-refundable, also cannot be stipulated against performance in-game.
  • 2 options: either all payments received are kept in a fund until the player leaves college, or they are paid out immediately and the player forfeits his scholarship benefits (but is still counted against the cap).
  • Any player who receives money is counted as a scholarship player, period. No walking-on and getting paid to do so.
  • All payments are tracked and made public. Player, entity paying, school, everything. Offers wouldn't need to be, but any accepted payment would be.
  • Players are not required to, but can hire agents (who also register with the NCAA and/or school) to assist them.
  • Schools themselves cannot pay players, agents, or other entities; they may only be a middleman and auditor of someone else's transactions. Schools founds filling a greater role than that are subject to severe punishment. This also applies to private schools (including public payments), and non-compliance is subject to punishment or removal from the NCAA.
Think of how much power and control the NCAA could reclaim with rules like this, instead of operating more in their currently-useless state we all know and love. I'm sure they'll f*** it up and let it run rampant and largely unchecked, but look at all of the possibilities they have with this project.

Oh, and finally: all pro leagues get rid of their draft restrictions that are pushing these kids to college in the first place.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The way this should be done, to allow for control and introduce severe risk to those paying:
  • Anyone that wants to pay athletes in any capacity has to register with the NCAA and/or school they support to enable the payments. This costs money, some of which goes to the school.
  • All payments are routed through the school to the player, earmarked and documented heavily. This may be taxable. A cut of it again goes to the school.
  • Players cannot receive money before signing LOI with a school, or else they're ineligible.
  • Any payments found under the table ban the entity paying from future NCAA activity indefinitely, player is ruled ineligible, school is penalized (heavily).
  • Players cannot be employed by any entity that registered as an endorser, or any entity found within a reasonable relationship of an endorser (this could be subject to NCAA investigation to prove if it is a real employment relationship or not).
  • Any legal payment made is completely-guaranteed and non-refundable, also cannot be stipulated against performance in-game.
  • 2 options: either all payments received are kept in a fund until the player leaves college, or they are paid out immediately and the player forfeits his scholarship benefits (but is still counted against the cap).
  • Any player who receives money is counted as a scholarship player, period. No walking-on and getting paid to do so.
  • All payments are tracked and made public. Player, entity paying, school, everything. Offers wouldn't need to be, but any accepted payment would be.
  • Players are not required to, but can hire agents (who also register with the NCAA and/or school) to assist them.
  • Schools themselves cannot pay players, agents, or other entities; they may only be a middleman and auditor of someone else's transactions. Schools founds filling a greater role than that are subject to severe punishment. This also applies to private schools (including public payments), and non-compliance is subject to punishment or removal from the NCAA.
Think of how much power and control the NCAA could reclaim with rules like this, instead of operating more in their currently-useless state we all know and love. I'm sure they'll f*** it up and let it run rampant and largely unchecked, but look at all of the possibilities they have with this project.

Oh, and finally: all pro leagues get rid of their draft restrictions that are pushing these kids to college in the first place.
Is your wife a compliance person at a university that you're trying to keep in business? That sounds complicated as ****.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Is your wife a compliance person at a university that you're trying to keep in business? That sounds complicated as ****.
Just because it's long doesn't make it complicated. It looks pretty straightforward to me, other than the NCAA filling in the actual limits and punishments. It does need expanded on, but the framework is there.

Hell, take out every place I said "and/or School" and practically all of this lies with the NCAA, not the schools. Their role would be reduced down to basically accounting. Ideally, the NCAA creates larger teams to handle investigations and inquiries for the schools.

I don't personally care if kids get paid or not, but I thought I'd lay out a happy-medium scenario where payments exist but controls for recruiting are also in place, plus giving the NCAA back the power to effectively punish cheaters...which they really don't seem to have/exercise in current state.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
How long before boosters decrease their donations and just give it directly to the players?
How long before Nike, Adidas,UA all pull their money away from supplying the teams and going to individuals. There are 110 on a roster in football. 100 will likely see nothing.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Sounds to me like the money is going to get spread around a bit more and going to the people doing the work. How is this bad again?

There are definitely good aspects of it, and as I said before, additional compensation for players in revenue sports, opportunities for athletes in other sports to be able to work providing lessons, etc. is long overdue.

