JTS - Music vs. The Crowd

craptacular9

Apr 17, 2014
Warning - 40ish man complaining about loud music ahead.

There are times when the sound system plays over the top of the crowd noise to the determent of the atmosphere. During the 2nd half on Saturday (I believe it was after we had tied the score) the crowd broke into a "Cyclone Power" chant during a TV timeout. However, before too long the music was cranked and the chant quickly died. By the time the game resumed the crowd was quiet again. This isn't the first time I've noticed it this season.

I understand that the music is also for the players. In general, I think the game day atmosphere inside JTS has improved significantly, and the additions of the scoreboard and sound system are part of the reason. If you don't love "Juicy Wiggle" after a 3rd quarter TD, you're probably a closet Hawk fan. However, whoever is in charge of the sound system needs to learn to "read the room" and occasionally just let the crowd do the work.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
The sound system control has been awful all year. The first game was awful, next few were ok, and saturday's was awful again. They played the music a minute early and played over the ISFBVMB's pre-game performance. At times it would also make you go deaf and then the next time you could barely hear it.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I agree. Made this exact comment during the chant. For some reason the sound operator believes that cranking the music to the point of distortion is somehow good. I’ve been a professional musician for 40+ years. Just because the volume goes up to 10 on my amp doesn’t mean I should set it there.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
The sound system control has been awful all year. The first game was awful, next few were ok, and saturday's was awful again. They played the music a minute early and played over the ISFBVMB's pre-game performance. At times it would also make you go deaf and then the next time you could barely hear it.

I mean I'd rather hear the music that is playing on the sound system anyway

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
None of this touches Saturday's battle of the bands between the CVMB, Alumni band, and OSU band. LOl it was so annoying.

What I noticed was the rudeness of the OSU band. When they are making the Kid Captain announcement about this teenager that beat cancer, then had the cancer return, and is now treating for it again, I never heard it at all because the OSU band played through the whole thing. My daughter listened very intently and was able to make out the Kid Captain story. Then when we did the Military Hero of the Game, there was the OSU band playing through the whole thing. Extremely discourteous! Even Boomer Sooner band is less obnoxious, and they are very, very obnoxious.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sound at the games is a balance theyre always having to mess with simply because all of the speakers are in one location as opposed to distributed around the stadium. With that being the case you inevitably have some who will think it too loud, and some not loud enough and there's no real way of getting it perfect for everyone. I imagine it is worse in the upper deck being closer to the level of the speakers I've noticed it go both ways though, with the board being turned down too much the week after some people were complaining on one of the message boards and emailing the AD.

CycloneTJS

Jan 29, 2009
Cedar Rapids
I'm guessing the loud volume is to help make up for the dead silence also known as the South End Zone (SEZ).......I appreciate their financial support for the University, but, just stay home if you want to sit inside and drink $10 beers and watch a game on TV....

• Dislike
Reactions: CyBobby and Lineup

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I agree. Made this exact comment during the chant. For some reason the sound operator believes that cranking the music to the point of distortion is somehow good. I’ve been a professional musician for 40+ years. Just because the volume goes up to 10 on my amp doesn’t mean I should set it there.
You're right, it shouldn't be set to 10. You should have it at 11. Where can you go from there?
Spinal-Tap-Up-To-11-Featured.jpg

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah at the TCU game it reminded me of times when I've been in a bar and somebody will even be just playing some acoustic covers in the back corner, but it's turned way up to a point where it's not enjoyable to even listen to.

craptacular9

Apr 17, 2014
Sound at the games is a balance theyre always having to mess with simply because all of the speakers are in one location as opposed to distributed around the stadium. With that being the case you inevitably have some who will think it too loud, and some not loud enough and there's no real way of getting it perfect for everyone. I imagine it is worse in the upper deck being closer to the level of the speakers I've noticed it go both ways though, with the board being turned down too much the week after some people were complaining on one of the message boards and emailing the AD.

I try not to be the "it's too loud" guy - it makes me feel older than I am. My bigger issue is the timing. In an ideal setting the crowd would be so loud that you wouldn't need music, but that's just not realistic. Just don't drown out the crowd.

Help Support Us

Become a patron