Purdy ESPN Heisman List #7

barryb4384

Jun 30, 2006
Looks like 75-1, not 750-1. I don't think he'll win...this year. I just like the publicity! Changed the thread title. I didn't realize ESPN gives the entire field 30-1 odds.

Before seeing this post, I actually put $2 on Purdy and it was 750-1 odds. Said $2 would win $1500 (and some change), so it is actually 750-1. Don't think he will win (and my bet cashes), but I had some extra money from the NBA Opening Night promo they did so figured why not.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
This is only partially true. As I recall he had the attention of voters in 5 of the 6 Heisman voting regions. Only the South (excluding the Southwest) went for Wuerffel but by such a commanding margin he ended up winning it. I have no doubt that SEC area voters made a concerted effort to not vote the best rivals 2nd or 3rd on their ballots to make sure one of their own won the award.
Troy finishing 5th in 1995 and 2nd in 1996 was an Amazing Feat! Did not mind that he lost to Danny Wuerffel - who set a record for QB rating efficiency and threw for 5 TD passes against the #1 ranked pass defense (Alabama) in the SEC Championship Game. I wanted Troy to win, but Danny was very worthy. At least he lost to somebody at a different position.

• Disagree
Reactions: xboxfever

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Might as well be a million to one. If Troy can't win it, then no ISU player will. Too much reading the front of the jersey.
The problem with Troy was the era and where Iowa State was at in those days, we have come a long way since then. You put Troy on one of the teams the last couple years or this years team, he wins. You put him on a 9 win ISU team, he wins. It has never really been about the actual player, it is only the best player on the best teams.

What Troy did was way more impressive in those days, with how terrible we really were, and how bad our blocking was for him. But we handed him the ball 40 times and away he went. And with the very minimal TV coverage ISU got in those days. It took a lot for people to even know who he was.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The problem with Troy was the era and where Iowa State was at in those days, we have come a long way since then. You put Troy on one of the teams the last couple years or this years team, he wins. You put him on a 9 win ISU team, he wins. It has never really been about the actual player, it is only the best player on the best teams.

What Troy did was way more impressive in those days, with how terrible we really were, and how bad our blocking was for him. But we handed him the ball 40 times and away he went. And with the very minimal TV coverage ISU got in those days. It took a lot for people to even know who he was.
Troy was great, but his blocking was not terrible. ISU had offensive linemen who were decent run blockers but highly suspect blocking for the pass. Tim Kohn made all conference teams in 1995 and '96, with Pat Augafa joining him in '96. The receivers on that team also were dialed in on blocking for the run as you might suspect when they have that good of a back to block for.

In addition the defense on those teams was as big of a problem as anything. ISU's average score in '95 was 24-37 and in '96 it was 28-36. In those days before everyone in the conference was running a spread, 28 points a game should have been good enough to win more than 2 games.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Hiesman formula for nearly every voter:
Best offensive player on the team I think is going to be ranked #1 to end the year.

Lamar Jackson won it a Louisville and that team ended up 9-4 and ranked #20. They lost their last 2 regular season games and their bowl game as well, so they were ranked as high as #3.

Purdy would need to be statistically phenomenal and ISU would need to get to or most likely win the Big 12 Championship.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Troy was great, but his blocking was not terrible. ISU had offensive linemen who were decent run blockers but highly suspect blocking for the pass. Tim Kohn made all conference teams in 1995 and '96, with Pat Augafa joining him in '96. The receivers on that team also were dialed in on blocking for the run as you might suspect when they have that good of a back to block for.

In addition the defense on those teams was as big of a problem as anything. ISU's average score in '95 was 24-37 and in '96 it was 28-36. In those days before everyone in the conference was running a spread, 28 points a game should have been good enough to win more than 2 games.
Yes, ISU had maulers that could run block, good FB play and TEs that could run block. Run blocking was far better in Troys days than what Montgomery had. The league was more defense-oriented in Troys day, though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Lamar Jackson won it a Louisville and that team ended up 9-4 and ranked #20. They lost their last 2 regular season games and their bowl game as well, so they were ranked as high as #3.

Purdy would need to be statistically phenomenal and ISU would need to get to or most likely win the Big 12 Championship.
Keep in mind that the Heisman is awarded before bowl season so a bowl game loss or win and any post bowl ranking isn't in the equation.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

scratch

Jan 28, 2018
Personally I think the Heisman is a joke. When a guy has back to back 2000 yard seasons and doesn't win it. And we all know who that was !!!! It became a popularity award. Don't pay much attention to it anymore. I understand him getting passed up the first year .....but the second year ....come on.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Personally I think the Heisman is a joke. When a guy has back to back 2000 yard seasons and doesn't win it. And we all know who that was !!!! It became a popularity award. Don't pay much attention to it anymore. I understand him getting passed up the first year .....but the second year ....come on.
Keep in mind that he did it with true 11 game seasons. He didn't get to play in a bowl game but bowl game stats weren't included in season stats at that time anyway. Today there is a 12 game regular season along with conference championship games and a bowl game or even a 2 game playoff. So many of today's 2000 yard rushers are doing it in 13-15 games.

