What is our offense

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
The same goes for what is our defense? We have 3 guys tight together over the ball, and everyone else is back 10 yards
We beg people to run the outside, AND they do.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I’m kind of confused. Some games we seem like a power running game and some games we seem to fling it all over. Like we have no identity. We will be fine. Hopefully Brock gets back on track next game
We lost an NFL running back and an NFL wide receiver. And everyone we play had a year to view and plan against Purdy.

This is a transition year. We will go to a bowl game, and then be better next year.

• Optimistic
Reactions: RezClone and Spanky

nickoff

Oct 14, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm having a hard time understanding how week after week we watch ISU go for broke when they just need 3 yards, or all of the sudden shift into some weird formation and jack around with longer developing plays when they've found a rhythm and success by simply putting the ball into playmakers' hands.

Jones, Pettway, Kolar, Akers, Purdy and Hall are all very capable of getting the ball and creating their own space. Why not give them that opportunity?

I'm starting to think it is the "we are only using these plays this week" thing. Today seemed like we had the "go for broke" play book plays on tap. When we shoulda switched to grind it out, short yards run mode, we couldn't because those weren't in the list today.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
In my lifetime, I don’t think Iowa State has ever had an identity on offense. Not once. Yet it seems like our coaching staff is so devoted to “establishing an identity” that they are not willing to change things up when it’s not working. Why can’t our identity be being a balanced offense? Because that’s the one thing that has very clearly worked this year and yet we abandon it

it’s a little weird when the coach comes out and says “we want to be more balanced, I thought we would be more balanced”...so like what exactly is stopping you dude?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We lost an NFL running back and an NFL wide receiver. And everyone we play had a year to view and plan against Purdy.

This is a transition year. We will go to a bowl game, and then be better next year.

Really? You do realize this happens to every team in the country every year, right? They lose valuable impact players. That is just an excuse.

Next year we won't have Meeker, Good-Jones, Knipfel, Collin Olson, Lima, Spears, Leo, Jamahl Johnson, Deshaunte Jones, Pettway, and possibly Bailey (I assume he'll take a RS though).

We have the talent and potential to be really good this year IMO, but as most are saying, we just lose too many games in the margins and the details. If those things don't change, next year won't be any better either.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
If teams are going to go ISU on defense by dropping 7-8 guys, the thing that seems to kill us on defense is the QB running when there is nobody open. We got a guy that can do it, but he is determined to be a pocket passer. I get it but would be nice to see him scramble more. Dumping it off to backs more will help too.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
it’s a little weird when the coach comes out and says “we want to be more balanced, I thought we would be more balanced”...so like what exactly is stopping you dude?

Last I checked, he was the head coach, right?

Tonight, tomorrow, and the rest of this week will be too late to fix the unbalanced offense we had today that lost us the game we needed to win. If we're not being balanced during the game like you would like to see, then you make the adjustments during the game to fix that and give you the shot at winning the game. You are ultimately in charge. You make all the money bro.

Tonight is too late to go back and see why you weren't being balanced. The game is over. The chance you had to win it is long gone now. Great teams make the adjustments that are needed DURING the game.... not coming to the postgame press conference after the game wondering why your offense wasn't more balanced??

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Really? You do realize this happens to every team in the country every year, right? They lose valuable impact players. That is just an excuse.

Next year we won't have Meeker, Good-Jones, Knipfel, Collin Olson, Lima, Spears, Leo, Jamahl Johnson, Deshaunte Jones, Pettway, and possibly Bailey (I assume he'll take a RS though).

We have the talent and potential to be really good this year IMO, but as most are saying, we just lose too many games in the margins and the details. If those things don't change, next year won't be any better either.
I'll be honest. I can't truly disagree with you. I am really disappointed. Especially with our special team play. IDK if that is coaching or talent level or both.

But think about it this way. Last year we had lightning in a bottle with a defensive scheme that was still new, an athletic QB that no one had coached against, and an NFL RB and WR.

This year, the O-line is playing better (in general) but all the rest of it is gone.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and RezClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'll be honest. I can't truly disagree with you. I am really disappointed. Especially with our special team play. IDK if that is coaching or talent level or both.

But think about it this way. Last year we had lightning in a bottle with a defensive scheme that was still new, an athletic QB that no one had coached against, and an NFL RB and WR.

This year, the O-line is playing better (in general) but all the rest of it is gone.

I do agree with this.

Look at how Purdy played in his first game ever against Okie State last year in Stillwater. Running and pump faking, and throwing darts and just having a blast. Now it seems like they've been teaching him to sit in the pocket this year and wait for things to develop, etc. They just aren't letting him be the "Brock Purdy" we saw last year.

• Agree
Reactions: scratch and 83cy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Ask defensive coaches how much they f'n hate defending the RPO. If you have a QB that is good at it, a good RB and a good TE it is absolutely a beach on LBs. ISU checks all the boxes and we have no RPO, no read option.

I hear in the post game about the looks OSU was giving was dictating a pass heavy game. Just not the case. If that's what they were seeing they flat out got fooled.

OSU had a good game plan but it is easy to do when the opponent refuses to attack your absolute biggest weakness.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I'm starting to think it is the "we are only using these plays this week" thing. Today seemed like we had the "go for broke" play book plays on tap. When we shoulda switched to grind it out, short yards run mode, we couldn't because those weren't in the list today.
Seems like the defensive staff makes good adjustments at half but the offensive staff not so much.

cyclonevac

Feb 11, 2016
Wow, those stupid coaches spent countless hours watching film and preparing for this game. All they had to do was ask some of you because you have the answers. These guys suck. They don’t listen to the fans. They waste time on a teams tendencies. Bring back Rhodes. I am tired of a coaching staff taking us to Bowl games every year. Making the season longer. I long for the good old days.

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN

I thought that was an odd statement as well. I think Purdy had 38 pass attempts at half so it was pretty obvious we weren't running a balanced offense.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

Sighclone44

Aug 18, 2012
This right here. Coach Gundy was telling us....."we are not going to let you beat us throwing". An it's like our staff said......"oh yeah". They had 21 points in the first half on big hitters we don't usually give up....and it's like the staff panicked.
That's us most games....OH YEAH!?!? get over ourselves and take what's there. Breece hall the last three weeks has been the best big 12 RB and chuck it 62 times lol

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I thought that was an odd statement as well. I think Purdy had 38 pass attempts at half so it was pretty obvious we weren't running a balanced offense.

It was like ISU was playing huge deficit catch up when I don't recall them ever being down by more than a possession in the 2nd half. Even if it's two possessions, there was plenty of time to run the ball and get OSU off balance.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I do agree with this.

Look at how Purdy played in his first game ever against Okie State last year in Stillwater. Running and pump faking, and throwing darts and just having a blast. Now it seems like they've been teaching him to sit in the pocket this year and wait for things to develop, etc. They just aren't letting him be the "Brock Purdy" we saw last year.

That is true, they have to figure out how to get Brock Purdy to be Brock Purdy. That involves him putting pressure on the defense with his feet in multiple ways. Designed runs, zone read options, running/scrambling on blitzes, etc...When that happens, it tends to open other things up. Maybe they figure there is more to gain in the long run by making him a pocket passer and he just has to go through a learning curve?

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84