Meltdown time?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I feel like we have the talent to be a 9 win team, but will likely win 6 or 7.

That is almost entirely on the coaching IMO. We are getting less out of this team than we should.... and by a decent margin too.

On the defensive side.... the amount of cushion our DBs give is ridiculous... and their tackling technique is beyond awful.... has been all year. And they all do it too.... even Eisworth. They all put their heads down and try to lay the wood, rarely ever wrap up, and also take terrible angles too.

This is the entire reason Eisworth gets injured every single game. He puts himself, and his health, in a lot of danger on nearly every tackle. And not tackling with your head up and wrapping up cost us the 3 long TDs yesterday.

On the offensive side.... like many have said we seem to have no identity or strategy going into each and every week. Football 101 has always been to establish the run and make the other team stop that.... and then that will open everything else up for you.

So when did OSU ever shut down our running game yesterday to force us to throw the ball 62 times?? I don't remember them ever really shutting down our run game and forcing Purdy to have to throw it on nearly every play, do you?

We ran Purdy on a designed run once that I can remember, and he gained like 7 yards. But we never did it again. When we were in the 3 TE set, they couldn't stop our running, yet we were seldom in that set, and instead just chose to pass all day for whatever reason??

I have a gut feeling that CMC was not a happy camper at all after the game yesterday when he saw we threw it 62 times. Like he said.... "we did not play Iowa State football today.". But my problem with that is.... it's just WAY too late to realize that AFTER the game and to not be able to make the correct changes during the game in order to avoid getting beat.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Kool-Aid-Man-Oh-No.jpg
Is that the Iowa State Kool-Aid after yesterday's loss?

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I feel like we have the talent to be a 9 win team, but will likely win 6 or 7.

That is almost entirely on the coaching IMO. We are getting less out of this team than we should.... and by a decent margin too.

On the defensive side.... the amount of cushion our DBs give is ridiculous... and their tackling technique is beyond awful.... has been all year. And they all do it too.... even Eisworth. They all put their heads down and try to lay the wood, rarely ever wrap up, and also take terrible angles too.

This is the entire reason Eisworth gets injured every single game. He puts himself, and his health, in a lot of danger on nearly every tackle. And not tackling with your head up and wrapping up cost us the 3 long TDs yesterday.

On the offensive side.... like many have said we seem to have no identity or strategy going into each and every week. Football 101 has always been to establish the run and make the other team stop that.... and then that will open everything else up for you.

So when did OSU ever shut down our running game yesterday to force us to throw the ball 62 times?? I don't remember them ever really shutting down our run game and forcing Purdy to have to throw it on nearly every play, do you?

We ran Purdy on a designed run once that I can remember, and he gained like 7 yards. But we never did it again. When we were in the 3 TE set, they couldn't stop our running, yet we were seldom in that set, and instead just chose to pass all day for whatever reason??

I have a gut feeling that CMC was not a happy camper at all after the game yesterday when he saw we threw it 62 times. Like he said.... "we did not play Iowa State football today.". But my problem with that is.... it's just WAY too late to realize that AFTER the game and to not be able to make the correct changes during the game in order to avoid getting beat.

Ah blaming the coaching.

what’s going to be even sadder is how bad you will melt down when he takes another job.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Lineup and 83cy

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Just reading the Nebraska boards and Frost's post-game comments......wowzer........brothers and sisters, we are in such a better place than those mentally disturbed people. They are so freaking deserving too......especially Frost. He doesn't get it. Berating his own players backhandedly and directly. Constantly comparing to a time when they had partial qualifiers and criminals and Big 8 teams with only student athletes and 1/10 the Athletic budget on the schedule......Reality sucks now for them. Love it. They could lose out....and very well may.
Schadenfreude helps me get through some of these tough losses too.

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Was not surprised a thread like this would be going strong. All the great football minds are here second guessing the coaches and players. My question is why are you on here and not looking at your teams next game because as an expert you should be putting together your game plan for IAAEU.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The game planning and calling was the root cause to me. Defensive coaches try to make the other team one dimensional without selling out Do that and you usually win.
DL can just pin their ears back and the OL is on their heels. They also had a LB with no responsibilities other than to spy Purdy on most plays. Purdy was confused and locking in on a receiver. Up to the coaches to adjust to something that works. Most simply that was running the ball against a team that can't stop the run. I think they fooled ISU with pre snap looks big time.
Need RPO and RO. Fits a personnel strength and is a bear to defend.
Bad game by the offensive staff but Manning hasn't been coaching long and is only in his 3rd year as a coordinator. The offense has put up some yards but needs to finish drives and be more consistent.

This has happened a couple times to this staff, where they get fooled into believing that the other team is run blitzing and then they drop 8. At some point in time they just need to see that OSU is not very good against the run, put in the 3 TEs and run the ball no matter what look they get pre-snap. Also need to convince Purdy it is okay to take the 5 yard run if they drop 8 and there is a lane.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
I am looking on the bright side . With our strong snowflake fan base and ISU out of big 12 championship running I know we will be able to find good cheap tickets for Texas if the temp is below 50. Although I would gladly take a win over Oklahoma and an usually warm November day too.

• Dislike
Reactions: Lineup

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Is that the Iowa State Kool-Aid after yesterday's loss?

KoolAid you say....actually the KA was anything from the cheapest beer to busch light and from any brand of rot-gut whiskey right up and including Jim Beam....Jack Daniels...etc.....