Obviously I have selfish concerns of how this impacts ISU sports, particularly football in terms of competitiveness. Directly related to that I see a potential for this to kill the goose laying the golden eggs if it is not regulated well.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I get it, you stand on one side of this and have made that VERY apparent. But stop being a condescending **** canoe to everyone who may have a different opinion with some valid concerns. It could turn out none of these concerns are warranted and you are absolutely right about everything. However, we have zero idea how this is going to play out. Is it the end of college sports? No. But I think people are just uneasy about a big change and not knowing how things will turn out. Hopefully this actually helps to level the playing field even more because maybe we get a 5-star kid that a donor/business decide to sink some serious money behind doing some promotion for the business (have to see if the NCAA caps the amount a player can get). That 5-star who wouldn't have even looked at ISU in the past now has a choice of, "Do I go to Ohio State and get paid, but I may not even play since there are 3-4 other 5-stars at my position. OR I can go to Iowa State, get paid and actually play right away and make a difference." If this becomes a kind of free for all race, you basically put money toward 5-star QBs and both offensive and defensive linemen. You get those positions right and you can win big in college football.
Totally agree with your first part. It’s fine to have a side but to continually be condescending towards others that dont agree with you or even just have questions about it is so annoying. But hey that’s how pretty much all the politics threads on this board go so I should be used to it

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I like a lot of this, but the "fully guranteed" part would need some sort of "don't get arrested" personal conduct clause.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I think this ultimately ends up being a negative for ISU but willing to keep an open mind how it all plays out. I don’t feel like the “you'll make more money being a star at ISU than you will being a bench guy at Bama” pitch will work very well because the bigger schools will promise all sorts of things to get them on campus. How many times do we try to talk ourselves into a big time recruit coming here where he will be a legend in Ames as opposed to just another guy at a blue blood and it rarely ever works out. This is pretty much the same thing

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I like a lot of this, but the "fully guranteed" part would need some sort of "don't get arrested" personal conduct clause.
I still think in that event, the money would just be forfeited to the University. I intentionally wanted this process to incur risk, so that people wanting to endorse players had to give some serious consideration to it. It's effectively a donation... there should be no expectation of ever seeing that money again.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Honestly these are all great ideas.

• Friendly
Reactions: MeowingCows

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Sounds good to me. Except I think that the NFL giving up their free farm system is a non-starter. Maybe they successfully get the restriction dropped from three years to two or they install some sort of waiver system for guys who are clearly ready to make the leap as eighteen or nineteen year olds, but completely dropping the restrictions is not going to happen there.
The one and done rule in basketball is on its way out already so that shouldn't be a big deal. I don't follow baseball all that closely so I'm not sure how dropping the turn pro or commit to three years in college restriction would impact MLB.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
How long before Nike, Adidas,UA all pull their money away from supplying the teams and going to individuals. There are 110 on a roster in football. 100 will likely see nothing.
Why would that happen, though? Those companies are paying for the exposure they get from schools wearing their gear.
Gatorade has endorsements with plenty of pro players but still sponsors teams as well.

And the conflict of interest that some have brought up is a non starter as well. Brock Purdy might sign with Adidas, but he's not going to be allowed to wear their gear on game day. He's going to have to wear the gear that the school is contractually obligated to wear. It's as simple as that. This is something that comes up in the pros, and it's not really a problem.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I think you're going to see a fight over your second point. Funnelling the money through the NCAA is going to be a big point of contention going forward. It's creating a middle man that exists only for the purposes of control. The NCAA is going to push for it, though

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Sounds good to me. Except I think that the NFL giving up their free farm system is a non-starter. Maybe they successfully get the restriction dropped from three years to two or they install some sort of waiver system for guys who are clearly ready to make the leap as eighteen or nineteen year olds, but completely dropping the restrictions is not going to happen there.
The one and done rule in basketball is on its way out already so that shouldn't be a big deal. I don't follow baseball all that closely so I'm not sure how dropping the turn pro or commit to three years in college restriction would impact MLB.
I agree that the NFL will fight back on that, but I think in the balance/interest of Universities being places of education, you'd still have to fight them on it. I totally understand how overly-idealistic that sounds.
I think you're going to see a fight over your second point. Funnelling the money through the NCAA is going to be a big point of contention going forward. It's creating a middle man that exists only for the purposes of control. The NCAA is going to push for it, though
Again, in the effort of establishing balance, I think it's a necessary evil of the system. I don't really like it, but I tried to set it up to be as transparent as reasonably possible.