OU Football Fan Dies After Suffering Heart Attack at K-State Game

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We saw a ISU fan after a K-State game here in Ames die of a heart attack. This was about 15 years ago. Happened on the corner for South 4th and Beach. Guy driving a truck just pulled over and the passenger looked passed out drunk. All of the sudden here come the PD on bikes, they do a pulse check on his neck. Cop cuts the seat belt off. The guy had to be 300 lbs. This was happening as the crowd was leaving. They were doing chest compressions on the guy until the ambulance showed up. By that time they had cut his shirt off and was purple looking. Gal next to me was a cardiac at nurse and she stated "he's gone". Kinda tough when you have young kids with you seeing this all transpire.

Guy was from the Carroll area we learned later.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Seems like there was an opposing fan die of a heart attack at Jack Trice 6-8 years ago. It seems the family of the man that passed reached out to our athletic dept to try to thank the fans that helped.

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
We saw a ISU fan after a K-State game here in Ames die of a heart attack. This was about 15 years ago. Happened on the corner for South 4th and Beach. Guy driving a truck just pulled over and the passenger looked passed out drunk. All of the sudden here come the PD on bikes, they do a pulse check on his neck. Cop cuts the seat belt off. The guy had to be 300 lbs. This was happening as the crowd was leaving. They were doing chest compressions on the guy until the ambulance showed up. By that time they had cut his shirt off and was purple looking. Gal next to me was a cardiac at nurse and she stated "he's gone". Kinda tough when you have young kids with you seeing this all transpire.

Guy was from the Carroll area we learned later.
Yeah we saw that one, terrible to have to witness.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often. Watching athletics makes my heart pump more than it's supposed to

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often. Watching athletics makes my heart pump more than it's supposed to
Getting 60,000 people moving around and getting excited the law of averages says it is going to happen eventually. Just like when you get 15-20,000 people doing what is for many of them the most athletic activity they will do in the entire year on RAGBRAI. Stress enough bodies and every once in a while a body is going to fail.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I kid around about it happening to me, but seriously, it can happen to anyone. I've learned to deflect the seriousness of it. Modern fanatics have alternatives to losing (eg Lazard despite being a Bears fan, Fantasy football meaning much interest in other teams, tape delayed viewing allowing me to ignore the frustration, playing sports allows built up anxiety out). We did not have most of these when I was a child. So the world is evening out a bit. I feel horribly for those who've passed. Prayers to them and warnings to those who are not anticipating the possibility of it happening to you.