And from the "I've heard this before" rumor mill ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Just a little bit ironic when we start declaring which teams need to be removed from the conference (other than Baylor). Aren’t we glad these potential re-alignments didn’t happen during the McDermott/Chizik/Rhoads era?
Not ironic at all.
Unlike the schools mentioned, Iowa State is a founding member of the conference. This is an Iowa St board that’s been around longer than those schools conference members. And realignment did happen in those days, and as a valued member we ended up in a stronger, more lucrative Big 12.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Let's quit fooling ourselves... We all know what needs to be done here... Jettison WV, and form a new Conference I-35... we pick up Minnesota, Wichita St, and UTSA, and form 2 divisions in the new 12 team conference... maybe add Minnesota-Duluth and Emporia St for a 14 team super conference...

McCarney connection ... add North Texas! Right on I-35!

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Not ironic at all.
Unlike the schools mentioned, Iowa State is a founding member of the conference. This is an Iowa St board that’s been around longer than those schools conference members. And realignment did happen in those days, and as a valued member we ended up in a stronger, more lucrative Big 12.

I don't want to look back and think landing on our feet was a given.

By some accounts we were literally minutes away from losing the Big 12 and our place at the table.

That said.....

**** Baylor

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I've dealt in research for over a decade and I've never seen a single thing at ISU or any other university that suggests athletic conference has any impact whatsoever, or is even a thought.
I was only speculating. I'm sure there is some type of prestige involved.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Can we really have two wildcats in the same conference? I had an experience with two wildcats in college once. Almost sent me to the ER. Had to be on pills for a month. I don’t think this would be a good move.
The SEC has 3 tigers and 2 bulldogs so I think we would be okay. But you should never turn your back on a wildcat.

That said, someone mentioned adding UMKC for their kangaroo mascot. I'd like to see Bevo and a full size kangaroo in close proximity. Seems like it would be a little more interesting than this was.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We should have added BYU and Houston last time around.

Two cougars at the same time?

Gif0_two_chicks.gif

• Winner

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We should have added BYU and Houston last time around.

Two cougars at the same time?
No Houston. No more Texas schools. Better to have them than Baylor but every additional Texas school not named A&M adds nothing and gets us closer to the SWC that was a disaster.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
What does the Big 12 gain by adding these schools? What does ISU gain by adding these schools?

What I’m getting at is I like the 10 team conference, I don’t want to split revenue with more schools, and if the conference geographically moves southwest we are a natural school to be left out.
It will never move too far west. That timezone is what kills them. The central timezones are the most attractive.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Then don’t.
I’m sure some older fans were pissing themselves, and still do when looking back.

Not sure what age has to do with any of this. JP said they were just trying to hold on to the Tiger's tail. The forgotten schools were guaranteeing payoffs to the larger schools. We were minutes from 4 schools going to the PAC

If anyone thought we were guaranteed a spot in the P5 during that time then I'll have whatever they were drinking.

Maybe the "kids" just didn't know how potentially ****** we could have been

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
If we're going to add the Arizona schools we better dump WV (because geography) and Baylor (because **** Baylor) and stay at a ten team conference.

Finally some words of wisdom....Look how 14 teams are working out for the Little Fourteen re the football playoffs...NOT GOOD.....Stick with 10 teams and dump Baylor and West VA.....

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Swaim is a buffoon. Went to Okie State and saw Bill Self in a class once and now he considers them to be friends. Later, he became the Van Coleman of Oklahoma as well as having a talk radio show.

That said, I will play
I love the round robin and don't want it to end- if it does for the sake of inventory and rivalry- here it goes

Big 6 Division
ISU
KU
KSU
Mizzou
OU
OSU

Southwest Division
Arizona
ASU
Arkansas
UT
TT
TCU

Annual games to be played as non conf
OU vs UT / Mizzou vs Arkansas / KU vs U of A / OSU vs TTU / KSU vs TCU / ISU vs ASU

Each school plays a protected rival annually but for non conf record. Eventually, the playoff model will regulate 12 P5 games for all but that day is way off
This is exactly how I wish our conference was aligned as far as teams go. Part with BU and WVU (Belongs in SEC or ACC anyway) and get arizona schools, Missouri back and Arkansas

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Ames to Lawrence: 268 miles
Ames to Manhattan: 349 miles
Ames to Stillwater: 548 miles

Morgantown to Lawrence: 900 miles
Morgantown to Manhattan: 996 miles
Morgantown to Stillwater: 1084 miles

Ames to Morgantown: 862 miles

We're north but we're not the outlier. Which logo looks the most out of place geographically here?
202d71ad1870748dc4fc92bcb8460ac4.png

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I was only speculating. I'm sure there is some type of prestige involved.

I don't think conference affiliation drives views of academics at all at a given school. It has no impact on ability to get research $, and I don't think it has any impact on a school's academic reputation. For example, the BIG is considered a good academic conference because it has some schools with great programs like NW, Purdue, Michigan, etc. These schools aren't considered good academically because they are in the Big 10. The SEC probably has the worst "conference" academic reputation, certainly much worse than PAC, Big10 or ACC, but no one is going to think for a second that Nebraska, Oregon State, or Pitt are remotely close to Vandy.

In fact, I'd say academic prestige of an overall school itself is really pretty meaningless. Employers know what programs within those schools are better. For example an Aerospace Engineering grad from Purdue is a lot more sought after than one from any Ivy League school.

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not sure what age has to do with any of this. JP said they were just trying to hold on to the Tiger's tail. The forgotten schools were guaranteeing payoffs to the larger schools. We were minutes from 4 schools going to the PAC

If anyone thought we were guaranteed a spot in the P5 during that time then I'll have whatever they were drinking.

Maybe the "kids" just didn't know how potentially ****** we could have been

I also think it's easy to see the current state of the PAC and think that it was crazy that OU and UT would leave for what has since become a dumpster fire. It was not that way at the time, though I think there were signs that it was headed for trouble. Easy to say that with hindsight. I don't know how anyone can say with confidence that we were never going to be left out.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
In fact, I'd say academic prestige of an overall school itself is really pretty meaningless. Employers know what programs within those schools are better. For example an Aerospace Engineering grad from Purdue is a lot more sought after than one from any Ivy League school.

I would disagree with this pretty strongly. It can be, but it usually is not.

You are right there are certain industries/sectors that have a small number of companies and a few well-known programs out there where having a certain degree from a certain program matters. This is especially true in something like engineering where the degree program does somewhat lead into the content of the job itself. I know some medical school admissions directors, and while they look at MCAT scores the most heavily, they consider a 3.8 from UVA or VT a much stronger indicator of academic ability as the same thing from ODU and the like.

Most jobs for graduates are about hiring the quality of the brain less than anything they learned in school. When you are in that rat race, having a degree in whatever from Harvard is going to do you better than having one from Westfield State. Wall Street banks and consulting firms in Boston, New York, and DC hire English majors from Ivy League schools before they will look at accounting, economics, and finance majors from UMass-Lowell. Go River Hawks.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I don't care what happens when the music stops, so long as Iowa State has a chair to sit on...and the hoks are in the MAC.