There are only two instances where a player has only played 11 games and rushed for 2000 yards. In both instances the player was wearing a cardinal and gold #28.

Heck, the only players to only play 12 games and get more yards in a season than Troy did in '96 were Tomlinson, Williams, Allen and Sanders. It probably should say it all that I didn't have to identify the first names of those players.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Keep in mind that he did it with true 11 game seasons. He didn't get to play in a bowl game but bowl game stats weren't included in season stats at that time anyway. Today there is a 12 game regular season along with conference championship games and a bowl game or even a 2 game playoff. So many of today's 2000 yard rushers are doing it in 13-15 games.

There are only two instances where a player has only played 11 games and rushed for 2000 yards. In both instances the player was wearing a cardinal and gold #28.

Heck, the only players to only play 12 games and get more yards in a season than Troy did in '96 were Tomlinson, Williams, Allen and Sanders. It probably should say it all that I didn't have to identify the first names of those players.
Barry Sanders only played in 11 games when he had 2600 yds. Otherwise correct.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Barry Sanders only played in 11 games when he had 2600 yds. Otherwise correct.
I was also looking at a list that had all of the bowl game numbers added back in which put Tomlinson and Williams ahead of Troy but without the bowls (11 games) they were behind him. Marcus Allen also was ahead of Troy without the bowl and just 11 games.

I was not trying to throw shade at Marcus and Barry. Both were better backs than Troy.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I am glad I got to see Troy live. One of my first memories in JTS. You can't describe accurately how next level that guy was without seeing him slice a defense the way he did. Shoulder pads clanging around and all.

Reactions: heitclone

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA

Bo Williams? I hear he was pretty good.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I am glad I got to see Troy live. One of my first memories in JTS. You can't describe accurately how next level that guy was without seeing him slice a defense the way he did. Shoulder pads clanging around and all.

I had a family member that worked at ISU who could score field passes during the TD era. I was in jr high/early high school and remember thinking, how in the hell does anyone tackle this guy. I can remember teams were always pumped up and tackled decent early in the game but as it wore on, their will just disappeared, they didn't want any of him. I remember one particular play against KU (I think), TD was slowing up near the sideline to go out of bounds, a DB flew in, hit him directly on his thigh pad, put a great hit on him but he just bounced off and fell to the ground. About 10 of us fans just laughed right in his face, TD just kind of looked down at him and tossed the ball the refs. Just a beast.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
If Breece Hall continues his pace from the last couple of games and develops in the offseason, he could be a legitimate threat to get 2,000 yards next year - that should be an automatic invite.

Gotta replace 4 seniors that start or play sig. Minutes. Tall task. OL hasnt been stellar, but hall has been excellent at using what he has been given.

• Agree
Reactions: TykeClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I had a family member that worked at ISU who could score field passes during the TD era. I was in jr high/early high school and remember thinking, how in the hell does anyone tackle this guy. I can remember teams were always pumped up and tackled decent early in the game but as it wore on, their will just disappeared, they didn't want any of him. I remember one particular play against KU (I think), TD was slowing up near the sideline to go out of bounds, a DB flew in, hit him directly on his thigh pad, put a great hit on him but he just bounced off and fell to the ground. About 10 of us fans just laughed right in his face, TD just kind of looked down at him and tossed the ball the refs. Just a beast.
I wish I could find the quote but one opposing defender was quoted as saying that tackling Troy was like trying to tackle a cube.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
9 win Iowa State is the same as 2 win Iowa State in the minds of too many award voters. Lanning not winning the Hornung award because Barkley from Penn St has to win. Monte not remaining on the Cousy award team because some other blue chip player needs to win.

Call me cynical, but I have zero faith in the people voting for these awards choosing anyone other than players on media darlings.
I think I have a surprise for you. Iowa State, Matt Campbell, Brock Purdy and kids like Breece Hall are blossoming into media darlings right before our eyes.

Keep on winning, win big, and ISU is going to be a Cinderella story media darling for everyone.

• Winner
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin

I remember TD would injure people on runs. Not just DBs but linebackers and linemen. I don't think I've ever seen a RB truck people the way TD did.