Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I know he has always been a Star Wars nerd, so I've always considered this a strong possibility. With that said, I'm looking forward to see what he can bring to the Star War Universe. I just hope he doesn't stretch himself too thin.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I know he has always been a Star Wars nerd, so I've always considered this a strong possibility. With that said, I'm looking forward to see what he can bring to the Star War Universe. I just hope he doesn't stretch himself too thin.

I'm looking forward to it. Disney needs to get SW back on track.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm looking forward to it. Disney needs to get SW back on track.

I agree. Its hard to be super optimistic about the future as long as Kathleen Kennedy remains at the helm and Rian Johnson still is in charge of a future trilogy. However, there is at least some recent positivity to be felt at least with The Mandalorian and all the recent D23 announcements. How they still have not taken Rian Johnson out of the picture completely baffles me. I don't care if you hate The Last Jedi or completely adore it, one thing that is UNDENIABLE is how much it has divided and polarized the fan base. Therefore, why keep anything related to that negativity around? Its just stupid, unneeded, and not worth it, regardless of how much Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson seem to love one another. I get it Kathleen, Rian is pretty much the ONLY director of yours you haven't had run-ins with. Maybe there is a bit of a YOU problem going on here you need to work through rather than clinging to the one director who likes to work with you.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: titleist

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
Still looks great. I was holding out hope the mandalorian wouldn't talk, but then you wouldn't cast Pedro Pascal.

I think the Dewbacks confirm Tatooine. Think we will see anyone familiar?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
If I were a Lucasfilm executive, I'd feel embarrassed that they passed you over. Star Wars seemed like the rebound phase for B&W going between relationships.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Still looks great. I was holding out hope the mandalorian wouldn't talk, but then you wouldn't cast Pedro Pascal.

I think the Dewbacks confirm Tatooine. Think we will see anyone familiar?

It was talked about on reddit but it seems like there is a flashback to the siege of mandalore. Which could mean glimpses of Maul or Ahsoka. I would lose my mind if I finally get to see live action Ahsoka Tano.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad and SCNCY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If I were a Lucasfilm executive, I'd feel embarrassed that they passed you over. Star Wars seemed like the rebound phase for B&W going between relationships.
I'm sure Disney execs are drying their eyes with their 100s of billions of dollars.

Benioff and Weiss got an enormous contract from Netflix. When that happened everyone wondered how they were going to serve 2 masters and now we know. Disney and Netflix are essentially at war now, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were getting pressure from both sides to choose one or the other.

Disney doesn't need them and frankly after seeing how GoT went after B&W got beyond the source material I'm not sure Disney isn't better off without them. Clears the way for Feige to take creative control over the next trilogy. I don't think it's a coincidence the initial announcement of B&W contract with Netflix and Feige's involvement with Star Wars happened at almost the same time.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I'm sure Disney execs are drying their eyes with their 100s of billions of dollars.

Benioff and Weiss got an enormous contract from Netflix. When that happened everyone wondered how they were going to serve 2 masters and now we know. Disney and Netflix are essentially at war now, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were getting pressure from both sides to choose one or the other.

Disney doesn't need them and frankly after seeing how GoT went after B&W got beyond the source material I'm not sure Disney isn't better off without them. Clears the way for Feige to take creative control over the next trilogy. I don't think it's a coincidence the initial announcement of B&W contract with Netflix and Feige's involvement with Star Wars happened at almost the same time.

I get your points and they are valid. I guess the way I am looking at it is that Lucas film got B&W in a contract early so they wouldn't get in to a bidding war with other studios, which is what happened. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but Lucasfilm wanted to put out a new trilogy with the first movie in theaters in 2022. This news could push that back a year or more depending on how much work has been done on the new trilogy.

With the way Game of Thrones ended, it may be a good idea for them to do something else. I thought I read the B&W were getting tired of Game of Thrones and star wars would probably similar situation as their freedom is somewhat restrained to the star wars universe. Netflix will let them do what ever they want from a story/universe perspective.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I get your points and they are valid. I guess the way I am looking at it is that Lucas film got B&W in a contract early so they wouldn't get in to a bidding war with other studios, which is what happened. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but Lucasfilm wanted to put out a new trilogy with the first movie in theaters in 2022. This news could push that back a year or more depending on how much work has been done on the new trilogy.

With the way Game of Thrones ended, it may be a good idea for them to do something else. I thought I read the B&W were getting tired of Game of Thrones and star wars would probably similar situation as their freedom is somewhat restrained to the star wars universe. Netflix will let them do what ever they want from a story/universe perspective.
If they were going to release a movie December 2022 that's over 3 years from now. I dont think they would have any trouble meeting that date. It's not like this is new news to them. I'm sure everyone involved knew which way the wind was blowing for months now.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Benioff and Weiss were at a panel at the Austin Film Festival this past weekend, which marked their first Q&A appearance since the finale of GOT, and their comments are getting torn apart. I appreciate their candor, but it really explains why the series ended the way it did & it makes me thankful that they won't be adding to the Star Wars universe:

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Benioff and Weiss were at a panel at the Austin Film Festival this past weekend, which marked their first Q&A appearance since the finale of GOT, and their comments are getting torn apart. I appreciate their candor, but it really explains why the series ended the way it did & it makes me thankful that they won't be adding to the Star Wars universe:

Sorry, not on topic, but oh my god. That explains everything about why I disliked how the series ended. They didn't even attempt to stick with most of the themes and ideas of the books after the source material was exhausted. It could have been so much more...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sorry, not on topic, but oh my god. That explains everything about why I disliked how the series ended. They didn't even attempt to stick with most of the themes and ideas of the books after the source material was exhausted. It could have been so much more...

I actually think Arya's story is the one that would have match Tolkien, I mean Martin's, story. She Bilbo'd out of Westeros to the west up after her role in the story was over the same as he did. The guy changed his freaking name. It would be like if my name was Dan Jackson and I changed my name to Dan Lucas Jackson because I was that big of a Star Wars fan.

The rest of it and the overall writing quality...oh yeah that all makes perfect sense. If Maise Williams really did write her own ending she did a better job than some of the other actors.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

They might not have wanted to deal with another absurd fan base either. I feel better with Feige at the helm than basically any individual director or creator other than Dave Filoni. Filoni has a couple of directing credits on the Mandalorian, I am sincerely hoping this is setting the stage for his own trilogy.

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
p7dgnc0ruwfpirrwgcrd.jpg

v49dam1p4lddksjjzojg.jpg

Reactions: NorthCyd

titleist

Dec 31, 2008
Ames
I trust Jon Favreau with this series. It could be Iron Man in the Star Wars universe which should be awesome.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Might as well be a movie trailer. The huge budget on this thing is clearly visible.

I’m setting my expectations a bit lower. The casting is not overly impressive and is very reminiscent of what you would see on AMC or FX. I don’t think it’s bad casting, but its definitely not on the scale that HBO has been putting together lately. This is likely (or hopefully) due to the special effects budget.
I’m also expecting a slow burn at times: not every episode can have a space battle or large-scale shoot-out. I think this needs to be compared to a show like Netflix’s Daredevil S1.