SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I didn't remember the part about telling the babysitter he would be back in 30 minutes.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I thought that CMC initially contacted ISU when the positioned opened up. He was familiar with us somewhat we played in 2015 and liked what he saw all the way around. Just a rumor I guess.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yorel Fusspucker

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I thought that CMC initially contacted ISU when the positioned opened up. He was familiar with us somewhat we played in 2015 and liked what he saw all the way around. Just a rumor I guess.

No. The story that was always peddled was that Campbell came to Ames and told his wife after the game that he could see themselves here. You have to be completely gullible to believe that story though. I think the truth is pretty much what the article said---he had very little interest in moving on, but gave Jamie some time to convince him, and remembered that the fan support in Ames was really good. And, frankly, that is still a good story for all involved.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Here is the Register story from the time of Campbell's hire. I could well be wrong, but I don't recall hearing that he contacted ISU about the opening. The only detail in this new Washington Post story I don't recall hearing before is that he only met with Pollard as a courtesy. That seems a little at odds with how much he liked ISU after his 2014 visit here with Toledo - even calling his wife to tell her he could envision them living here someday - but he's also said how he thought he might end up at Toledo forever and been fine with that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
That's by one of our better sports journalists and authors, John Feinstein. I miss his short lived national sports talk show. Couldn't get the ratings because it was not bombastic or controversial or stupid enough for talk radio. Guy had great guests and smart talk rather than controversial guests and shock talk.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Here is the Register story from the time of Campbell's hire. I could well be wrong, but I don't recall hearing that he contacted ISU about the opening. The only detail in this new Washington Post story I don't recall hearing before is that he only met with Pollard as a courtesy. That seems a little at odds with how much he liked ISU after his 2014 visit here with Toledo - even calling his wife to tell her he could envision them living here someday - but he's also said how he thought he might end up at Toledo forever and been fine with that.

That part about only meeting with pollard as a courtesy was also discussed in a podcast CW did with Campbell awhile back where he described the whole process.

• Informative
Reactions: Trice

Help Support Us

Become a patron