SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
giphy.gif

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
One correction. It has been in a state of crisis ever since the loss to Trinidad & Tobago. It never went away, it’s been in a perpetual state. Same ****, different day for years.
True, but at least they played with some heart for a bit under Sacharan.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I've always felt that sacking klinsmen was a knee-jerk reaction and they should have supported him considering the trajectory he had us on at the time. Steps backwards are inevitable when shifting from older players to younger ones and they just pulled the trigger on his job without any plan whatsoever for what would come next.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Clown show. Aside from all of the other crap the tactics that Berhalter employs are the same crap Unai Emery and a bunch of other jerk off coaches are trying to employ in Europe all the while watching the true pressing teams like Liverpool, Scum, and City have success year after year in the EPL and in Europe.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I've always felt that sacking klinsmen was a knee-jerk reaction and they should have supported him considering the trajectory he had us on at the time. Steps backwards are inevitable when shifting from older players to younger ones and they just pulled the trigger on his job without any plan whatsoever for what would come next.

They sacked Klinssman because he was telling the young players to go to Europe and it was competing against what USSF was trying to do which was grow the domestic product (MLS) which is what has lead us to this point.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
They sacked Klinssman because he was telling the young players to go to Europe and it was competing against what USSF was trying to do which was grow the domestic product (MLS) which is what has lead us to this point.

Yep. Set the precedent no great manager is going to come here under that kind of directive. We’re screwed for awhile.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
It just seems like the U.S. has lost the toughness, grit and tenacity that used to be hallmarks of our program. That's really disappointing.

I don't think a lot of these young guys are as good as everyone thinks though. I think a lot of our better young guys (McKennie, Sargent, Brooks, etc.) have found good situations with their club teams. Give me a Dempsey, Beasley, or Bocanegra any day over the 3 young guys. Hope I'm wrong and 5 years we look back at this post, but I don't think the talent improvement is as great as people think either. Pulisic is special, but he's going through a tough stretch right now that hopefully will only make him better.

Tough to see the team flounder like this.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
It just seems like the U.S. has lost the toughness, grit and tenacity that used to be hallmarks of our program. That's really disappointing.

I don't think a lot of these young guys are as good as everyone thinks though. I think a lot of our better young guys (McKennie, Sargent, Brooks, etc.) have found good situations with their club teams. Give me a Dempsey, Beasley, or Bocanegra any day over the 3 young guys. Hope I'm wrong and 5 years we look back at this post, but I don't think the talent improvement is as great as people think either. Pulisic is special, but he's going through a tough stretch right now that hopefully will only make him better.

Ya the past generations are always better than the current generations. This is true all the time in all aspects of life. McKennie, Pulisic and Adams are three players that are tough and you can build around. I think the perceived lack of toughness is because we haven't had a fighter/ leader on our team since Jermaine Jones was sent to pasture. Bradley and Howard had the armband but JJ was the leader of those teams. The fact that all our guys came up coddled is another aspect of "toughness" that doesn't get talked about either. Dempsey came out of the mexican men's leagues of Nagadoches, TX. Pay to play has some really serious problems, and this "toughness" aspect is part of it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

That’s not really the issue. A NT of our stature is never going to be able to rely on a tactical and technical advantage. We need a coach/program set up on athleticism and toughness. A Klopp style press or a counter attacking set up is what we need. Use the strength of the team to cover the weakness of our individual players, especially defensively.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Honestly, I think the players would look a hell of a lot better playing a different style of ball. They look like they are confused on the field and are not able to just react to the flow of the game. They are having to think too much which keeps them a step behind on the attack.

• Agree
Reactions: BLRNerd

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Alex Morgan announced that she's expecting a baby girl with Husband Servando Carassco in April

Berhalter and Stewart are in Amsterdam as well because Sergino Dest is making his decision this week. Also visited Pynadaeth as well who's with Ajax's lower teams

Last edited:

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Honestly, I think the players would look a hell of a lot better playing a different style of ball. They look like they are confused on the field and are not able to just react to the flow of the game. They are having to think too much which keeps them a step behind on the attack.

The lack of "aggressiveness" comes from not having faith in the system. Eventually you just go back to a 4-4-2 that everyone has played since they were 8 years old and try and out athlete the Canada's of the World.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The lack of "aggressiveness" comes from not having faith in the system. Eventually you just go back to a 4-4-2 that everyone has played since they were 8 years old and try and out athlete the Canada's of the World.

a lot of coaches in the world are overthinking things right now. Instead of setting up to try and stop the build out of the back 3-5-2/4-5-1 with the high wing backs everyone is just trying to outdo each other with the same setup even with tactically deficient midfields.

Bergalters system will never work with an international squad it requires too much structured passing and movement that can’t be gained with limited time working on it.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
a lot of coaches in the world are overthinking things right now. Instead of setting up to try and stop the build out of the back 3-5-2/4-5-1 with the high wing backs everyone is just trying to outdo each other with the same setup even with tactically deficient midfields.

Bergalters system will never work with an international squad it requires too much structured passing and movement that can’t be gained with limited time working on it.

Ya everyone wants to be the genius coach instead of just doing what Gareth Southgate has done at England and been like, here is a ball, feed Harry Kane.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
For those that are interested in following the younger guys, the U17 World Cup starts this weekend. The US teenagers have their first group stage match tomorrow against Senegal on FS1.

GOALKEEPERS (3): 21-Aaron Cervantes (Orange County SC; Chino Hills, Calif.; 4/0), 1-Damian Las (Fulham/ENG; Norridge, Ill.; 19/0), 12-Chituru Odunze (Leicester City/ENG; London, England; 7/0)

DEFENDERS (7): 15-Sebastian Anderson (Colorado Rapids; Highlands Ranch, Colo.; 4/0), 13-Adam Armour (North Carolina FC; Cary, N.C.; 18/0), 3-George Bello (Atlanta United FC; Douglasville, Ga.; 8/1), 4-Nicolas Carrera (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas; 3/0), 14-Tayvon Gray (New York City FC; Bronx, N.Y.; 17/0), 5-Kobe Hernandez-Foster (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.; 23/3), 2-Joe Scally (New York City FC; Lake Grove, N.Y.; 19/1)

MIDFIELDERS (5): 18-Maximilian Dietz (Freiburg/GER; Frankfurt, Germany; 2/0), 17-Ethan Dobbelaere (Seattle Sounders FC; Seattle, Wash.; 3/0), 8-Bryang Kayo (Orange County SC; Poolesville, Md.; 8/1), 6-Daniel Leyva (Seattle Sounders FC; Las Vegas, Nev.; 7/0), 16-Adam Saldana (LA Galaxy; Panorama City, Calif.; 25/2)

FORWARDS (6): 7-Gianluca Busio (Sporting Kansas City; Greensboro, N.C.; 15/7), 20-Andres Jasson (New York City FC; Greenwich, Conn.; 11/1), 19-Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez (Seattle Sounders FC; Merced, Calif.; 24/9), 9-Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; McKinney, Texas; 15/5), 10-Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; Bedford, N.Y.; 15/8), 11-Griffin Yow (D.C. United; Clifton, Va.; 12/7)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron