Case for B. Ferentz to be Head Coach

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I actually think Brian could make a good coach somewhere, but I don't think it should or could be at Iowa. I hope he does go the smaller school route and then work his way up route.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I actually think Brian could make a good coach somewhere, but I don't think it should or could be at Iowa. I hope he does go the smaller school route and then work his way up route.

Could be, but would Brian's ego allow him to go to a smaller school route first?

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored and ATCy

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

U of I is almost a no win for him, especially without any success at another school. Personally, I don't think he is the type of person to take the route you're talking about. I agree though, it would be best for his HC prospects.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Wonder what makes you think this. I guess 'could' is not exactly a definitive statement, so it's possible. While there are plenty of great coordinators that have flamed out as HCs, I can't think of any that have been relatively unsuccessful coordinators and become good HCs. I don't think you can honestly assess BF as an OC and say he's been successful, or even mediocre. Again, HC is a totally different job that requires different skills, but if say Eric Steinbach had the exact same career path and was in the same position as BF with the same lack of success nobody at all would be talking about him as a HC candidate anywhere.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
So much shade being thrown in this article...

“He would be a great HC... in the MAC...and only because his last name is Ferentz”

All the while he will be an outcoached head coach in the b1g.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Ignoring the overall theme, there are two really dumb points in the article that I don't see anyone saying with a straight face.

First, trying to claim he's not in his position at Iowa because he's KFs son. This whole "coached" under Belichick thing has to just stop. They do realize that dozens of coaches have come to NE and gone, and they go lose elsewhere while the Patriots keep winning. That's just such a stupid idea that someone that "learned the Patriot way" is going to be successful. Given the success of the Patriots under Bill B. it's actually pretty amazing how little success his tree has had. Did he learn some way to get the best player of all time at far and away the most important position in all of sports for two decades?

Second, describing what Iowa does as something developed by "the Ferentzes" as if this is some family business they developed cooperatively. I'm sure as a High Schooler Brian was instrumental in developing the Iowa program.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Wonder what makes you think this. I guess 'could' is not exactly a definitive statement, so it's possible. While there are plenty of great coordinators that have flamed out as HCs, I can't think of any that have been relatively unsuccessful coordinators and become good HCs. I don't think you can honestly assess BF as an OC and say he's been successful, or even mediocre. Again, HC is a totally different job that requires different skills, but if say Eric Steinbach had the exact same career path and was in the same position as BF with the same lack of success nobody at all would be talking about him as a HC candidate anywhere.

The thing is, they really are not trending in the right direction. Stanley has been the QB there forever, and he doesn't seem any better. They have some all conference OL, and they give up sacks, a lot. (One of the things that Stanley is good at is not go down easy when guys have him, so he avoids sacks that way) They really struggle running the ball, again, something unusual about this Iowa team. Their struggles against a very bad Purdue defense is pretty telling.

Reactions: heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The thing is, they really are not trending in the right direction. Stanley has been the QB there forever, and he doesn't seem any better. They have some all conference OL, and they give up sacks, a lot. (One of the things that Stanley is good at is not go down easy when guys have him, so he avoids sacks that way) They really struggle running the ball, again, something unusual about this Iowa team. Their struggles against a very bad Purdue defense is pretty telling.

I think he was spoiled getting Beathard as his first QB. He made BF look really good. BF has tried to essentially run the same offense with Stanley and he just doesn't fit it. It's made him abandon some of what Iowa has been doing well for two decades, which has killed their run game. I hate "back the basics" type of mentality but that's what Iowa needs. If they can't run the HB stretch/power plays their offense has been built around since KF took over, their offense is going to look the way it has this year. Those couple of specific plays are what makes their offense go, obviously the run game but also through the PA pass game to their TE's.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron